Bonnet Number plates - where from ?

2001 and onwards = must be reflective.

Being 1985 .... I Iz ok....and have even passed a VOSA Pull in and I asked on thwe way out :rofl: view was "OK"

DVLA Website :

Rules for number plates

Number plates (also known as licence plates) should show your vehicle registration number correctly.

You can’t rearrange letters or numbers, or alter them so that they’re hard to read.

The current vehicle registration number format was introduced in 2001. It consists of:

• 2 letters (these refer to the office where the number was issued)
  • 2 numbers (these tell you when it was issued)
  • 3 letters chosen at random

You can get theft-resistant number plates - these make it harder for someone to remove them from your vehicle quickly and reuse them. Ask your local car dealer or registered number plate supplier for more information.

You can also get personalised number plates.

Your number plates should:

• be made from a reflective material
  • display black characters on a white background (front plate)
  • display black characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
  • not have a background pattern

Characters on a number plate can be 3D.

The characters on a number plate need to be a certain height and size.

Read leaflet INF104: vehicle registration numbers and number plates - height and size measurement, for more information.

........have one for 30 years never been an issue, but more likley to be on newer 4x4s....

Can't help with a source but a lot of classics like e-types only have stuck on plates on the bonnet so I'm sure there must be historic rights. More interestingly (and quite possibly incorrect) a friend of mine drives a Westfield 7 thing and has nowhere to put a front plate so he runs without one. I'm sure he said it is not an offence you can be prosecuted for.

Depends a lot on interpretation , as to no where to fit ! But There are clear requirements as to readabilty , distance and angles etc . that makes only certain fitment possible to comply . Aesthetics is not a corollary . in the end you pays your money etc . as Dirty Harry said are you feeling lucky :unsure:

I got mine from a local signmaking shop, did them in about five minutes while I waited, i was also able to get them slightly shorter than normal so they fit between the raised parts of the bonnet. However I had to ask for 'a sticker that looks like a numberplate' as he said he wasn't allowed to make numberplates. :lol:

Registration and Licensing regulations 1971

Section 21 The owner of an agricultural machine shall ensure that the registration mark of the vehicle is displayed either on both sides of the vehicle so that it is clearly legible from both sides of the vehicle, or on the back of the vehicle so it is clearly legible from behind the vehicle, and in either case he shall ensure that the registration mark is so fixed to the vehicle that the letters and figures thereon are in the vertical

See http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2001/uksi_20010561_en.pdf

What's wrong with fitting a number-plate in the usual, traditional, non-attention-attracting position?

[From a purely pragmatic perspective I always seek to give 'The Law' the fewest blatant-and-obvious reasons to pull me - on the basis that this lets me get away with far more-heinous crimes which don't advertise themselves]

Ah, nice one, that sorts my confusion then

I think the specific:

(3) This paragraph requires each plate to be fixed—

(a) in a vertical position or, where that is not possible, in a position as close to the vertical

as is reasonably practicable, and

(b) in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are

easily distinguishable, in the case of a plate fixed on the front of the vehicle, from in

front of the vehicle and, in the case of a plate fixed on the rear of the vehicle or trailer,

from behind the vehicle or trailer."

is relevant. I recall in the mid-1980s a number of cars competing in an international rally being 'pulled' by UK police for questionable number-plates. They weren't nicked but as a result of the delay from being talked-to by the police they missed the check-in time at the next rally-control which was rather disruptive to their positions.

"