Trip to the Pyrenees

GBMUD

if we are going to be static then camping doesnt make sense, and i vote for the hotel and will suffice the commuting to lanes etc.

If we go with one of these road books and its a different abode each night then i feel camping woudl be the way fwd, and i may have less insulation than some and am happy to camp but agree with chris' comments that standing around and admin would not be the most pleasent.

i think a house may be slightly cheaper intially but i cant see Mrs Bish or Mrs TC wanting to go on a holiday staying in a house full of blokes and TC. plus it will prob only be cheaper initially as no doubt it will turn into a mess and things may get broken.....

so if static i vote Hotel over house option (we dont have to clean/cook)

if going with a long road book such as Tim prev raised then camp on the trail, it cant be any colder than Norway......

just my two pennies worth

I'd love to join you beforehand, but my constraint is to be in Glasgow on the Wednesday evening, so Friday night that far south is a big ask. As I say, I'll come if I can but it'll be late notice (although I'm glad this isn't too much of a problem from an organisational POV)

Chris - George can help you with the housekeeping, cleaning etc by all means. I suggest you ask her from the comfort of your car seat with the engine already running, that's all.

staying in a house full of blokes and TC

:angry: Where's my 'townsfolk with pitchforks' smiley? :P

Chris,

How much is it worth for me not to send this link to the missus...... :lol: .

On the hotel vs house front I think the house would be preferable but being realistic we'd better go for a hotel!! :lol::unsure:

Super budget cheap though - is there a travel lodge chain down there...?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Bad weather also kills off the social side of camping which in a hotel can continue un affected in the bar!!! :rolleyes:

I'm for the hotel.

Seconded !!! :o:D

In an ideal world, for me, would be a hotel/B&B, every 3rd ish night, With "stop & drop" camping in between ! :blink:

Discussing with Mo earlier and looking at the map, if we were to do some of the roadbook that Tim has, we might do well to make our way to the beginning of the roadbook and then head towards Andorra, taking in as much roadbook as we want to over the long weekend and ending in Andorra. If I do manage to get my hands on some of these guide books I have been seeking, I would quite like to have an explore around Andorra and the surrounding area. I also want to go and see the Milau bridge on the way home, possibly travelling via Carcassonne on the way.

Anyone got any thoughts? I wonder if a series of hotels local to the day breaks in Tim's roadbooks might be best rather than commuting - then perhaps 2 nights in Andorra at the end? Are we planning to book overnight stays on the way down/up or just stop where we find ourselves - Formula1 or similar?

Cheers

Chris

looking at routes, was planning on doing Milau bridge on the way down, and stay there the first night ,,, just !! doable ??

Then over to the start of the roadbook, and camp or B&B along the route if found, towards Andorra direction

Crumbs Tim, that's doing things the hard way ! :o

I had thought about going down to St Jean Pied de Port, stopping overnight in perhaps in Saintes which is quite doable (I did it 2 up on a Vespa 200 15 years ago !). Several days then of the roadbook, staying in hotels along the way whilst working our way toward Andorra, where we stay for a couple of days whilst Chris bankrupts himself on duty free ;) Then home via Carcasonne perhaps (a must see in my book) and the Millau bridge. It's a shame we don't have a couple more days to spend at the Gorge Du Tarn before going home :( A more or less circular route which I thought would make the best use of our time.

Your thoughts Chaps ?

Mo