This IS a serious Q - just may look like its not

Hybrid_From_Hell

OK

I have some bits now for the wiring for the weekend :unsure: , and yes I have a fire extinguher too :angry:

There are some of the Non Insulated terminals, I have NEVER ever worked out the proper way these are crimped...

Is there a "Crimper" that you can get that does these as a "One sqeeze of the crimper" type jobbie, or are they just a PITA to do ?

How is the best way to crimp these ?, is there a crimper that is better than all the others ?

:angry:

HATE wiring, shame they don't do terminal in 6mm plate, I'd be fine with them :P

Links or pics and an explanation would be V nice ta everso in advance ..........

Nige

post-22-1160635368_thumb.jpg

The one that TC has posted up is the "Cheap and cheerfull" one I have seen used in the past, and with the 4 tangs for the terminal it seems a bit "Hit and Miss" ?

I have one of the hex crimpers for the insulated ones (can't use these terminals on the relay block I'll be using - this has terminals that slot and "Click into it - hence the Q

I was just wondering if there is a "Better" crimper that does the 4 tangs super neatly and in one "Go" with the crimper, rather than the "Billy 5 Thumbs" version ?

Nige

Nige theres no easy way of doing these as you need to make absolutely certain you have the exact right connector otherwise they tend to break as you crimp them.

I've got the proper tools for these, and none of them are simple single squeeze jobbies. I dont know if they're available, but I've never seen any if they are!

Jon

mm

i have found over years of use that the "Billy 5 Thumbs" version is better! i have also found that if you put "blue 2.5" insulated terminals in the non insulated "6" terminal crimper section up sidedown it dose a much better job than the dumb insulated terminals section that just squshes them! as the former will punch a small hole in the insulation but bend the inner 2 tang 1/2's neatly wile the curved part of the non insulated former will suport the back of the turminal and keep it round!

Chuckle.......

Also bear in mind you may need to snip down the tangs on the connectors as if they're too long they often tend to snap off when you try and crimp them. You'll need some small cutters for this.

YES I KNOW YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING SMALLER THAN ELEPHANTS TOENAIL CLIPPERS!!!!!!!

If you wanna borrow some ickle sidecutters and the decent crimp tool then give me a shout, but I'm not around at the weekend so you'll need to come and get them one evening!

Jon

there is a special tool for these; the two flag bits are bent over to end up in a B shape, if you know what I mean.

I don't use them but have crimped something similar. I use the cheapie tool for the insulated spades - it has oval crimping zones for red/blue/yellow terminals. Once I have the flags squeezed into a round/oval, I move the connector in the tool so that the very tip is pressing on the connector - the end having a semi-circle shape - and use that to get the B or a figure of 8ish shape.

Have parctice first - test by giving a good tug - the it comes apart, you done it wrong.

I have one of these Draper 35574 similar to the PR4 shown on the VWP page and it is bluddy brilliant for insulated terminals, the only one I have had (currently got 4 I think, the others are all B5T versions) which does the insulated terminals properly. Haven't actually tried it yet on uninsulated terminals as I rarely use them and I've not had it very long. Does a perfect crimp, and holds the terminal securely in the crimper while you pop the wire in the end, so if you are doing one in an awkward place there is none of the swearing associated with B5T versions where you are trying to hold the wire with one hand, the crimper with the other and the terminal with the hand you haven't got...

Edited to say it doesn't appear to be suitable for uninsulated terminals though...

Edited by BogMonster

I've used the ratchet type ably illustrated via the link supplied by my learned colleague Mr Bogmonster for some years and they do the job they are designed for well. I do have a similar one for non insulated terminals too but as I prefer to use the insulated version for modern jobs it does not receive much use.

I have a collection of crimpers that seem to have built up over the years :huh:

Top of the toolbox are the PR4:

pr4.GIF

And something similar to the PR3:

pr3.GIF

The PR4 is great for insulated terminals, the PR3 works as described above on uninsulated ones in a double-crimp fashion, first bend the tangs up then reverse the tool and crimp them in on themselves. Giving a good tug is the real test, if that works then it's a good 'un.

I think I have a "proper" MP71 stylee one somewhere too but never use it (mainly 'cos I can't find it :ph34r: )

Ta for all your helps

I have ordered a PRV4 from VWP which is for non insulated ooooojamaflip terminals,

I also have JWs collection of dooooberyferkins too.............

the PRV4 thingumy is on the advise of VWP and a certain Mr P Wightman... who swears at his wiring by it for his wiring

With any luck I'll have a beautifully wired bonfire this saturday in the 90 :lol:

Kin elecrtrics

ta again

Nige