More concave mirrors for towing (reversing)

The standard Defender mirros aren't great for reversing a trailer. I'm looking to find a replacement. Either new heads or just a more concave mirror. There are lots of concave mirrors on ebay etc but are any one of them any better than the standard ones?

Larger heads on the existing arms are as good a place as any to start, I fitted a set to my 101FC back in the early 1990's and have used the same type ever since (currently on my 90).

Some people say they are more prone to tilting at speed but I have never experienced this but even if they did, a small drop of something on the ball to increase the friction would eliminate the problem.

• Like 1

I've got the big set of mirrors on my 109 and they're a bloody pain for blowing back. I've done the screws up as tight as I can/dare, they're really not easy to move by hand, but they still blow back, and the most she ever does at the moment is 50 (Waiting for new tyres to be fitted.....old ones a bit dodgy...)

I've never had trouble reversing trailers with the standard mirrors, I have more problems with trailers with short drawbars suddenly going awry

Aaah, yea, of course!

I checked the mud stuff mirrors. They have one type with a second wide angle mirror at the bottom but at £75 for the pair.... ouch...

£75?? Well if you are feeling flush you could always go with these German electrically controlled mirrors distributed by Exmoor Trim.

http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/store/hofele/land-rover-110/electric-mirror-set-detail.html

I think I'll give them a miss!!!! :wacko::rofl: :rofl:

I'd agree with ejparrot - I found the large head mirrors very difficult to keep positioned, so much so that I took mine off and sold them on e-bay. They also don't increase the rearwards visibility by a huge amount over the conventional sized mirrors IMHO. Standard sized mirrors but with a more convex insert is the way to go.

I had the same trouble with the big mirrors.

What we need to find is a stick on, full width blind spot mirror to fit the bottom of the standard mirror. My efforts reveal this is something of a holy grail alas :(

Mo

RRC8443 any good? fits either side, off the wolf to see round the side mounted spare. Means you retain the ability to fold mirrors in and use same type of head or spafax.

These occasionally pop up, you don't have to use the heated part, although 12v may offer some demisting rather than ice clearing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LandRover-Military-Defender-90-110-Wolf-Winterised-Spafax-24v-Heated-Mirrors-NEW-/181728596280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4fde5138

• 4 years later...
On 5/10/2015 at 4:39 PM, dantastic said:

The standard Defender mirros aren't great for reversing a trailer. I'm looking to find a replacement. Either new heads or just a more concave mirror. There are lots of concave mirrors on ebay etc but are any one of them any better than the standard ones?

People often don't realise that the Defender's mirrors can be adjusted into a near-horizontal position, as well as the normal vertical position. Just loosen off the hex nut under the mirror and tilt outwards. 

With the standard, unmodified, ball joint the mirrors will tilt to just over 45°, but using a file to cut a groove into the female part of the joint, you can tilt to near 90° horizontal. 

Also, the mounting arm has two positions, fully out and about 45°, which people tend to forget (I know I do) because we don't move them that often.

CAUTION - whichever way you choose to extend your rear view, please do be aware that there are laws about how far beyond the width of a vehicle its mirrors are allowed to extend. It's something I only found out about quite recently. It meant I couldn't legally fit the kind of (modified) caravan mirrors I was thinking of buying. --- Sorry, I can't remember the precise legal details. 

Rick