SOS.

qwakers

Ah, could be a can of worms!! I'd say check the basics first, is there pressure in the fuel rail? Are you getting a spark at the appropriate moment? You just changed the head gaskets so obviously have a good idea what you're doing but sometimes a fresh pair of eyes or ears can just pick something staring you in the face. Keep us posted how you go.

is there ANYTHING at all disconnected?

go over the whole engine. is it producing a decent spark to start with? again check the leads are not only in the correct order but also in properly connected both ends, check the coil/coils/coil packs for a supply voltage and check their earths

is it trying to fire?

while turning it over, pull one plug at a time and listen for a difference in sound. if the sound changes, the cylinder is firing, or at least trying to, if there is no sound change, then that is your problem cylinder(s)

dont grab a lead while turning over though it hurts a little with 30+000 volts going up your arm :)

sounds dumb but have you got the correct firing order, but mirrored, i.e. on the opposite banks?

have you took any plugs out to see if they are wet, i.e. fuel is getting to them all?

Are the injectors connected in the right order? I don't know what injection sequence or how many banks it uses, but this could give lumpy running as the mixture will be slightly different between the cylinders?

Just a thought!

Si

Success!

went down the workshop. turned key and away she went.

but its getting rather warm. just before the red. and coolant boiling in the header tank. so could y'all help me with the correct way to bleed the cooling system and the most common reason for overheating?

ta.

Might have had an airlock in the fuel lines ?

Cooling system should bleed itself, provided the coolant is kept topped up. Ignition timing can cause overheating, but more likely to be head gaskets or cylinder liners Im afraid

I hope for your sake I am wrong though

As said above, it should bleed itself, if not then take the cap off the expansion tank when it's cold and have someone run the engine at a fast idle as you top it up.

A stuck thermostat would be a likely candidate if it's running OK, stick it in a pot of water and bring it to the boil. It should be opening by 80C and fully open before boiling

well i think ive sorted it.

it would not bleed. someone has already taken the thermostat out, so i pulled the top hose off at the rad end and poured coolant down it until full. re attached, then res cap off, top up, run for 20mins @2k rpm, and then went for a drive. temp gauge 1/2 way up.

i is happy ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Blocked radiator, either internal or external. When it's hot switch off and run your hand over the rad' surface, it should be uniformly hot, any cold spots indicate a blockage.

Did you put a thermostat in it? It needs one to provide a restriction to enable correct coolant flow in the system.

externally the rad looks good, much newer than the truck infact. will check for cold spots tomorrow. no i didnt put a stat in and here comes the stupid question...

where IS the thermostat on these? i keep reading references to the top hose mounting to the manifold area, and there isnt one there. but then i see references to this pic

range_rover_p38_thermostat.jpg

and i have no idea where that would be or even if it exists....

Have you bought the Haynes anual for it?

If not then get one and then find a RAVE link or buy a CD, I bought one for the D1 and it has more info than I will ever need and has been a great help in tracking down stupidly simple problem parts and jobs.