Breakdown cover

reb78

Who do you guys use for breakdown cover? I usually use RAC or AA for personal (any car) UK cover and buy European as I need it. I haven't taken the 110 abroad but possibly plan to this summer. The 110 is 26 now, the d2 and bmw don't usually have any age restrictions on European cover.

Is there a better company that will do a reliable all in deal that includes European cover for my older vehicle? I usually pay £70 a year for home, recovery and onward travel and then about £20 a time for a Europe trip (1-3 troops a year). Any thoughts/advice?

Can't comment on their European cover as I've not had to call them out when abroad, but I'm with Britannia and very pleased with them.

From what I've seen of others using AA/RAC etc. they are a right pain for LR owners, the script seems to go like this:

- You break down / fail to proceed

- You call them up

- They promise to be there within the hour

- Within the hour, some bloke turns up in a van (or on a bike) to "try to fix it", this means they have met their 1 hour target.

- Bloke will inevitably NOT fix it (either because they don't carry parts that old, or because you can't fix most common LR breakages by the roadside)

- Bloke will then explain he can't tow a big heavy 4x4 behind his van / motorbike and will have to call out the flatbed. It will then be revealed that they only have about 5 flatbeds in the whole country and you'll have to wait for it, possibly until the next day (no, really, ask Steve200TDi :blink: )

- By now there's been 1 hour wait, 1 or more hours farting about "diagnosing" / "trying to fix" and then at least another 1 hour wait for the flatbed, maybe 2 or more if it's a busy day.

Whereas Britannia goes like this:

- You break down / fail to proceed

- You call them up

- They promise to be there within the hour

- Within the hour, some bloke turns up with a flatbed, loads you up and drives you home.

I must've had Britannia out at least 5x in the last 5 years with a selection of vehicles & trailers & vehicles-on-trailers and barring a driver-hours-related detour last time to swap trucks, they've always been excellent no-quibble get-you-home with no mucking about.

I was with the AA until last year and i have no complaints about the UK service. Getting cover to take a 30 yr old 90 abroad was the problem, those that would insure always stated that repatriation of the vehicle would depend on its value!

For foreign cover i used the AA each year on the basis i was a member for a good few years and gained some discount...even so i paid way over the odds for three weeks single trip cover. I was assured that if i carried the ins valuation certificate it would ensure repatriation....nothing in writing though.

After discovering ADAC on this forum and reading of some real life experiences of their service, i joined last year. 120 euros for me and my wife, 12 months cover anywhere in europe. I don`t actually intend to use them in the UK and will purchase some UK cover elsewhere eventually.

For anyone taking an older truck abroad i don`t think there is a better option.

Right, so had a look at ADAC:

http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/default.aspx

and had a read on Google. So they would cover me and my other half (as oppose to the vehicle?) so that sorts out the fact that we need cover for three cars? Cover is Europe wide (UK recovery through AA)? Do they have restrictions on vehicle age? The link above is the only page on their site that is in English (that i can find). The 109 Euro they state on the link for 12 months personal cover for all of Europe is way better than RAC or AA would offer! Whats the catch?

Early90, why will you get seperate cover for the UK if ADAC cover you here and you have a policy with them?

How have folks joined them? The links on their website are for German residents so just give them a ring? (i presume their English will be excellent, unlike my German?!)

Is basic ADAC just in Germany and ADAC plus Europewide?

(sorry for the dim questions, but it seems a little 'foreign' :) joining a non UK breakdown organisation!)

No catch, no age restriction on truck. Give them a ring and ask for english speaker. AIR they have a dedicated english speaker who will guide you through the procedure. I am actually covered by the Auto Club Europa (ACE) which is the RAC equivalent in Germany (if ADAC is the AA equivalent). Bit cheaper, same service, but probably not got a dedicated english speaker. I took out my cover when I lived in Germany and when I left asked if they would still cover me living in the UK. No probs at all was the reply, they have many members living outside of Germany. Get my magazine through the door every month and touch wood never needed their services in 20 years :-)

You can use Chrome to translate if you want to compare to ADAC

https://www.ace-online.de/leistungen-vorteile/mitglied-werden.html

My RAC is personal too Ed, it's just it's very spendy to include Europe for the year and I'm spending more time taking small trips abroad with one of the cars. The ADAC cover looks like good value and those that have mentioned it on here seem to rate it.

Yes, ring them..they all seem to speak English.

Their breakdown cover only pays 300 euro towards assistance and 300 euro towards towing. In the UK i want the security of being anywhere and know i`m good to get home with the vehicle with no extra charges.

I have just checked my paperwork, i actually paid 109 euros. I was paying more than that for three weeks euro cover with the AA! ... on top of my annual fee.

I am sure there is a write up on here of someones experience of recovery from europe by ADAC. i will try and find it.

I have RAC so that competition damage was covered, now they are out of motorsport (IIRC) I am not sure. When my 90 hybred broke a transfer box I had five passengers, they accepted my view that it was terminal and sent a truck, only issue was a truck with a big enough cab for the occupants.

Marc

Yes, ring them..they all seem to speak English.

Their breakdown cover only pays 300 euro towards assistance and 300 euro towards towing. In the UK i want the security of being anywhere and know i`m good to get home with the vehicle with no extra charges.

I have just checked my paperwork, i actually paid 109 euros. I was paying more than that for three weeks euro cover with the AA! ... on top of my annual fee.

I am sure there is a write up on here of someones experience of recovery from europe by ADAC. i will try and find it.

Thanks for that. Jason didn't seem to have any extra charges for all of his issues, is the 300 euro limit a new thing?

No, i did find an explanation of it all when i did my research last year, i think it was on a UK motor home site.

Basically, the limit is enough to pay for a road side visit and local recovery and that is all you need, after that the insurance kicks in to recover you, or pamper you in Jasons case, i know it seems too good to be true.

The monthly mag is a laugh too! Not really.

I'm in the AA. Tested their service one Sunday night on the M74. My 19 year old disco blew a rad hose off (corroded hose clip), causing a big steam cloud. I had no tools, no water to top up.

Rang the AA - told them I thought that I had overheated the engine - I'd pulled over straight away, engine fine...... They agreed to send a truck straight away. Then I mentioned the twin axle ifor williams (loaded). AA - 'No problem sir, is it under 18' long', Me - 'definitely', AA - 'we will send to trucks'

They were there in 40 minutes. The trailer measured at/just over 18', but they recovered it any way and took me to the next service station. Then they looked at the engine - we collectively agreed that 'it must have overheated' so that I could have a tow all the way home and not have to find out if the engine was overheating/damaged with 3 tons on a trailer behind it.

Excellent service, couldn't fault them.

I am trying to choose between ADAC and ANWB at the moment, ANWB were at my assistance today when the exhaust dropped off the Pug206, as I am still deciding I had no cover and used the road side box to ring for assistance, they told me it would be €150 for the tow to a garage off the A2 near Utrecht, but the guy had a magic clamp to join the pipes to get me driving to Amsterdam where I found a garage to help.

Now, the thing is that I didn't have cash only my card and on the phone I had talked to the operator and explained that I would pay by card, poor guy just had to let us go on our way, he said "today you have good luck with the paying, but it will even out your day" guess he was a philosopher of sorts?

Looks like ADAC will get my money this year!!!

ADAC sounds good, but I was a little worried about the 300 euro limit

I found this I this thread: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/adac-recovery.49166/page-2

Hi ALL sorry about the late reply.Barbara phoned me this morning as promised (just as I was going out of the door for Whitby oh:-only just got back in :Wink She asked if I could assure the people on the forum that there is nothing to pay anywhere in Europe other than in France (I will not write what she called the French) If it happens in France get a reciept (make a copy for yourself) and send original to ADAC head office in Munich for a full refund.

The 200 euro limit is to get you recovered to a nearby garage to repair your vehicle :thumb:they have deals in place with there partners (except France)that allow upto 180 km for the 200euro for this purpose.If the van cannot be repaired that day or is going to take upto 3 days they will pay for you (all) in a hotel for 3 days/nights or give you a hire car for 7 days which ever you want.Once the repair is done (within 3 days) they will then return the van to you be that at your home or hol destination.Once it is established the repair cannot be done within 3 days (be that straight away IE blown engine etc,)then the recovery home kicks in :thumb: for which there is no charge what so ever :thumb:Obviously if you elect to have a repair done you have to pay for it.In all cases you have the choice,repair/hotel/car hire or recovery :thumb:

Barbara hopes this clears up any confusion that has occurred,but if anyone has any questions please ring her.

terry

Now, the question remains, if I breakdown at night or have an FIP leak (like 2 years ago) that isn't repairable by the roadside nor is ot likely to be repairable by Joe Bloggs Mechanics up the road, will they flatbed me straight home at no extra charge?

Hi Richard, I think the above answers your question. The limit applies to the assistance and the recovery to a local garage, That is 300 for assistance and 300 for towing, I don`t think you could exceed that by much unless you were 8000ft up a mountain track and 15km from tarmac and a long way from any town.

If your vehicle is not repairable within 3 days then the insurance kicks in to get you home.

They will fly you home and you will then wait for your truck to be delivered .

You also get an ADAC sticker for your screen, since fitting to my 90,it has shown a gain of around 5bhp and now returns about 40mpg. Seriously, it`s time for you to ring them.

Regards

John

Hi Richard, I think the above answers your question. The limit applies to the assistance and the recovery to a local garage, That is 300 for assistance and 300 for towing, I don`t think you could exceed that by much unless you were 8000ft up a mountain track and 15km from tarmac and a long way from any town.

If your vehicle is not repairable within 3 days then the insurance kicks in to get you home.

You also get an ADAC sticker for your screen, since fitting to my 90,it has shown a gain of around 5bhp and now returns about 40mpg. Seriously, it`s time for you to ring them.

Regards

John

Regards

John

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Thanks for all the advice. Just taken out the ADAC partner plus membership for 109 euro. Very easy, rang them put through to an English speaker (the first lady seemed to speak good enough English) and all done in about 4 minutes.

Only thing i guess is that i don't have the luxury of recovery (in the sense of 'send a flatbed and take me home, and by the way i'm 300 miles from home') like i would with the RAC/AA, BUT, its only cost me £84 for a years cover across the whole of Europe.