Buying advice please!

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum but have been reading numerous existing threads regarding buying advice, but just wanted to get a few opinions on this LR 110.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/land-rover-landrover-defender-110-diesel-300tdi-mechanically-perfect-prof-restored-respray/1037706264#photo-content

I'm looking for a 110 van to use in Scottish winters, and occasionally sleep in and don't have much mechanical knowledge at present, hence I'm looking at recently restored models that don't need too much doing to them.

Does the pricing seem about right?

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke

A bit on the dear side for an 86 . the rear side facing seats are just about unusable , some chassis welding , if it had said replacement galv chassis might have been a different opinion HTSH

example of whats about

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defender-110-Crew-Cab-Pickup-2002-A-Storry-4x4-/321254340502?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4acc403796

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-110-TD5-STATION-WAGON-LOW-MILEAGE-WHITE-/190980076502?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2c774cb3d6

just examples not saying go and buy one !!

Agree with the other two post's. 110 hardtops don't command as much money as say other examples like the Station Wagon to start with and for that price you are in the TD5 bracket. As tach said if it was on a galvanized chassis then it would be a good buy but as it's not I think it's priced high.

I have those little side windows in my hardtop and they are a fantastic improvement in visibility

They also take about 30 seconds to remove so some additional security is essential.

One last thing, are those wheels rated for a 110 weight?

HTH

If I were you I would buy something as standard as possible. All you need is a snow cowl and some decent tyres theses can easily be fitted to any land rover you buy, as for sleeping in it everyone has different ideas so you may as well have a blank canvass.

You might be able to find an ex utilities td5 with a diesel heater and good service history? Do you want something that looks tidy, this will probably be the biggest influence on your choice of vehicle.

Will.

As far as sleeping in a Defender goes, I think you have made the right choice! The 110 hardtop is the most spacious by far! Insulation is essential though. If it doesn't have a headlining then fit one (or use carpet or camping mats etc) otherwise you will wake up in the middle of the night with condensation dripping on your face (don't ask me how I know!!) :wacko: :wacko:

As has been said, the example on Gumtree does seem expensive. I know it has had some work done it and some goodies fitted, but you should be able to get something a little cheaper and perhaps slightly younger.

Okay cool, I'm coming round to something a bit more standard with a few knocks here and there, and requiring a little bit of work.

Something like -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defender-110-/141119094633?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20db5a7f69

I think I'm after a TDI from what I've read about simplicity/fixability.

Would you say that its worth trying to get a galvanised chassis? I'd like this vehicle to last as long as possible.

Thanks all.

As far as sleeping in a Defender goes, I think you have made the right choice!

Think very carefully about this choice. Are you absolutely sure that you won’t need to transport more than one passenger? Even as young+free+single chap I realised that cutting about in a 110 HT was ok, transporting sideways facing passengers off-road/green lanes was fine, but wasn’t going to cut it on road. So I ended up converting my HT to a utility station wagon. Not an issue as I’m doing a complete rebuild, but it would’ve been easier to start out with a station wagon.

I’m not alone, there are many threads on this and other forums about options for rear seats for a hard top, usually because the poster has had a family and doesn’t want to give up the Landie, but needs to safely transport his/her progeny, as well as their partner. Now, there are options (Exmoor trim lock and fold), but they ain’t cheap.

As for sleeping arrangements, as has been said, you have a blank canvas, plenty of pics online. Most build a platform to get that little bit of extra length, a 110 HT load area isn’t long enough for most people. An SW isn’t necessarily worse, in fact I contend that the lack of rear bulkhead will make it easier. You will definitely need to build a sleeping platform, have a look at JasonG110’s Build thread for an example.

Some dimensions below for the load area:

post-20525-0-44694700-1385380691_thumb.jpg

Think very carefully about this choice. Are you absolutely sure that you won’t need to transport more than one passenger? Even as young+free+single chap I realised that cutting about in a 110 HT was ok, transporting sideways facing passengers off-road/green lanes was fine, but wasn’t going to cut it on road. So I ended up converting my HT to a utility station wagon. Not an issue as I’m doing a complete rebuild, but it would’ve been easier to start out with a station wagon.

I’m not alone, there are many threads on this and other forums about options for rear seats for a hard top, usually because the poster has had a family and doesn’t want to give up the Landie, but needs to safely transport his/her progeny, as well as their partner. Now, there are options (Exmoor trim lock and fold), but they ain’t cheap.

As for sleeping arrangements, as has been said, you have a blank canvas, plenty of pics online. Most build a platform to get that little bit of extra length, a 110 HT load area isn’t long enough for most people. An SW isn’t necessarily worse, in fact I contend that the lack of rear bulkhead will make it easier. You will definitely need to build a sleeping platform, have a look at JasonG110’s Build thread for an example.

Some dimensions below for the load area:

attachicon.gifnormal_image~25.jpg

Exmoor Trim offer forward facing foldaway seats. Sadly the lock and fold models (which are VCA approved) are expensive!!