Can DVLA change my registration from commercial to car ?

I have a basic hard top 90 with 3 front seats and no side windows.

I bought some sliding second hand side windows with the intention of fitting once all my mechanical work was done, then get a re-spray and fit some rear seats.

While sourcing some rear seats recently I was advised to contact my insurance to see if they will accept this modification.

Glad I did because they got back to me and declined the seats, and declined the side windows too, unless I was upgrading/ renewing existing windows (for a £14 admin fee). As they seem to think I have fixed windows in the back, changing to sliding isn't a big problem for a nominal cost of £14, it at least improves visibility when driving blind spots drive me nuts.

I was told they could cancel the existing insurance and find an alternative under-writer who possibly would allow the rear seats (but this would incur a cancellation fee and probably higher annual premium).

Considered is it worth waiting till my insurance runs out next year and do the mods just before then insure with another company ?

Then the thought crossed my mind If I am having a respray later this year, I should notify the DVLA plus could do the changes then and change insurance.

This leads me to my question does anyone have experience of changing their vehicle registration to a car/county from a commercial ?

If I am changing my insurance anyway, I may be better to insure as a county under car insurance than as a commercial vehicle again.

I would appreciate any advice.

Regards Ian

My experience with the dvla is that if you point out the flaws in their initial advice they will pass it to someone who actually knows what they're on about.

Example: I changed a blue, petrol, 110 ambulance into a green, diesel, 110 hard top - DVLA's first response was that in needed a full inspection as I'd made significant body type alterations... I pointed out that the alterations were limited to changing the name on the V5c. Shortly after a new and corrected v5c landed on my doormat.

I would change insurance companies! NFU have never been concerned about any mods i have made, including windows, rear seats ( converted from hardtop) nor the 4.6 v8! On the re- registering, i believe they can change the tax class but you need the manufacturer ie Land Rover to confirm the change of model. Steve

I agree with ORT re the NFU.

They allowed the 3.5 to 3.9 upgrade on my 110 without fee or additional premium.

Winch no problem, larger tyres no problem.

On my old 90 the auto box and jackable sills were fine. Key point to note is that when using other parts from the LR stable, nothing seemed a problem for them.

So when you change you windows, you are in essence changing to another factory standard of configuration.

When you change your paint colour, you tell DVLA, as you should.

When you change the number of seats you should tell DVLA I believe, but if you're building to a standard that LR offered when your truck was new, I can't see it being to much of an issue for insurance. It's largely down to how you explain what it is you are doing.

My 90 hard top was described as a light van on the V5, whereas the 110 CSW is classed as an estate car.

If you're diesel powered this makes a difference if you want to drive into London. So change of taxation class may be of varied benefit to you.

the change to station wagon with a 90 with dvla is not that much of a problem , your problem will come with TFL as the VIN will not have the the designator letter for estate . Fitting seats doesnt really bother DVLA as its not a recorded item on plg vehicles on the V5 .

I appreciate all the advice and its given me plenty of thoughts on how to move forward.

My existing insurance is cheap only £200 a year don't know what NFU will cost me in comparison. Anyway that's besides the point at the moment I need to get my mods done.

First stage is to get my side windows fitted, the restricted vision, particularly when reversing (blind spots) drives me nuts. I can then get it re-sprayed. This I can do with the existing insurance company (a one off cost of £14 to add windows) and I can then notify the DVLA whilst its off road being re-sprayed.

If the seating does not need to be registered with the DVLA as the advice suggests, I can do this at a later date. I am sure my son can manage sitting up front in the center seat till the existing insurance runs out next year. This will save me the cancellation fee with my existing insurance.

However, I am now deliberating which seating option to go for in the rear. Inner facing seats was my first plan this gives me 7 seats and they fold out the way when not in use, plus cost is not to bad either to buy and fit. But on the other hand forward facing seats are safer for passengers all be it at an extra cost and less space (I know they fold away too but are a little more obtrusive than the inner facing seats), the safety aspect however, does seem to outweigh the benefits of the inner seats though.

Anyway I have plenty of time to reconsider my seating options, priority at the moment is to get the windows fitted and the body re-sprayed.

Once again thanks for all the advice I will keep you posted on my progress.

Regards Ian

Our 90 (45) is a gen county station wagon originally fitted with side facing seats I removed them (one then two children) in favour of the earlier exmoor forward facing seats. The exmoor seats fold away pretty much as well as the original and in some respects better as there's only two as opposed to four. The one thing I will say my 5 year old fits nicely in the exmoor seat without her car seat (not legally though) so you can guess how good they are for older children/adults. If I did it again I would go for puma or similar I know they cost more and take up more room but the kids aren't going to get smaller. That's why I gave in and bought a 110 and a long wheelbase ibex (though the ibex is a way off usable).

Mike

• 6 years later...
On 8/15/2015 at 9:08 PM, tacr2man said:

the change to station wagon with a 90 with dvla is not that much of a problem , your problem will come with TFL as the VIN will not have the the designator letter for estate . Fitting seats doesnt really bother DVLA as its not a recorded item on plg vehicles on the V5 .

have you tried to get TFL to see sense?

17 hours ago, shagger said:

so.... has anyone actually been able to change  their Defender from PLG to whatever a car is designated as in their eyes?

PLG is used for cars as well, my 110CSW is taxed class PLG, Private  Light Goods, there isn't a 'car' tax class before March 2001.

Have a read of this 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/v3551-notes-about-tax-classes

Click on the document to open/download

On 10/23/2021 at 3:59 PM, shagger said:

have you tried to get TFL to see sense?

not yet.......... i am advised to get the two missing seats fitted into the rear of my Def 90, take photos and then approach them. Not holding out much hope Im afraid.

On 10/23/2021 at 3:58 PM, shagger said:

so.... has anyone actually been able to change  their Defender from PLG to whatever a car is designated as in their eyes?

Body types DVLA record a vehicle body type for each registered vehicle. These body types relate to the physical construction of the vehicle but not the way in which it is currently being used. The key body type groups used are:

► Cars 4-wheel vehicles including people carriers and all passenger carrying vehicles that can carry no more than eight passengers (excluding the driver). Includes private hire taxis (PHV – Private Hire Vehicles) that are car based. Hackney Carriages are in the ‘Other vehicles’ group.

► Motorcycles 2-wheel vehicles powered by an engine, including Scooters and Mopeds, as well as powerful electric bikes: https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

► Light goods vehicles / light vans 4-wheel vehicles constructed for transporting goods. Must have a gross weight of 3.5 tonnes or less.

► Heavy goods vehicles Larger vehicles constructed for transporting goods. Must have a gross weight more than 3.5 tonnes. ► Buses and coaches Includes minibuses (which can carry no more than sixteen passengers) and all other passenger carrying vehicles with nine seats or more (excluding the driver’s seat).

► Other vehicles All vehicles not mentioned above. Includes rear diggers, lift trucks, rollers, ambulances, Hackney Carriages, three wheelers, tricycles and agricultural vehicles. 

Taxation classes

All vehicles registered by DVLA are allocated a taxation class, refecting the way in which the vehicle is used and, in some cases, by whom it is used. It does not always refect the physical construction of the vehicle. In some cases, the precise taxation class depends upon certain vehicle characteristics such as engine size, propulsion type, emission rates, gross weight, number of axles or, in the case of public transport vehicles, and the number of seats. There have been many changes to the taxation classes over the years and the main ones are described later. Key taxation class groupings presented within this publication are:

► Private and light goods (PLG) This is by far the most common tax class, covering almost 89% of licensed vehicles. This tax class primarily consists of cars and light vans but can include other vehicles used only for private purposes. Tax bands within PLG depend on engine size for vehicles frst registered before March 2001, while for cars registered on or after March 2001, tax bands are based upon levels of CO2 emissions, with lower rates for cleaner vehicles.

► Motorcycles, scooters and mopeds This is a self-explanatory tax class, but excludes tricycles which are in the other tax band. The rates of tax payable depend upon engine size.

► Goods vehicles have a gross weight of over 3.5 tonnes and are used for carrying goods are taxed in this class. Generally, the rate of tax payable depends on the maximum gross weight and the axle confguration of the vehicle. Since 1999 reduced rates have been available for vehicles that create less pollution.

► Buses This category covers buses and coaches with more than eight seats (excluding the driver) used for commercial purposes. Vehicles not used for commercial purposes would be licensed in the PLG tax class. The rate of tax payable is dependent upon the number of seats in the vehicle. As for goods vehicles, since 1999 reduced rates have been available for vehicles that create less pollution.

► Crown and Exempt This group includes vehicles which are exempt from vehicle excise duty. This can be for a variety of reasons, including vehicles driven by disabled drivers, emergency and crown vehicles and vehicles manufactured before 1972. ► Other vehicles The ‘other’ group includes agricultural vehicles, recovery vehicles, general haulage vehicles, small island vehicles and tricycles.

► Special Machines Special Machines became part of the ‘Crown and Exempt’ taxation class with efect from January 2002.