R380 gear oil . Redline mtl 75w-80?

MTF94 is the LR specification, changed from the earlier Dextron III or similar. It helps with the gear changes on older units and makes the unit much smoother and quieter than than the original ATF. There seem to be varying opinions about Difflocks's later substitute (I can't remember the name just now), but I haven't tried it and so can't recommend for or against, but MTF94 certainly seems better than the ATF previously in my RRC's R380.

I tried the Redline for 12k miles and then switched to MTF94 to see if I could notice a difference.

No perceived difference at all.

I will use which ever of the two is cheaper when I come to change next.....

I have to used the Redline in my Transfer box because of my RoverDrive Overdrive so it may be simpler to just buy the Redline in volume for future changes....

Just use ATF. I've tried ATF, mtf and evo1 in quick succession in a recon lt77 gearbox. Once I've used the evo1 up, I'll be using ATF as there is naff all difference between them. ATF was fine in the r380 for a fair time, until mtf94 came out...

As an addition, Evo1 dealt much worse with my gkn overdrive than ATF. The evo came out very burnt after 4k miles whereas the ATF is good for 6-8k

Recently i used ATF Penzoil Dexron and i think it ruined my box. I now have Redline MTL in the new box. I could not get MTF94 in the USA. I still think MTF94 is the best oil and i never had any problems even when it was VERY VERY HOT. I do change the oil early usually. As i now have a new box its difficult to say if the MTL oil is causing the slight sticking into second but i will not be using American Dexron again and will stick to Redline MTL.

I (and several friends) are using Redline MTL in the R380 (NOT THE TRANSFER BOX). It gives a wonderful gearchange caused by it's high coefficient of friction which helps the synchro cones to slow down. The other thing is that as it is a fully-synthetic it contains no additives to wear out so it never needs to be changed which offsets the high initial cost. I have used ATF (long time ago now) MTF (I got 20 litres at one time - all gone now) and now MTL. Gearchange still perfect at 200k miles.

BTW I change gear in two movements - into neutral, pause and then into the next gear. No graunching. I sometimes double-declutch just to keep in practice :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

Would the Redline MTL also work in the Puma's gearbox (Getrag MT-82)?

Also, where do you source it?

I (and several friends) are using Redline MTL in the R380 (NOT THE TRANSFER BOX). It gives a wonderful gearchange caused by it's high coefficient of friction which helps the synchro cones to slow down. The other thing is that as it is a fully-synthetic it contains no additives to wear out so it never needs to be changed which offsets the high initial cost. I have used ATF (long time ago now) MTF (I got 20 litres at one time - all gone now) and now MTL. Gearchange still perfect at 200k miles.

BTW I change gear in two movements - into neutral, pause and then into the next gear. No graunching. I sometimes double-declutch just to keep in practice :-)

Redline MTL may only show slight improvement compared with other options at normal operating conditions , its when things become extreme that it shows its worth , either low or high temps , and being worked hard . I saw its worth with many utilisations in vehicles in Australia , all the owners were well satisfied , over time especially in their rebuilt gearboxes. JMHE