Black and Silver reg plates

ejparrott

I'm certain we talked about this a few weeks ago but I cannot find the post, but it appears the law has been changed on the legal use of black and silver plates on road vehicles - can anyone verifiy?

This image was posted to Farcebook the other day, and I've been trying to find the original source to verify it but I can't

black%20and%20silver_zpsdlnznjcq.jpg

This was then followed up by a trader who is listing the same thing

black%20and%20silver%20trader_zpswojjvkb

I've tried wading through the insidedvla blog and I can't find it. It's the only time I've come across it and supposedly it changed in April this year.

'72 was a rolling date for tax exemption, that the Labour government then made fixed a year or so later, I don't think it was linked with number plates, they were phased out around that time, my moggy had yellow and white ones, and that is '71!

'72 was a rolling date for tax exemption, that the Labour government then made fixed a year or so later, I don't think it was linked with number plates, they were phased out around that time, my moggy had yellow and white ones, and that is '71!

They were phased out yes, in fact some time before '73 when the reflective rules came about as I understood it, late '60s. There was always an allowance for tax exempt - pre '73 - for them to be used, something I enjoyed with my 109 as I do like them. It didn't start moving with the new rolling tax date though, until this year it appears when they've changed that too.

now its historic vehicle class as trigger for use of black and white plates , but if you were using a vehicle that would originally have been required to have reflective , you are hardly going to spoil its concours condition with a "fake" plate . It may be that this has been brought in to go towards an EU compliance , as european historic class vehicles usually have a special "historic" designated plate

although the number would have quite [possibly have changed several times thru its life , as UK is only one that has a plate tied to vehicle for life (with cherished exceptions)

It appears to have only changed this year, when I last looked, it still said pre '73 vehicles only.

It's good news for me, 7 years time when my 88 becomes tax exempt I can have black and silver plates for her. I like them, but I'd never fit them if they weren't legal!

just something else of no purpose to confuse everyone, just have a set date when reflective plates must be fitted as it was -- 1 jan 1973 & any vehicle before that date retains the silver or white letters/numbers on black background, then it's easy for everyone to understand.