LED inspection light

mmgemini

I have one the same as this

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=10944&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=CJmQieTG9L0CFQ7MtAodIj8AQA

I paid about £25 for it, it's my second one (the first got burnt in a fire at work) and I'll buy another if this one breaks

It's got magnets and hooks and LEDs in the face and the end, and it's angle adjustable too. It does everything I need from an inspection lamp. It came with a mains and 12v charger. The lenses seem indestructible but you can buy replacement ones anyway

My only complaint is that the strength of the magnet in the base has been reduced - the first one I had you could throw at the ramp post from six feet away and it would stick every time, the magnet was so powerful I had to bond it back into the torch with two pack glue once. On my newer one the magnet is weaker, still useable but will only really stick well to a decent flat surface

I have the same a Lewis, been very good, used every day however I got my dad one and it only lasted a year of infrequent use. Another lad at work has basicly the same light but with one Cree? Led in it and it's much brighter, that's what I'll be getting when the current one packs in.

Will.

Doesn't anyone use an LED head torch?, I do-leaves your hands free and only shines where you look, Mine runs off of a single AA battery and lasts ages-been using them for years and very handy.

John

Doesn't anyone use an LED head torch?, I do-leaves your hands free and only shines where you look, Mine runs off of a single AA battery and lasts ages-been using them for years and very handy.

John

Actually I do. I've had one for years.

I was wanting something else though.

Well I've ordered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RIL2750-Hands-Inspection/dp/B002J9C8Z0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1398267317&sr=8-6&keywords=led+inspection+light

Right or wrong :hysterical: I've been trawling the net all day. This one was ten quid cheaper than the same at Halfords. It should be here next week.

Actuallly John I try to keep my head torch clean and free from oil and grease.

Am I the only one frustrated by the switching logic on the Sealey (and the snap-on) ?

One click panel 'on' then one click 'torch' then another click 'off'

I quite often leave it on torch by mistake and end up with a batt flatery

Anyway the sealey is very good and 'er brother picked one up for a fiver cost the box had been opened

Mike, I have a few of them so I keep one in the garage for working on the 90 and I try to keep it clean, the strap on all mine are detachable so If It does get oily/dirty then it'll go in the Dobhi and get washed, I use these ones: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/cyba-lite-duo-headtorch-p151528 and at the mo It's half the price too-Bonus

John

I bought a "Portable LED Floodlight" from MCG, (via CEF electricals), which is like the yellow things you see builders using for plastering etc, except it is rechargeable and has a USB charger output. It also has brightness control and tells you how far through a charge it is. It has proven very handy so far, which is good, because it wasn't cheap :)

My idea was to have it on the race truck, but it seems too nice to plaster in clay..............

Apart from the above mobile work light, I run a standard mains work lamp and a head torch. And for the odd occasions, I reach around for an led pocket torch. But the pen with an led in the end is surprisingly useful :lol:

John

Some time ago Margaret bought three head torches. Large white lamp. Then three small single LEDs in red green and white.She bought from ALPKIT.

.https://www.alpkit.com/products/gamma

Somebody on line somewhere recomended them. We still have one each. The other was given to a friend on a farm in Namibia who has no mains electricity. Mind you you should see his solar panel set-up.

Sounds good Mike, I've always got one with me at work and Its a great bit of kit, I tried rechargeable LED lamp thingys and couldn't get on with them as they were more to me a hindrance than a help so I reverted back to the head torch and cracked on with that

John

We use one of these a lot as well. Not sure what brand ours is, cost more than £35 though ! But we get a fair few hours out of it. Clips onto most bonnets (doesn't fit range rovers, but does fit defenders). More light than a hand held one.

Link to a 230v version similar :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Workshop-Under-Bonnet-120-LED-Inspection-Lamp-Cordless-230V-/131137869211

We do use hand torches and head torches as well.

G

I don't know if the Alpkit ones have changed (+3 yrs ago) but they didn't work on rechargeable 1.2v batteries. And both of mine have died.

Secondly, the Bluepoint/SnapOn 40 LED ones seem to be quite short lived. We've sent several back to SnapOn with faults a t work so don't waste good money on these either

Changing subject slightly.

I wonder what these would be like on a table in the dark for seeing when eating

https://www.alpkit.com/products/glowe

I bought one of those recently, partly as camp torch, partly as in-house lantern for the recent spate of power cuts.

Only used it in the house so far, but happy with it for the money.

(The new style Alpkit head torches are pretty good too, and don't seem too turn themselves on in the cubby box like both my old style ones do.)

(The new style Alpkit head torches are pretty good too, and don't seem too turn themselves on in the cubby box like both my old style ones do.)

We've not had that happen. What I have had with mine is the battery contacts loosening off so the light doesn't get power.

ESD (static electricity) is the problem. I had one hanging at one end of the coat rack in my hallway. I could reliably turn the big LED on in flashing mode every evening just by hanging up my fleece at the other end of the rack.

Before that I didn't quite understand why I often found the light flashing away in the cubby box, but the batteries hadn't gone flat - obviously it had only just turned on :closedeyes:

Sealey LED360 in green (so I don't lose it)

Got it from a well known auction site. something bay.

its expensive but works great even after the first time I ran over it with a low loader.

it didn't survive the second time.

I use it everyday for 4 to 5 hours constant. charge it up at night and its good to go again.

max about 8 hours from a single charge and it takes about 1 hour to charge.

I was given then bought a few of these 24 led round lights from sainsburys and found it to be really useful the magnet on the back fixes to the chassis a treat lasts for ages and gives a good pretty good light and the price was good to :)

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=44&productId=56066&storeId=10151&krypto=XIuYv%2FJNKCLBsm54DcSAXxttW8U5UtBHBXe4Smhpa5l3fmOptiRMx7NMNT1l6S8MyCa3HXJvPIvA%0ATYvoZEoSvfqrUpAodkZlZ9aj%2F1kqHuSc8dCV7GsEA9oRlXm%2FbhDH