Poor heating and thinking of a replacement,

Ever since I have owned my 110 the heater has been rubbish. more like an asthmatic blowing on the windscreen than anything.

So when the heater fan stopped working it didn't make too much difference.

Now the Mrs is complaining and I could do with a bit of heat on these cold mornings, but looking around there must be a better product than just replacing the old fan.

How much heat does the eberspacher D2 kick out, could I use this instead to warm the car up and defrost the windscreen.

An eberspacher will melt your face compared to the defender heater - but a stock Defender heater should work well enough if it's actually set up correctly. I believe there's a post in the technical archive about checking & setting all the various flaps and things properly, worth a read, could sort the problem out for nothing more than an afternoon playing with flaps.

Maybe try and fix the current one..... All is takes is a bit of mud in the fan housing to stop it. Clean it out, make sure the flaps are adjusted. Make sure your thermostat is not leaking. It should be pretty decent when running properly. No problem here to around -30 in a 90, maybe -20 in a 110.

Thinking about it more, it might be easier to remove the heater unit to have a better look at it and to fix the bits i've broke.

I won't get enough time now till Feb to have a good look at it, but does anyone have an easy guide on how to remove the heater unit I can follow when I do get the time.

Heater on my 300Tdi was useless when I first got it, but a combination of flushing the matrix, lubricating and adjusting the cables made a vast difference. There's still too much air to the passenger side, though my wife does not agree with that assessment. Will wait for the summer to play with balancing the flow and hope that she doesn't notice once it gets cold again.

Another often overlooked problem is the foam gasket between the heater box & bulkhead. These tend to rot / go manky and do not give a decent seal.

If you replace with a new one (STC952) it makes a vast difference to the air-flow. If you're taking the box out anyway - you might as well change it at the same time.

Si

Another often overlooked problem is the foam gasket between the heater box & bulkhead. These tend to rot / go manky and do not give a decent seal.

If you replace with a new one (STC952) it makes a vast difference to the air-flow. If you're taking the box out anyway - you might as well change it at the same time.

Si

Better still, make a copy out of camping roll mat, which is a denser seal and won't rot.

Hi.

When you do take the heaterbox out, have a look at the hole through the bulkhead. At least on a left steer model, the hole is only about 2/3 as big as the outlet of the heaterbox. Cutting the hole through the bulkhead apropriate made a big difference in both mine (a 90 and a 110).

Regarding an eberspacher, I have a d1 in the 110 and it is sufficient to the point where the kids ask for less heat after half an hours running in 0 celsius :-). Really a nice thing to have.

/Mads

I plan on taking the heater out in Feb so will look at all the mods then and take my time to make sure its all in tip top working order.

Heat was never an issue its the dead fan that's a problem now.

If I need more heat later on I'll look again at the D2, but for now I think I could spend the money making the 110 look a little better so the Mrs will like the car.