Choice of 3?

Nigelw

Looking for some alternative boots for the Rusty one, love the STTs but want something a little more A/T for the daily hum drum of life that can perform when I need so that I can save the STT for planned play days.

Choices are.

1.) Cooper ST MAXX

2.) YOKOHAMA Geolander A/T-S G012

3.) Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac

All are less aggressive than the STT and A/T and all are available in 245/75R16 which is the chosen size, who has experience of what and what should I stay well away from?

I put a set of cooper at3 on the pickup this morning which I guess are less a aggressive than your looking for?

Not much noisier than the Bridgestone school terrains that were on, a little more skittish, time will tell about the economy but they seem a decent tyre make and they're cheaper than the bridge stones.

The speed of supply was good which I think is important for a tyre your using on an every day car incase you get a puncture. Ordered Christmas eve and were at the tyre place waiting on new years eve, so however many working days that is.

I had Cooper AT2's on my old Land Cruiser. I couldn't really fault them - they were pretty quiet, worked well in all conditions, lasted well and were about £50 a corner cheaper than most of the competition...

• 4 weeks later...

Over 3 weeks of waiting and no replies to my 2 emails, no tyres yet :angry:

Currently looking for another tyre supplier and going to be filing a complaint with paypal about this little saga.

And to top it all off SWMBO was eyeing up KHUMO KL71 tyres as her new preferred tyre of choice :im-ok-smiley-emoticon: WTF they are more aggressive than the STT :(

Oh well, steel wheel collection coming up on Thursday. And she now wants to sell the STTs on the Deep Dish alloys and get some Terrafirma GRW016 alloys and run one set of wheels and tyres. Might have to let her have her way with this one as I want to spend twice the cost of the wheels and tyres on the diff upgrades by the end of the summer ;)

Conversation went along the lines of "bloody tyres still not here, gonna email PayPal and cancel them" watching Fast and Loud on the Discovery channel, end of the show and I get "we're gonna pick up the Disco steels fit them out with these (shows picture of KL71) then we can sell the Cooper STT on the ally rims an get these (shows picture of new alloys).

Just like that 1800 euro disappears, heard horror stories about the KL71 tyres but I will fit KM2 BFGs as I see no point in taking a set of tyres morw aggressive than the STT and I can get away with the old story of they only had 3 honey but they had the full 5 of these an get away with it, then steels go North for some alterations, thats a surprise for my build thread only that one ;)

I fitted a set of 235/85-16 Cooper ST MAXX to my Discovery 2 last week and on a 350 mile trip with ice, frozen rain and up to four inches of snow (all of the afore mentioned both on and off road) at the begining of this week they performed flawlessly.

They replaced a pair of Cooper ST? (mud terrains) on the back and a pair of BFG KM2's on the front. I've not had a chance to try them in serious mud yet but I am pleased with the way they behave on and off teamac so far.

I can not agree with miketomcat regarding the wear characteristics of the KM2's - under 20,000 miles on the pair on the front and they were next to bald right across the tread pattern. The Coopers on the rear still had 3-4mm of tread left on them when they were removed.

Peter.

I can not agree with miketomcat regarding the wear characteristics of the KM2's - under 20,000 miles on the pair on the front and they were next to bald right across the tread pattern. The Coopers on the rear still had 3-4mm of tread left on them when they were removed.

Peter.

Just from online reports that would seem to be the minority experience. I wonder why yours have behaved so differently ?

Just from online reports that would seem to be the minority experience. I wonder why yours have behaved so differently ?

I honestly can not say. I was in two minds about fitting a set of Cooper STT's or Goodrich KM2's but after having had a set of the earlier BFG Mud Terrain tyres I went with the KM2's - big mistake. On the first journey towing the caravan the combination was uncontrollable at anything over 35 mph.

I pulled over and pumped the rear tyres up to about 48 psi and this got us to our destination eventually. On the way home coming down the M52 the tube in the rear near side tyre blew out at about 50mph. I managed to pull over and put the spare Matador Mud Terrain tyre on to get us home. For the 100 or so miles to home the car and caravan were transformed - as solid as a rock on the road.

Within a week I had put a pair of STT's on the rear and sent the two KM2's back to BFG. They were not interested in listening to my problems with their tyres but were quite ready to scrap them for me ! - I did eventually get them returned. With the Coopers on the rear of the car we were back to being stable on the road once more.

Peter.

My apologies to Nigelw for the thread hyjack.

That's interesting I've had no problems towing both a 2 ton box trailer and a 3.5 ton beaver tail with various on both with a 90 and a 110 running 285/75x16 bfg km2's to the legal limits. I agree km2's don't seam to wear as well as the old pattern but I think they are better both on and off road.

You say you run tubes I wonder if this is part of the problem. BFG's are tubeless tyres so shouldn't be run with tubes due to the inside being ribbed this rubs on the tube wearing it through and causing them to burst.

Muke

Wow.. Amazed to hear such about the KM2....

I ran a set on my 110 for appprox. 15k miles before it was sold. This included a run down to and across the Pyrenees.

Because I was so impressed I bought another set when I bought my 90 and ran those for 40k miles. When I took them off and they passed Anderzander they still had 10mm of tread.

The truck was my daily driver covering a minimum of 300 miles a week most of the time.

They are much quieter than the old BFG muds too...

I'm on the same again on the 90 and still impressed. They behave well in dry or wet and of course, admirably off-road....

I would do it all again based on my own experiences.

I've always run them tubeless and around 30psi, tracking checked annually and not had a problem...

Just my experience of the tyres.

Neil

I found Cooper Discoverer A/T's to be a total waste of money, I put a set on my Disco and in our +40 degree desert temperatures they were down past the wear marks after just 7000 kilometres, the rubber compound being just too soft, (you can see pictures of them in my gallery)

I have since used two sets of Bridgestone Dueller A/T Light Truck Tyres and got well over 100,000 kilometres out of the first set, the second set currently fitted have dome a tad over 25,000 k's and still look like new.