roof tent

miketomcat

Right well it goes like this we are considering a roof tent. Now we have done enough camping to know the pros and cons and have friends both with and without roof tents.

Here is the BUT we need one big enough to sleep me (6'3"), the wife (normal size) and two girls (3 and 5 years) the girls are obviously going to get bigger. So a 1.6m isn't going to cut it in fact I don't think a 1.8 will.

What's available (yes I have looked but checking for missed brands/options) and anyone got one/experiences.

Mike

Size matters but with the size the weight goes up.

AlpenTrip201304Opdecampingmethetdakchale

The big Hannibal and officially it sleeps 4. We found 2 adults are fine but that is just us.

I suggest you consider getting 2 "smaller ones" as it gives a bit privacy, you can leave one home when not needed and you don't have to open over the side.

Buy the best you can afford - quality does vary.

If we went down the "two" smaller route which I like the idea of do you think it would be possible to get from one to the other perhaps through the side window (side overhang, side by side). Both girls suffer from nightmares and we regularly need to settle them.

We have seen (on the net) the 2.4m x 2.4m versions obviously big enough and man handling is not an issue but weight and use might be.

Mike

Forgive the additional question, but Arjan, I notice you appear to have trimmed your brownchurch rack. I was hoping to mount mine within the rack frame, is this not possible?

The Hannibal we had was the 1.6 mtrs. wide one. This one will not fit inside the Brownchurch - if opening over the rear or front it is wider than the Land Rover... I was not happy cutting the Brownchurch but I had no choice. Event. sold the tent & roofrack to a 110 owner who is still using it as I made it.

2012Daktentmetawning2.jpg

The 1.40 mtrs. version does, AFAIK, fit inside the Brownchurch. However, there is very little space left for other stuff in that case.

FYI : the tent came on 2 roof bars - the First Four ones - and I was told the seller never had problems. Build as I am, I decided I needed to have something a bit more sturdy, hence the Brownchurch.

This season, I'll be using a rebuild Hard Shell RTT but eventually go for a Home Build Pop Up roof.

Mike, the 1.60 as shown on my above pic weighed in without the awning for 98 Kgs. The 110 never really showed it in it's handling but the Ninety did...

2 side by side 1.40 roof tents fit very nice on a 110 - several clients have this set up - and like you they need to reassure children now and then. The side windows can be opened and are large enough for children to crawl through if need be. It also gives quite a bit of space under the tents on the side..

One family had a full length (and I mean : full length...) 130 roof tent made for them and it slept 6 easily on top. Brownchurch is always considering making something "one-off" for you..

I have tried a few in different configurations, including two tents, for 4 people. Here is my favourite mounting solution for two tents in the picture.

IMG_1053.jpg

Note that these Eezi Awn tents are the same at each end, so whilst we used the end by the ladder for entry and exit, the other end has the same zip doors and insect netting. In other words, easy access from one tent to the other, in the middle of the the roof, without danger of falling off the side, with reasonable care.

It's a fair bit of weight on the roof and you notice it in the handling. OK with awareness though. It's on the limit for Land Rover's top expedition roof load.

Have a look at James Baroud RTT's.

https://www.devon4x4.com/off-road-store/expedition-and-travel/tents-and-awnings.html?p=4

I have one,the quality is hard to beat,& they go up in seconds,all your bedding is stored inside,so straight into bed.

:i-m_so_happy:

Marc

Nice but the xxl is only 1.6x 2.2m so don't think it's big enough.

I will show the wife the one in front of the other option as that may tick some boxes.

Mike

What kind of camping are you doing? Staying in one place and moving around? If that's the case then a roof tent will be a pain.

When I was supervising Duke of Edinburgh awards we (the leaders) had a large (6 large double bedrooms, communal area, porch and integrated ground sheet) Khyam tent. They don't do it anymore but it wasn't cheap but probably comparable to two roof tents. You could just about erect it in 15 minutes with 4 people, it was designed so that you simply walked apart and everything snapped into place. The inner bedroom pods went up independently. Our record was 3m30 I think but there were 10 of us who knew what we were doing.

Not saying you need one as big as that, we parked a Disco 2 inside the communal area, but you can leave it behind and occupies a similar volume to a big roof tent. It also has the advantage (Khyam ones anyway) of being fast to erect. Not as robust without guidelines as some tents but then serves a different purpose.

Rob who normally carried it also built a storage unit into the back of his Disco which once the tent was up you pulled out two drawers, carried them inside and voila you had a gas hob and washing up facilities. We normally used one pod as a kitchen area, two as bedrooms and the central area for eating / sitting in chairs.

It's a well known fact I don't rate roof tents that highly, but I was thinking of investing in one simply to find an easy way to sleep the two smalls and me

Instead I went back to the classic CVRT shelter, knocked up a rough free-standing frame for it so I don't depend on the vehicle. It will sleep the hairy arse crew of a Challenger at a push, so me, the girls and a spaniel fit fine, with loads of spare space for stuff. It's a doddle to put up - although easier if you hang it off the vehicle - and tough as old boots as its canvas. Cheap too. Also works well with a basha over the rear door...

Dave/ed we have a cvrt, two quecha popups one 4man one 2 man and have had numerous others. We know all about tents of every type.

We have a sankey toolbox trailer which has a kitchen in one side (this is going to be used with the roof tent as it is with our ground tents.

The roof tent would be for 1-2 night stays or multi stop holidays. We want something that can be put up in seconds with beding in place so we can pull up put the kids down then sort the rest.

I've never been a fan of roof tents for various reasons but we find ourselves in a position where they make the most sense.

Mike

Im importing a load of good used 1.2 eezyawns from south africa soon, so drop me a line if you want and I can sort you out with a couple at a good price when they get here.

They mount well fore & aft on a 110 roof and are about 48kg each. They are the latest type

with the bungee cord canvas lining that helps faster packing away.

Cheers - Darren

Im importing a load of good used 1.2 eezyawns from south africa soon, so drop me a line if you want and I can sort you out with a couple at a good price when they get here.

They mount well fore & aft on a 110 roof and are about 48kg each. They are the latest type

with the bungee cord canvas lining that helps faster packing away.

Cheers - Darren

Mike

When I go camping with the kids AND SWMBO we use a folding camper. It's a Pennine Pathfinder 6. It's our second folding camper, on the back of three trailer tents. Our previous folding camper was a Pennine Pullman. The folding camper works for us - camping but with al the mod cons. The Pathfinder is huge - bigger than most caravans - yet folds to six meters and 1.2tonnes. Up in 20 mins, with awning up in another 20 mins....

I designed and had made a RTT about 30 years ago now , as you could not buy one back then , it was made of canvas and was built into a box type roof rack , the lid on one side became the base of the A type tent when opened , so it was 1.5 landrovers wide and went from behind front doors (on a 110 CSW) to rear , and was accessed by the roof rack rear ladder . The bedding was all inside , and it took about 1 to 2 mins to be ready for use, I later made an awning tent that went under the overhang , no poles as it was cantilever design. It was brill for use in Australia , and summer camping elsewhere , but wet weather use becomes a pita , as all the time saved is used later in getting it dry for long term storage . I sold it when I left Australia , and converted inside for 2 , for European travel , and long period , tug a caravan . JMHO but RTT , not best solution for long stays and weather in Eu.

With the best will in the world we don't have room for a caravan. A trailer tent necessitates selling our sankey (which wouldn't sell for sensible money). We have ground tents coming out of our ears. A roof tent is the best option for us, our situation and use. I'm after experience with the big ones or two smaller and what to look for/avoid.

Mike

They are all much of a muchness. Over priced. Generally either poor quality or overly heavy. That one I sold to TSD was pretty well made - to the point where you could take it apart to mend it - but was blessed heavy.

When I was at OEC we used to sell the Safari Equip lightweight import ones - in order to comply with the roof weight legislation. They were light and cheap, almost disposable. Surprisingly for something that always moves in the wind, they actually lasted quite well.

Roof weight isn't your concern - except in handling - unlike those with Land Rover products. I'd be tempted to get a couple of the lightweight 1.4's and go that way. Talk to Alex Savery at Rooftents UK. He's a good bloke, although some don't take to him. He sells well priced tents (01736740599)