Not really a fan of DLRs But:

While not really a fan of DLRs I have always driven with my lights on, Scandinavian style (or at least sidelights)

My 11 mile daily drive includes of single track roads, blind corners, hidden dips, and large agricultural assets (and sometimes agricultural asses) coming the other way.

I think that if you go out of your way to make yourself visible, then you are reducing the likelihood of being involved in a collision. (but I'm always happy to hear views to the contrary)

My last three 110 CSWs (300 Tdi. Td5 and Puma) have had their DimDip units fail so I'm considering fitting DLRs instead.

I'm having trouble imagining how or where you might mount them so as not to spoil the lovely lines of my Landy, so Id be very pleased to see pictures from anyone who has done this.

At the same time I’d pleased to hear the opinions of others regarding any aspects of DLRs including buying installing and wiring, or anything else relevant – some times you just don’t know what it is you don’t know!

Thank you

Not knowing the answer to this, what is the legal requirement around sidelights? Is there a requirement to have them for when parked on unlit roads or something along those lines? If so you'd need to think about how you accomplish the rewiring task.

How about swapping your front side light units for rear stop & tail and using the clear lens. Then wire the side light to the 6w filament and an ignition feed to the 21w filament through a relay that isolates it when the side lights are switched on. I think that's how Volvo basically did it.

How about swapping your front side light units for rear stop & tail and using the clear lens. Then wire the side light to the 6w filament and an ignition feed to the 21w filament through a relay that isolates it when the side lights are switched on. I think that's how Volvo basically did it.

I think this is a very interesting idea - and well worth following-up especially if you were to use LED bulbs (to reduce the heat - 21W bulbs seem to severly reduce the the lifespan of a light fitting if left on - for example if you used a rear stop & tail fitting as a rear fog light)

Standard lights used with 21w bulbs do have a habit of melting.

I've bought some nas size but flat face led side lights from Bolton bits for the ibex they have a side light wire and a drl wire. The drl setting is a lot brighter not sure whether I'll wire them up or not yet.

Mike

I must have replaced 5 sets of side light mounts on the 110 in the last 5 years - all because of 21w bulbs; they are just too hot unless you use military lamps; and of course they are illegal.

So I moved down to 10w bulbs...

The best mix is a nice bright LED in a Military lense

You could buy 8 or 10 1W eagle eye LED's and install them parallel to create a nicely built-in DLR like this image:

post-194-0-60946200-1395476912_thumb.jpg

Eventually I will make mine like this once I get the other projects out of the way.

Todd.