A-Frame Ball Joints - Which on the market has the most travel?

I had the one from QT several years ago, it seemed well built, with good travel and adjustment. I never used it though, as I opted to modify the axle bracket instead to cope with a 4" lift and get the axle aligned. The guy I sold it to was pleased with the performance, but did comment afterwards it didn't last very long.

Surely you'd go for an X-ball? To go along with your X-Arms, I'm going to give the new Britpart one a go. :ph34r:

Hmm, I've got one "waiting" to be installed... I can't remember why but it got bashed with a hammer, and I was rather shocked at how much the steel deformed, very very soft, which had definitely given me second thoughts on installing it. I've got an old genuine housing I'm in the process of extracting the old ball out of and got a genuine ball joint to replace with...

Perhaps you could give the genuine one a smack with a hammer and report back. I'm assuming the Lemfroder joints are genuine is that correct?

Back when X-Eng first brought out the X-ball there was a discussion on here about joints, and I brought up the Fact that Rakeway were modifying the joints for high angle use in there front suspension on the Ridgeback, they used A-Frame ball joints top and bottom to connect the wishbones to the uprights.

Can you take the adjustable ones apart? If you can then you could maybe clearance one just in the plane you want the extra travel.

The Britpart one come with a 2 year warranty, can I assume that's only valid if it stays in the box.

I just fitted Gwyn's and it is a good unit with two rows of splines. But I can't help on the angle it will do, as I winch-challenge on standard length shocks.

I think I'm leaning towards Gwyn's one, his kit is normally really well thought out and I have his rear shock mounts with +5" OME that they are designed for.

In general the higher the suspension sits the lesser angle will the joint take, remember its shaped like a ball. Sure some of the aftermarket ones have been clearanced to help this, but in its nature it works best in the absolute center. I would say that a +5" lift will be way bad for the joints geometry, and finding a way to make it sit more plane would probably be the best way for travel regardless of the joint you choose. Do you really need a 5" lift? Usually biting the bullet and trimming a bit more in the body makes for a much better handling car (and more reliable because of bushing and prop angles) My Brother has 38"x15.5"-16"s on his ninety with only a 2" lift..

In a way it 'hinges' on how far up the rear wheel goes into the wheel well on cross axelling. If it makes the axel touch the bumpstop when the oposite side is at full shock travel, there is a lot of angle on that ball. But if it can't go full-flex due to spring rate then the risk is reduced. If that ball joint is the limiting factor, then that's a hell of a lot of leverage on the little feller :)

I have a paddocks "wide angle" ball joint fitted. It looks just like every other adjustable/wide angle ball joint on the market. Are they all the same?

The coils will be standard height if I can get enough tyre clearance. Worse case the lift will be 2".

What size tyres will you be using?