Materials question

Anderzander

I'm fitting a forward facing seat into the rear of my 90 - which is soundproofed with closed cell foam.

For the brackets that mount onto the wheel box I was going to cut the foam and let an alloy spacer/spreader plate of (near) the same thickness for the seat to bolt through - and avoid having to compress the foam so much.

The floor has a locking plate to fit to it - and I was thinking of the same alloy plate .... But I wondered about a composite material ? Such as whatever they make chopping boards out of. It's light - waterproof - and would be easily drilled and cut - they also seem very robust ?.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

I've used nylon choping boards for spacers before now, bought a few cheap ones in black from the pound shop and used them for spacer rings for door speakers, easy to cut and drill, and best of all, bought in the right colour(black be ing mine but the mottled grey was a close second ;) ) they don't need painting unlike steel, alloy or wood products.

• Like 1

You need nylon as far as I know... it sets to a rock solid mass and doesn't compress.

I will be at Newbury at the end of the month and am sure there is a chap who sells solid discs for spacers - if this helps, I can get you some and stick them in the post????

Alternatively, solid nylon rolling pin and chop it into segments to suit.

The other thought that a lot of the Frontera boys use for body lifts (and therefore, again, needs to be resistant against compression) is ice hockey pucks. As hard as a hard thing, cheap as you like and you can drill them as required. They will never rot, never compress...

Any good?

Next question please ? What to cut the plastic with ?

I first thought of the grinder with a thin disc - but I'm concerned about Heat build up and melting LR expanding the plastic.

I also thought about a wood saw - but aI imagine that may take a very long time ...

with 3mm I just used a pair of tin snips.... worked well gets a bit tough on the hands after a few meters tho lol. If its thicker I'd use a jigsaw with a plastic/wood style bit

The grinder cuts it easily enough... on the thicker stuff you do get some melt on the edge of the cut but unless your precision fitting it I wouldn't worry catch for me is when you go to use the grinder for metal again it smells of burning plastic lol