Consequences and legality?

Nigelw

The pitfalls of buying privately. If you don't know what you're looking for, pay to have it inspected by someone that does.

As far as the MOT is concerned, it's finger and thumb pressure only, although you can tap or poke anything suspicious with the corrosion tool, (a small plastic hammer on an ally' shaft).

I've seen repairs I was sure where not structurally sound but had no way of proving within the limits of the test.

Fresh thick underseal can hide all manner of sins!

It could be said that if anyone here was criminally negligent it's Land Rover. How any manufacturer can build a vehicle that rots like that is beyond me.

The seller doesn't have to be mechanically minded either. If you have something in writing that the chassis is sound then that would be something. Else sold as seen chalk it up to experience. Try and get a report or a mate next time. Sometimes the aa and such won't do reports on old cars so even if you want a second opinion can be tricky. Unlucky but should be nice once it's all fixed.

It could be said that if anyone here was criminally negligent it's Land Rover. How any manufacturer can build a vehicle that rots like that is beyond me.

I agree 100% with this. The chassis' on these d2s are an absolute disgrace. They were a faulty design from the outset that would be prone to rot.

Nigel I think anyone who hooks a trailer to anything without first giving trailer and towing vehicle the breifist of checks is a moron and deserves anything and more that comes to them.

I'm with Daan, IMHO the person is just whining that it's not their fault when they obviously could have checked better.

In fact I'm quite impressed that the 'repairs' look so good considering what they have had to weld to, I'd have gone straight for sikaflex and bypassed the mig, although the knick in the derv tank is a dead giveaway as the whereabouts of a join!

Will.

I think a buyer should have some right to not being lied to about the condition of a vehicle. Otherwise we are absolving those who would con us of any responsibility.

Obviously a buyer should take some responsibility - in line with what is reasonable.

But I do think their is a point where it moves over into fraud and in that instance we shouldn't take such a hard stance on those taken in by it.

It's not against the law to sell an unroadworthy vehicle, but it is against the law to use one on the road.

The driver is always responsible for ensuring the vehicle is in a safe and legal condition, quoting an ebay description is no defence in law..

What if's!

What if the seller was unaware of the true state of the chassis?

What if they just asked the local garage/Fred in a shed/Bob in a barn, to get it through an MOT as cheap as possible?

What if the garage/Fred/Bob passed the welding work on to someone else?

What if the guy that did the welding truly believed he'd done a good job?

What if everyone involved thought everything under the mask of thick underseal was fine?

:rolleyes:

What if's!

What if the seller was unaware of the true state of the chassis?

What if they just asked the local garage/Fred in a shed/Bob in a barn, to get it through an MOT as cheap as possible?

What if the garage/Fred/Bob passed the welding work on to someone else?

What if the guy that did the welding truly believed he'd done a good job?

What if everyone involved thought everything under the mask of thick underseal was fine?

:rolleyes:

You missed one: what if the seller is also an mot man. :ph34r:

• Like 1

In my previous life as a mechanic my boss presented me with an Isuzu Rodeo ,the old model ,and instructed me to waxoyl the chassis ,after less than 5 mins of cleaning on the hoist I had found the offside chassis rail was rotten and had snapped clean through just behind the cab ,I alerted my boss to it who said his mate had just bought it and it had 11 months mot on it ! Turned out that the seller just happened to work at the mot station that had "tested" it.One phone call later and my boss's mate had his money back ,another phone call and the ministry had all the details !.

As I don't do faceache I haven't read the details on the D2 but it all comes down to how the sale was agreed on ,sold as seen ?,full mot ?,for spares or repair ? .It IS against the law to sell an item that you are aware is unfit for purpose without advertising it as such ,its all in the details . I personally have twice bought a motor on eBay without viewing ,I got stung when buying a Toyota surf (cracked head ,full of radweld ) and got lucky when buying my current Disco 300 auto ,both sellers seemed honest genuine people when talking to them on the phone but only one of them was ! I didnt call the seller of the surf to complain ,even though he had stitched me up ,it was my own fault for buying unseen .I personally couldn't do it to a private buyer ,the guilt would haunt me .