custom propshafts

miketomcat

I'm trying to get some custom props for the ibex I've contacted gkn and Bailey Morris no reply from either. At the same time I contacted dunning fairbank, better they got back to me with a price and options. I've emailed the 3 times trying to place an order to no avail. Yes I know it's Xmas now but I started all this silliness in November.

So how the hell do i persuade a company to take my money and make a pair of custom props. Failing that can someone make them for me (i have/can get some to cut up) or recommend a company that will bother to make them. I'm only after standard props but longer.

Mike

I can't comment on the following company personally, but I've seen them get good feedback on other non-LR car forums, for the work they've done:-

Proptech Ltd, Unit 81, Hartlebury Trading Estate, Hartlebury, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY10 4JB Tel: 01299 251247

I suspect when it comes to one-off work, "small enough to care", probably comes into play...

x2, they made me a few as well. Tell them you want the ujoints to be greasable otherwise you get non greasable ones. I did but got a non greasable one anyway :angry2: .

Before they changed their company name I had one made with a 180mm slip joint and the weld that held on the yoke to the splines section failed. It was welded very, very poorly. Had it professionally welded and it's still on the vehicle.

The other 2 I had made (and another 2 a mate of mine bought) are still going strong, including CV jointed ones.

For my S1 I just used a larger prop, ground out the weld on the tube seperated it from the yolk cut the tube down and rewelded. To date it's been fine offroad and on the motorway with no vibration issues.

I have done this multiple times as well. Never had a single issue. If you have a lathe to turn down the weld and to realign everything when you first tack it together its just as good as any professional would've done it. If you keep everything aligned there's no reason for getting it balanced afterwards

I could cut some down but I need a 130/127 rear prop for the rear as my prop needs to be 1.2m these aren't exactly common. For the front I need 750mm so that's a disco rear or longer which will need to be phased to suit front use. plus whilst I can weld I'm not happy to set up and weld a prop.

Mike

Dunning and Fairbank are shut till new year IIRC, they have some uj cups on order for my mog, they also do all the props for Econ gritters who are just round the corner from my work and are understandably often a little busier this time of year.

I have no connection with them just heard that it's worth the wait?

Will.