parts quality....

Disco-Ron

Is anyone else getting beyond fed up with the poor quality of parts these days, I just bought and fitted a set of 'non blue box' v8 exhaust gaskets, fitted them, and every port is blowing, as the port holes aren't in the right place in relation to the bolt holes..... those that have done this job will appreciate just how fiddly it is....

I'm not amused!;

Is anyone else getting beyond fed up with the poor quality of parts these days, I just bought and fitted a set of 'non blue box' v8 exhaust gaskets, fitted them, and every port is blowing, as the port holes aren't in the right place in relation to the bolt holes..... those that have done this job will appreciate just how fiddly it is....

I'm not amused!;

You have my sympathy mate, been there, done that, ended up fitting blue box ones to my V8 and they worked!

But overall, I agree there are probably more lousy parts out there than good ones.

I have to be honest and say I have never found any that do not fit including the cheapies on ebay. As said above check they are the right way as they can easily be fitted the wrong way and then you have no chance getting them to seal. If you have standard heads fit the laminated stainless gaskets (each gasket does 2 ports) that were fitted to P38 RR. You can get them cheap on ebay (£8.70 for 4) rather than pay stealer prices. You can possibly get them cheaper else where if you have the time to look. If you have ported heads the composite big bore versions on ebay fit my V8 developments stage 3 heads perfectly.

Toby

I'm not talking about the cheapies on ebay, I'm talking about the composite better quality ones, and I wouldn't waste my money on genuine ones, they really aren't much better than nasty aftermarket stuff.

The better ones have metal inserts on the inside of the hole in the gasket, this is what stops it from leaking and burning through.

Been there.....

Another trick I learned with the metal gaskets was to split the old gasket (they are two pieces glued together and add one piece to the new gasket, giving a 3 leaf gasket, that works too

Im going to chime in with something a little controversial. It kind of picks up where Bowie left off with him saying some genuine parts arent any better than cheapo aftermarket - Some months ago i bought a genuine LR V8 composite valley gasket from my nearest dealer. Upon fitting i noticed half of the ports were covered by about 2mm of gasket! Baring in mind this was after i had chucked a cheapo aftermarket one in the bin already! I ended up taking gasket back off and carefully dremelling it to fit.

Now heres the controversial bit. When i was at said dealer, what did i see? Only a bloody great Britpart lorry parked at the tradesmans entrance!!!

Unfortunately is always the way it seems these days, I just dont expect britpart items to fit anymore they're that bad! I've had a lot of bad parts from GSF for my other cars as well so its not just about Land Rover, best bet is buy genuine really I think. Do the job once and do it right.

• Like 1

Thank god it's not only me......lol

I was in a local spares shop recently when a young guy walked in with a head and gasket from a VW Golf. He was rather upset with the counter guy for giving him the wrong gasket. Putting the gasket on the head, he pointed out the mismatched holes

The counter guy, without saying a word, picked up the gasket, turned it left to right, and it fitted perfectly !

Cutomer sneaked out without saying a word :blush: