Stolen Defender 90 from Sussex 26/4/16

mickeyw

The tractors nowadays I think don't have the 'standard' Lucas starting switch where one key fits all and most are fitted with an immobilisation device that locks up the gearbox now as well.

Agreed - there is a bit of a difference between todays machine and a fergie

I was more thinking that farm machinery seems to go missing just as frequently as Land Rovers, or at least the news seems to give that impression. So I'd assume they are just as good at defeating modern tractor security as they are our Land Rovers security.

Agreed - there is a bit of a difference between todays machine and a fergie

Okay, it's been six years since I worked on the farm, but when I did we had new, state of the art tractors and telehandlers, none of them had an immobiliser, and none of them had unique keys.

The only immobiliser I ever encountered was on a 1997 JS200LC tracked excavator - and that was an aftermarket jobbie which was next to useless

A JCB key fits all JCB's, a case key fits all case, a Valtra key all valtra's, likewise all of the other brands.

Have a quick look on eBay at the amount of sellers listing "plant key" and "farm key" bundles where you get one key for each brand. Machinery is all keyed alike. Any of you that think tractors or plant is hard to steal needs to think again

I just installed a security post on my driveway recently, much to the scoffing of my neighbour who's comment was "I've left all sorts of things out over the years and its never disappeared" - he owns a lightly modified D1 so you'd have thought he'd be a bit sympathetic.

It's also worth looking at the dipstick! Often the end of it is cut as a spare key.

Si

Hmm.. it would be a long way from the transponder, even our ancient John Deere has a transponder key..

Of course they get stolen.. just like lots of things with clever security systems.. I'd be willing to bet that quite often they aren't locked and the start key is left in them or under the seat etc when its left in the yard.

Its trailers that are a pain to secure, a local had a stuffing great boat lifted from his yard, they left the hitch lock, the wheel clamp and the flat battery grinder where they fell. I suppose they didn't steal the charger.

I just installed a security post on my driveway recently, much to the scoffing of my neighbour who's comment was "I've left all sorts of things out over the years and its never disappeared" - he owns a lightly modified D1 so you'd have thought he'd be a bit sympathetic.

Take no notice.. if you make yours less easy to take it will hopefully make them pass on to an easier target. Possibly the scoffing neighbour?

• Like 1

I had an N reg 306 d turbo years ago with a number key pad immobiliser, hardly cutting edge!

Also, just checked with a colleague - the code is the same on all JCB products

I'm back in plant again, we had key codes on CAT dozers and Komatsu loading shovels circa 2004. Yes JCB stuff has a generic code, mostly a deterrent to woulde youths but that code can be changed to a unique code as per our Hitachi excavators, I have all the plant numbers and their key codes in my diary now after arriving on site and having to ring the plant manager at 06:15 to ask the code, having an Hitachi key unlocked the door and inspection panels but that's it!

Currently waiting for my Disklok steering lock for the disco, also looking forward to getting in the workshop to make a clutch lock.

Hi-viz yellow paint that screams F##K OFF and try someone else' motor mate.

So he wants to wait until after something has disappeared? Sounds like an idiot.