roof tent

miketomcat

I have a Brownchurch rack on my 109, half of which is boarded (plan to do the rest at some point). A Quecha 2-man "2-seconds Air" (the Air bit refers to side flaps that open for ventilation) fits between the rack's side rails with only a slight squeeze on the tent sides. It's not warm for deep winter camping and it doesn't fold up with the bedding inside, but at £40, and moments to erect and fold away, it's a cheap alternative.

With the best will in the world we don't have room for a caravan. A trailer tent necessitates selling our sankey (which wouldn't sell for sensible money). We have ground tents coming out of our ears. A roof tent is the best option for us, our situation and use. I'm after experience with the big ones or two smaller and what to look for/avoid.

Mike

Why not mount a trailer tent on the Sankey rather than a RTT ?

Generally speaking the trailer tents are bigger than the RTTs and are actually quicker to put up if you just stick with the core section but they can be expanded on with additional rooms, porches, side walls depending on your needs and how long you are staying at a particular site.

Not the best pics but this is our trailer tent mounted on our Sankey:

post-2025-0-31670700-1462281501_thumb.jpg

Partially opened out (the "porch" to the left of the living area opens out to cover the 2.1 metre x 2 metre additional room):

post-2025-0-81983300-1462281682_thumb.jpg

Tent removed (the supporting bars and canvas cover can also be removed to use as a "standard" Sankey)

post-2025-0-49492200-1462281773_thumb.jpg

just throwing it out there as an option as we've spent months living in a RTT and the addition of two dogs to the family has meant we've had to rethink how we're going to carry everything/everybody and where they are going to sleep. The Sankey based trailer tent gives us the extra camping room, means we can leave camp set up while we explore in the vehicle. Prior to the trailer tent we were using a RTT and ended up towing the Sankey anyway because we needed the extra luggage space !

Why not mount a trailer tent on the Sankey rather than a RTT ?

Generally speaking the trailer tents are bigger than the RTTs and are actually quicker to put up if you just stick with the core section but they can be expanded on with additional rooms, porches, side walls depending on your needs and how long you are staying at a particular site.

Not the best pics but this is our trailer tent mounted on our Sankey:

Tent removed (the supporting bars and canvas cover can also be removed to use as a "standard" Sankey)

just throwing it out there as an option as we've spent months living in a RTT and the addition of two dogs to the family has meant we've had to rethink how we're going to carry everything/everybody and where they are going to sleep. The Sankey based trailer tent gives us the extra camping room, means we can leave camp set up while we explore in the vehicle. Prior to the trailer tent we were using a RTT and ended up towing the Sankey anyway because we needed the extra luggage space !

I had vaguely similar plans for my Sankey, but I sold it when I emigrated. It has a lot of benefits if you are carrying a lot of kit.

Mike

I know you've tried every tent under the sun but have you tried the Quechua 4 man pop up, or the Quechua multi-pod system?

They're very good, though the bedrooms are a bit tight with an inflatable airbed.

Mike, I reckon you need to put your better half to work designing a new & improved roof tent as there seems to be a lack of decent stuff out there.

Then again, I reckon there's a gap in the caravan market for something that isn't like stepping into a retirement home. :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Tuff-trek tent has vents at end and sides to gain access through into another tent should you need it Mine has the annex but they do them without as well. Dara is a very knowledgeable and does not try force selling if you speak to him.

post-112216-0-96318900-1465319488_thumb.jpeg

post-112216-0-77692900-1465319510_thumb.jpeg