Spooling synthetic rope

As you've worked out, you don't spool it on like wire. You spool it on loose. The first layer can be done neatly, as you'll get no bunching, but after that it pays to criss-cross on the first couple of layers. The only downside to this is that you get less length of synthetic on your drum, but it minimises bunching.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers for that SteveG

Looks as though I will be taking it off and chopping 5m to make in to an extension piece then!

As it is, the last 4 turns start a new layer that rubs on the winch tray and bridge.

If I spool it loosely, there is no way it will all fit on the drum.

Mike

Can I hijack and ask how you clean them ? Mine is looking a bit green ..

I used to rinse it a couple of times first in a big garden bucket that could take the whole rope easily. This gets the worse off, then I'd rinse out the bucket and refill with warm water and car shampoo. I would then thoroughly wash it and with any particularly bad bits, I'd push the rope together to open the strands. Then rinse it all a couple of times again in cold water.

Bit of a pain, but it kept the ropes in really good condition.

Either take off the hook or wrap it rags and zip tie them on, and then ( whilst the enemy is not around) chuck them in the washing machine on a cool wash with half a tub of washing powder.

and dont get to near it when it goes into fast spin, you will think the machines going to explode, and "hey presto" 30 minutes later - one spotless rope.....

Top tip - Make sure you wipe the door seal clear of any grit/mud to get rid of any evidence that lets them you know how to use a washing machine.....

Easy innit?

I had mine quite right - though with a bit of cross pattern on it, because when I had it more loosely spooled I was getting 'slips' as I was winching - which seemed pretty dangerous and made things that little bit unpredictable.

Can anyone help with that ?

I had mine quite right - though with a bit of cross pattern on it, because when I had it more loosely spooled I was getting 'slips' as I was winching - which seemed pretty dangerous and made things that little bit unpredictable.

Can anyone help with that ?

As long as the rope is properly secured to the drum it won't slip. How are you securing it?

It wasn't slipping on the drum - it was just the rope not being under a constant tension if that makes sense ? So a coil would suddenly be loose before the strength of the pull put the next under tension.

Securing it wise I have one of those double loops that trap the coils against the drum.

No need to say sorry, just checking. I haven't winched, or been off road for that matter, for eons now, but I don't recall having that issue. So sorry I can't help, other than to say if you're not that concerned about the pinching when spooling out, then put the rope on under load to stop this.

The fact is that, as soon as you do your first winching in under load, you're going to run the risk of it pinching anyway. So spooling on loosely only helps you out on the first spooling out. ;)

cheers, Steve

Many thanks for the advice.

Re spoiled the rope under tension for the first two layers and then did two criss cross layers followed by another two straight layers under tension. No sign of pulling through.

Nice constant tension courtesy of the x-defend pedal lock which applies the foot brake!

Regarding washing I put mine though the washing machine (I have an old one in the garage, I daren't use the house one obviously!). The movement of the drum seems to get the mud out of the weave really well. Just wrap the hook well otherwise it batters the drum a bit :D

Gents

I have just fitted a synthetic rope to my winch, and spooled on as per wire rope under tension.

The first time I used it (gardening!) the rope pulled down in to the layer below.

What is the preferred method to reduce the likelihood of this happening?

Mike

Having read over this is your syn rope going under the drum when going in and out?

I always spooled the rope on under load. Used to winch the forklift up the drive (moderate slope) feeding the rope on evenly. Rope spooled off excellently. At the end of a day's competing at a winch challenge event I would re spool under load.

The instructions that came with my synthetic rope kit (Warn) said to spool on under load, the first time wasn't too pretty and didn't layer very evenly. I've since ran out and respooled it a couple of times and it seems to layer better now...either that or I'm just getting better at feeding it on.

• 3 months later...

synthetic should be spooled on under load to avoid it biting down through the layers. if you have to spool it on loose. like having pulled out more than is required to get to the anchor point when you are stuck then criss cross it back on, once will do then it will only bit to that cross. after the next loaded pull, unspool the rope back to where it was criss crossed and spool it back on under load.

the problems of not doing this were highligted to many when freespool drums first came to the competition scene.