Air powered pump

Anderzander

I have been using one of these for quite a while to fill my Diffs and Transfer Box with oil :

31EBi-JfiRL._SY300_.jpg

It's good - but must be made for a fluid of much lower viscosity, so using it can be quite a work out.

So I was wondering if there was something that I could run off my compressor to do the job ?

First thoughts were a shutz Waxoyl type gun - with the end nozzle replaced by the pipe and hook from my hand pump.

Is there something else more suited ? Or any issues with the plan ?

i use an old 2 litre coke bottle with a bodged up cunningly crafted adapter for a short length of garden hose for filling my diffs.

the garden hose just about fits through the fillers, and i just hold the bottle and squeeze it. it makes it fairly easy to get a measured amount in too.

Maybe something like this would be ok - swap the rigid nozzle for a pipe ....

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=361014756179

I doubt that would work very well if at all with EP90. That is trying to suck the liquid up by blowing across the top of a tube in the same way as a spray gun.

I think I've seen those Mikey - are they quite expensive though ?

I think I paid around £20 for mine, but that was a while ago. It works well with thicker gear oils, and has a nifty 90 degree elbow on the spout - ideal for side entry to a transfer or main gear box. It also has an open/shut valve.

Just get a pump up garden spray. I've been using the same one for about 20 years!

Something like this - 7.50GBP delivered!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-5L-LITRE-PUMP-PRESSURE-KNAPSACK-SPRAYER-SPRAY-KILL-WEEDS-INSECT-GARDEN-/111498559494?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Bird_Bath_Feeder_CV&hash=item19f5d50006

Just cut the spray nozzle off the end of the tube.

Si

A visit to your local truck breakers would give you a air receiver of a size to suit your needs , stand it up vertically , use the plug in the end at the

bottom for a feed out , with a ball valve tap to turn on and off , the one in the top end as the filler and one on the side to pressurize . If

you can fudge a tyre valve fitting on to pressurize, the pressure can be set with the tyre inflator . About 30-40 psi will do it .

check out the ones on one of the tool supplies www's such as Clarke or Sealey for pics

cheers

Steveb

Just get a pump up garden spray. I've been using the same one for about 20 years!

Something like this - 7.50GBP delivered!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-5L-LITRE-PUMP-PRESSURE-KNAPSACK-SPRAYER-SPRAY-KILL-WEEDS-INSECT-GARDEN-/111498559494?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Bird_Bath_Feeder_CV&hash=item19f5d50006

Just cut the spray nozzle off the end of the tube.

Si

Hmm, I have one of those in the car and a whole shed full of them at work. Worth a shot!

Do you have to warm the oil at all?

What about getting a regulator and tapping your existing setup for a air fitting, then dial the pressure right down and plug the air on when you want to fill. You could buy loads of cheap spray pump containers then and have one for each oil.

Myself I have a silverline weedsprayer for ATF and a barrel pump for EP90.

Will.

I've an idea with random things I have lying about.

Don't laugh, it's my first post I normally just glean information.

Two tyre ( Schrader ) valves one plastic container size of your choice with a lid big enough to get your hand in.

Drill hole in lid just undersized for valve, pull fit into hole.

Drill another hole in the side of the container as close to the base as possible.

Remove core from valve and insert into lower hole.

Push on length of plastic pipe maybe bond it on.

Add fluid of your choice and use any commpressor ( gently ) or foot pump.

Fuel containers work well.

You can get valves from any tyre place for a couple of pounds.

I take no responsibility for the mess made if you over pressurise the container though.

I use a 5-litre plastic oil-container with the top cut off and a "water-tank connector" 1/2-inch-BSP fitting

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tank-coupler-15mm/82376

screwed to a hole bored in the bottom.

Attach a few feet of standard 1/2-inch garden hose to the fitting.

Stuff hose-end into the gearbox/transfer-box/diff filler-hole.

Hook the modified oil-container on a convenient door-mirror with a bit of wire.

Pour the prescribed amount of appropriate oil into the top of the container.

Go and have a coffee/beer while the oil flows into the transmission assembly.

When you come back, remove the hose and refit the filler plug.

Job done.

Go and have another coffee/beer.

Garden sprayer, drilled hole, tyre valve, air line tyre inflation tool, job done.

I did something similar when spraying my garden fence, the safety valve hole was the perfect for a PCL connector to screw in, Connected up airline and turned the reg down to under the rated pressure for the container so it had a constant air supply.

It sprayed the fence in no time with no hard graft of pumping it up every few minutes :-)