Gearbox and sockets probs

JST

so how would you get an allen key socket (1/4 size) out of the bottom of an R380? it dropped in whilst the gear selector was being tightened.

hes drained the oil and tried magnet on a stick/string, any other ideas?

can you easily split a G box whithout having to reset everything on reassembly? (havening never even looked inside a g box i have no idea)

G box is currently fitted to vehicle and it all runs sweetly! until that time the key gets in the way!!!!

penny for your ideas......

Hedley - if i say yes do i get a quicker or slower solution??? come one i told you what was wriong with yours and it was right so fair is fair....

No its not mine, but one of the vehicles i helped fit a tdi and R380 to, hence the question. bet you still dont have and answer do you.

And no i wasnt the one who dropped the socktet.!!!!

And no i wasnt the one who dropped the socktet.!!!!

would i suggest such a thing? :unsure:

I dont have an answer, but i do have an alternate solution; i think i still got a gd R380 kicking about in the back of my shed in the uk for when the socket does rear it ugly head.

Remove the drain/filter and try sweeping it out with some bent wire?

One of Si's super magnets or those long flexi grabbers (if you can see it)?

Edit: socket may even be already stuck to magnet on drain.

Drain the oil, leave the drain plug out. Lift the lever assembly use a compressed air workshop cleaning gun (preferably with long spout) and try to blow the little bu**er out through the open drain? Use a cloth around top to help keep the air pressure in the gearbox?

Oooops!

Can imagine the language !

Can you see it ?

If so one of those flexible shafts with claws that expand by depressing the top plunger, or, odd as it might sound a small magnetic on fishing wire, that you poke prod and manovere into posiition then pull out ?

Either way good luck and post how (if you do) you get the little B*gger in the end :D

Nige

James, I bet the language was something terrible when that happened :P

I think the most important thing is to first find out exactly where it is before attempting a 'rescue opperation'. Personally I'd go for one of the flexy claw things as Nige suggested to pull it out of the top of the box or a length of welding wire to push it to the drain hole. I think a magnet may cause more problems as the magnet will stick to the gears on the way down.

Final option, invert vehicle and shake vigourously :ph34r:

One of Si's super strong magnets will attract it and move it about through the casing - assuming the case is ali - allowing you to drag it from anywhere to the drain hole. I am down your way (well, Somerton) tommorrow afternoon if you want one, give me a call.

Chris

Cheers for the ideas,

Chris thanks for the magnet offer, although i have one already but the problem is the Gearbox is in the vehicle in Gloucester. i think he has tried the option of using the magnet outside the box to help it along although not with one of Si's magnets - you dont think the whole vehicle will move do you..........

flexy claw idea i will pass on as well.

Not sure if he can see it or not, i think not.

Will see what comes back, claw and magnet on outer seem best bets though rather than Wills last idea!!!!

Can imagine the language !

Can you see it ?

Yes. I remember a few years ago when somebody (not me) who was refitting a grub screw into an R380 (a lot of them used to come loose on early R380s, not enough loctite or something) and dropped the grub screw into the gearbox. There was quite a lot of language then as well :)

One of Si's super strong magnets will attract it and move it about through the casing - assuming the case is ali - allowing you to drag it from anywhere to the drain hole. I am down your way (well, Somerton) tommorrow afternoon if you want one, give me a call.

Chris

You may get really depressed if you get a lump of steel out which is not the socket - Imagine finding a pile of ickle teeth or maybe a cog popping through the drain and sticking to your magnet... :( I'm always horrified at the afro stuck to the magnet on the drain whenever I change the oil..

Chris thanks for the magnet offer, although i have one already but the problem is the Gearbox is in the vehicle in Gloucester.

I was there yesterday, shame. :(

Saw this in the carpark by the docks though:

54694.jpg

It was registered 06 (the name Jaguar on the bottom of the plate) and had marks on the passenger window where it had been held closed with some gaffer tape - a proper Landrover then! :)

Chris

I watched a mate drop a 10mm spaner into his gear box while doing some running repairs in a Mc Donalds car park he then stripped the box in the car park and removed the offending item but still needed towing home as the original fault couldn't be fixed.

burn out in reverse up against the front of a 90.(welded the box into reverse)

made the chap in the cossy that was doing before him it feel small.

we parked up the V8 S1 before the tyre smoke cleared so people didn't know it was stuck up one gear. :blush:

Final option, invert vehicle and shake vigourously

i'd pay to see that! i expect a lot of people would. charge for tickets to cover the cost of the operation?

id go for the magnet idea, maybe jack the front of the car up loads too - from memory the inside of the gearbox is smooth, it should move to where it can be seen/caught.

we are going to keep the turn upside down option as a last resort, got a tracotr with a set of forks now though so that should help. need to get the drivers harness sorted prior to that as well, wouldn't want him to hit his head....

how about a piece of bike chain.

you could feed it into the box, form a loop inside the box, and lay the loop on the bottom of the inside of the box.

slowly pull the chain out and it should drag all the carp out of the bottom of the box.

chains are good becuase they are only flexible in one plane.