Difflock Sump / Drain Plugs?

=jon=

Hi

Has anyone fitted some of these:

http://www.difflock.com/oilsandadditives/drain-plugs

(The Difflock no mess sump plug valve drain hose thingies)

I had a look at this a while back, when they were about £30 for the whole kit - now it's pushing £60 for the plug and drain hose!

Are they really worth that sort of money - the feedback from searching seems very positive but from back before the price went up, or are there cheaper alternatives out there?

Cheers

Jon

I have one fitted to my 300Tdi... love it! My only criticism is that on a previous Disco the thread in the sump was less than perfect, and these strip quite easily. I don't recall the exact number, but something like 12Nm is all they tighten to. They make an oil change a breeze.

Rather than messing round with these stupid, expensive solutions - if you have a wet/dry 'shop' vacuum-cleaner, buy one of the probe-adapters that let you use the shop-vac to suck the old oil out through the dipstick-tube.

Pull out the dipstick, stuff in the probe, switch on the sucker. Go and make yourself a coffee.

Ten minutes later - you've drunk the coffee and the sump's sucked-out.

What's not to like??

my brother managed to strip the sump plug on his 320d (he had the ratchet set to tighten rather than loosen and was swinging off it thinking "someones really done a number on this" when trying to undo it :P. A garage fixed it by badly tapping the wrecked M12 thread out to M14, and jamming in an M14 sump plug. Removing that M14 plug feels horrible and retorquing it after feels even worse.

So to save any sump-replacement sized hassle, he bought himself an oil pump like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-TP69P-Vacuum-Oil-Fluid-Extractor-Pump-Manual-6-5ltr-Replaces-TP69-/201430427258?hash=item2ee630667a:g:kNQAAOSwKIpWATaT

It comes with a variety of hoses that you poke down the dipstick tube and you pump it up like a garden sprayer, and it sucks all the old oil out.

We tried removing the drain plug after it had done its thing, and it really was empty.

Quite dear, but makes an oil change really easy and saves you clambering underneath. Plus unlike the wee tap thing, works on all your cars.