seats from another car, what have you got fitted? heated?

I've had a couple of stabs at this. My findings...

1. Don't get BMW seats. The mechanism is far too complicated to butcher to get the seat low enough.

2. Pick something that looks like it has a slim base, and accept that you'll need to modify it to make it lower still.

3. Airbags are easily removed.

4. Heater element wiring is pretty basic.

I'm mid-butchery on a pair of Alfa 147 heated seats. Bit more work than I wanted, but a plan is coming together.

interesting, I'll have to go down to the local scrap yards and have a look at what looks like it will fit.

A friend of mine has some leather seats fitted, they look almost standard but he has absolutely no idea what cat they're out of!

cheers chaps!

I had seats from a Rover 75 in mine. Seem to remember the runners pretty much matched straight up with the existing holes. My caveat would be to consider how often you need to access your battery.... you really do miss removable squabs after a while.

With the rover seats I had to push the passenger seat all the way forward on the runners, and then wind the seatback well forwards and access the battery from kneeling in the tub.

I've got disco 1 seats in 45 again a little higher than standard but I'm 6'3" and the wife is 5'8" and we have no problem.

Mike

I presume these were more or less bolt in?

Would you recommend a smaller steering wheel to stop legs banging off them getting in and out? Im 6'2" ex rugby player so my thighs are..err..large :)

I presume these were more or less bolt in?

Would you recommend a smaller steering wheel to stop legs banging off them getting in and out? Im 6'2" ex rugby player so my thighs are..err..large :)

iirc the bolt pattern is nowhere near I made a frame that bolted to the seat and picked up on the standard bolts on the seat box. But this did allow the runners to go over the flange at the back of the seat box.

Mike

Hmmm thats got me thinking Mike. Like you i need all the legroom i can get in my HT so if i could make frames that go over that flange i wouldnt even need sliders. Would have the added bonus of meaning that those shorter of leg cant drive it! :-)

iirc the bolt pattern is nowhere near I made a frame that bolted to the seat and picked up on the standard bolts on the seat box. But this did allow the runners to go over the flange at the back of the seat box.

Mike

Any pics Mike?

Ive had mg tf seats in mine made all I had to do was remove a small bracket very comfy and the centre seat could remain, fitted volvo coupe leathers in my father in laws they were mint but wide and no room for centre seat also put evo 6 recaros in my other pals but there was alot of work involved and the bolsters are really high, I have just removed a set of bespoke heated leather from mine for some CSK seats they fit perfect and look amazing

I've got a ford rs turbo recaro mounted on the drivers side in mine sat on the original defender seat rails, its very comfortable and great holding but the big bolsters do mean getting in and out has been compromised but I can live with that :D

i had rover metro cloth seats in mine for a while, they were thick in the base and gave a good driving position (for a relatively short person) the lumbar support wasnt the best, but apart from that once you had shoehorned yourself in it was quite comfy!

i quickly outgrew those however and reverted back to defender seats.

if i had a 110 county (with no rear bulkhead) i would fit p38 rangie seats, a mate had them in his, and they were lush. really high, but so comfy, and had armrests!

Fitted Vauxhall Astra / Vectra leather ones in mine. Fitted them onto a flat steel bar to allow clearance of the tub rail at the back so the runners slide back enough, also had to add 2 extra rivnuts into the tub to hold the inner rail as they're a bit wider than the standard seats. Height adjustable on the driver one though. A fairly easy fit apart from that.

The fact is there's lots of seats that can be made to fit. The big problem is that there are very few that have the low seat base of the standard defender, or defender specific seats.

While this may not be a big problem for short - average height drivers, for guys that are 6' plus like myself it becomes a problem.

I really like the Defender XS Premium seats but don't have the funds to stretch to that. Right now I'm looking at seats from smart car, RX8 or Discovery1.

I'm erring towards RX8 cloth seats right now. I'd like to keep them LR but it looks as though the Discovery bases look to be twice as thick as the Defender ones..

Those smart car ones looked a good fit - but for me it's the 'factory look' and the removable base.

I keep my bottle jack in with the battery - and the plan is to move the ECU and use under the drivers seat for storage ....... So that just leaves the expensive puma take outs.