Battery light came on in flood

Hi All,

It's been quite a while since I was on the forum but thought I would just ask a question.

Tonight I came through some fairly deep standing water on a flooded lane on my way home. I didnt spot it until I was right in it. The water was not deep but deep enough to send water high over the bonnet log flume style :o

Anyway my battery light came on on my 200tdi 90 and then slowly faded out twice!

I didnt loose power or any lights but just wonder wether it was water flooding the alternator?

Or the split charge system being flooded in the battery box. I checked the battery box and found that the water had indeed flooded the split charge solenoid ...But would this cause the battery light to come on?

If it is the alternator is it on its way out? Or do I just need to give it a good going over with WD40.

If it is the alternator why doesnt this hapen when you see people wading across deep water???

Thoughts...please

Cheers

J2J

I didnt notice the steering but then again I was just going straight at that point.

If water gets into alternater how can I gaurd against this other than not driving into standing water like an eedjit :unsure:.

When you see people wading through seemingly rushing rivers dont they encounter this?

could I perhaps spray the alternator with some kind of water dispersal stuff?

Just thinking aloud :ph34r: .

Thanks for the replies by the way

Wot he said...

Between, say, November till late April my drive home involves 20 to 30 metres of axle-deep standing water. My battery light always comes on if it's dark (lights and fan running), not always during the day (no lights...).

I have far more more problems caused by continual drenching of starter motors than alternators, tho not in the 110...