How to fit a rear winch

Troddenmasses

I'm thinking of getting a better winch for the front of my 90, and am thinking that I could put the X9 onto the back. The only question is how? Does anybody do off the shelf mounts for these things that I can weld / bolt in between the chassis rails to carry the winch safely? I'm quite capable of weldeing something in safely, but not really up to fabrication. I would really like to leave the NATO hitch where it is, so something exiting to the side or below would be perfect. I have seen the e-blag link that somebody put on a couple of days ago

Eblag

But don't like the fact that it's ali, or the price. Would be much happier with something steel and cheaper. Is there anything out there that you have come across, or would I have to start thinking about fabrication?

If I took a piece of C section steel which was the correct length to fit in between the chassis rails, and wide enough to fit the X9 mounting holes, then welded it between the rails, would this do? I could then use thinner plate to make a box around the back of the winch to stop clag getting in there too much. The only thing I would need to know is the thickness of C section steel required, and whether any gusset plates on the end would be needed.

My Brother and I use a rear winch tray from Frogs Island about £75 if I remember. It just bolts straight on with 8 bolts....cut a slot in the rear crossmember and line it with 6mm plate welded in 50mmx200mm top and bottom and 50mm x 60mm sides. we didnt even cut a hole in the floor when using my brothers superwinch x9 as it sits nicely below it and if you really need freeespool you can reach it from the drivers side rear wheelarch

If I took a piece of C section steel which was the correct length to fit in between the chassis rails, and wide enough to fit the X9 mounting holes, then welded it between the rails, would this do? I could then use thinner plate to make a box around the back of the winch to stop clag getting in there too much. The only thing I would need to know is the thickness of C section steel required, and whether any gusset plates on the end would be needed.

I did this to my old 90. worked well easy to clean and easy to see the winch. Say i did it really Tonk did it for me :)

rear1.jpg

rear5.jpg

Here's how I did mine using a Southdown removable towhitch.

It worked very well although I'm getting rid of it now and going for an 8274 in a new cross member.

Will, if you are thinking of selling your winch mount and/or winch then I would be very interested, and theres no rush :)

Lewis

What about a demountable rear winch plate? Can't find any sensible pictures, but here's one on an American SUV.

http://www.uncleroys.com/winch-mounts.php

It's on the front, but the principle's the same.

If I remember rightly, I've seen one where it's a couple of 1.5" square section tubes coming along the longitudinals. They have a couple of holes drilled at right angles. You just line up the winch plate, it slides into the tubes, and you pass a couple of locking bolts into the holes. Quick electrical (or hydraulic)connection, and you're away.

Leaves everything free for the Tesco (Sainsbury's round here) run.

Also means if you've got the mounting and connection points front and back, you only need to shell out for one winch.

Anyone got any thoughts on these?

One winch?

Want a front and rear winch as well???

How about this idea then

DSC01011.jpg

Winch on rear plate

DSC01014.jpg

Front mounting plate. Note Keyhole slots

DSC01016.jpg

Front Anderson connectors hidden in wing

DSC01012.jpg

Rear Anderson connector in Ali box

This was spotted in Estonia. The rules there only allow one winch per vehicle. The keyhole slotted plate was the answer to one winch but requirement to winch front and back.

Hope that gives some people food for thought

Regards

Leeds