90 sw a family car?

scoaf

Hello everyone, I need some advice.

I have just put a deposit on a 2009 90 SW XS in part ex for my F2 2010 HSE. I also have a 1986 90 ex mod which I plan to sell. My reasons were

1. Running 2 cars too expensive.

2. Freelander 2 depreciation is more than SW

3. Combination of the 2 vehicles.

4. Versatility for 4 dogs.

5. Safari roof rack for extra storage.

Anyway my wife hit the roof! No suitable etcetera I was hoping for advice as to if it is a ridiculous move. Could I swap out cubby box for 3rd seat that is baby/child friendly?

Any advice would be appreciated. 110 are too big for me btw!

I've run a TD5 90CSW for a decade or so as my main car. I don't have a family, so the rear seats have spent 99.9% of their time folded up. The back-space is fine for "Dogs and Logs" duty - I've got a section of stable-matting cut to sit on top of the rear floor-area, which both protects the standard carpet-thing and provides additional sound-dampening. The usual German Shepherd canine passenger has been trained to sit in the back and not try to invade the driver/passenger space.

I fitted Koni gas-filled shock-absorbers which gave a spectacular stability-improvement, specially when towing our big 3.5 ton Bateson flatbed.

The worst thing about running a Defender as a daily-driver is the noise, specially when doing 300-mile legal-limit-plus-20% cruise duty on motorways. You get rather used to 22MPG, specially when you can pass the fuel-bills on to clients.

As I understand it you can't fit a centre seat due to the legalities that a late model like yours must adhere to. That said you can't fit a child seat on a centre seat anyway.

Mine is a daily driver and it's a hardtop - no rear seats. My wife sits in the middle and a child seat in the passenger seat. I need to look at fitting a forward facing rear seat in the back if we are going to start driving into Europe though....

I guess your answer is all down to what your wife actually makes of it .... ?

Negatives are:

Noisy, quite a bit of maintenance, poor economy, back seats are impractical, usually let water in etc etc

Positives are:

I love it.

Don't know if that's much help ? :)

Mrs S and myself are empty nesters but I always transport my working dogs in a dog box as, in an emergency braking scenario, an unrestrained dog in the back becomes a missile. A dog guard may stop it hitting you but probably does a huge amount of trauma to the animal. Problem is a dog box helps restricts the distance a dog can travel and

reduces impact but a box suitable for 2 Spaniel sized dogs means that you cannot use the fold down rear seats.Usinga fixed halter for dogs is an alternative but IMHO is not ideal.

Barry

We have a 90 and a disco 1(at the moment) both are dailys we have 2 kids 3.5 and 0.5 years the disco is great but rear seat belts are a bit short. The 90 has fwd facing rear seats which are a right pain with 2 kid seats we normal end up with 1 in the front the 2nd and wife in the rear (i'm way to tall for the rear) you would struggle to get anything bar a hand bag in the back aswell. But the bottom line is it is doable. Oh and it's I believe illegal to have a dog guard in front of the rear seats as only one door so a mate was informed by a copper. My advice would be stick with the freelander if you don't off-road much or buy either a disco or a 110 sw.

Mike

We had a D1 and a Defender, both '98 300TDi's, and needed to change the D1 so we had a go in a new Defender and Freelander but I'm afraid to say we didn't buy either and have moved away from LR! Still got them both but the D1 will go after Xmas.

Good luck.

Thanks but the discos don't really float my boat. Beautiful cars (3/4) but too expensive to run etc.

My wife loves my 1986 90 so she should love a 2009 xs model.

I had a freelander 1. It was awful! Sorry.

We don't have any children yet. Only dogs. 4 of them.

Would a defender hold its value better then? In that case I may get the 90 and then trade up for a 110 when children are imminent.

Thanks for advice everyone.

Def 90 with good file of bills for everything if you are going to service it yourself or a FSH will of course in time to come have a very appreciable resale value as soon as production stops watch the prices rise of even the tattiest tat!!!

Although you can bet a 90 will be worth more than a 110 of same age and service quality too as it still has "Rugged, Must have bling" attached to it" in the form of being seen in a chelsea tratter.

Thanks but the discos don't really float my boat. Beautiful cars (3/4) but too expensive to run etc.

My wife loves my 1986 90 so she should love a 2009 xs model.

I had a freelander 1. It was awful! Sorry.

We don't have any children yet. Only dogs. 4 of them.

Would a defender hold its value better then? In that case I may get the 90 and then trade up for a 110 when children are imminent.

Thanks for advice everyone.

Sorry didn't realize you don't have kids yet in which case the 90 would be fine then trade up to a 110 when/if kids are on the horizon. Defender depreciation is glacial compared to most any other car.

Mike

I had a 90 hard top, and while it was tight with my girlfriend and our, at the time, 18 month old, it did us fine for a two day drive from central Ireland to Mull.

I have since replaced it with a 110 CSW and have to agree with Retroanaconda, the seats in the back aren't huge but my daughter loves it now, and you can fit 2 other adults in there with the childs seat, and the space in the back is amazingly versatile!

If you were to compare all 4 options; Defender 110; Defender 90; Discovery or Freelander the Discovery would make more sense every time apart from resale value (and the fact you don't like it)

If I had no children I'd have the 90 back in a heart beat but I love the 110 as well.

I've driven and owned all of the above and the 90 was without a doubt my favourite, but it has to be either a 110 or Discovery for practicality.

So……. Buy a 90 then!!

Hope that was absolutely no help at all :D

Mat

Happy Christmas!! (and I'm just back from Church and not started on the drinks yet incase you all thought I was bonkers!! ;))

My better half's opinion before I bought the 90... And I quote, "you are NEVER getting one of them... Nothing but a tin can!!"

Let her drive it and realise there is a difference between the 86 and the 09, and let it sit for a while... Maybe... Just maybe there will be a spark :D

I know complete contradiction! 2009 xs is obviously vastly superior! She doesn't have a manual license so she couldn't drive it anyway. But she loves being driven! It's so frustrating as she doesn't understand my reasons for wanting to change!

I have a 2010 90 XS as a daily driver and we have been all over France etc in it.

The difference which made it a great car is:

Dynamat sound insulation, quieter than an FL1 at 70 now !

Koni shocks

replaced HD rear springs with standard road LR spriings

Uprated Kenwood HU, speakers, and Alpine SW.

A few othe 'bits' like the glove box, rear door damper, Momo steering wheel, Mud Rails [long legs] etc.

Oh......personal choice......I converted mine to an Ashcroft Auto box.......massive difference.

I now have a personalised 90 XS that will go anywhere and my wife loves it, prefers to be a passenger but also drives it as well. Best combination ever :i-m_so_happy:

My better half's opinion before I bought the 90... And I quote, "you are NEVER getting one of them... Nothing but a tin can!!"

Let her drive it and realise there is a difference between the 86 and the 09, and let it sit for a while... Maybe... Just maybe there will be a spark :D

Oh yes, now this is familiar, add ugly and noisy, too big and too heavy to drive, its unsafe, and what will the neighbours think etc etc.

Can someone tell me why then, that it always seems to be used in preference, with the lamest of reasons, to her Toyota Yaris ? Even just for shopping.

And mine IS an 86.