Are you sitting Comfortably?

I have a '96 90 and it is a pain in the A**, literally! I would welcome any suggestions for improving the seating in my vehicle. Ok ideally I would like to retain the forward tilt on the passenger seat as we have a bed conversion that goes from front to back and the seats need to be able to accommodate a 6'2" and a 5'4" driver, and they have to be comfortable for trips to africa and back. Oh yes I like blue and my wife likes yellow ;o)

Help!!!!!

Cheers

Fruit

If you can find some newer Defender items, why not clean the fabric with a small steam cleaner, replace the foams and fit heated seat elements?

Exmoor trim do the foams and elements as a package; £150 or so complete for two front seats which includes all wiring and switches.

You use the seat frames, obviously, but could spray them for a smarter look. Exmoor also do plastic covers for the seat back hinge mechanisms to make things look even better; £5 each from memory.

My '94 110 has standard seats and they're surprisingly comfortable. All I'm gonna do is replace the drivers foam, fit heater elements and mechanism covers and wash the fabric.

XS seats would be the more complete option though. If you're lucky, you may be able to find some Trackers.

I have a '96 90 and it is a pain in the A**, literally!

This is the important bit, it is uncomfortable, after an hour driving I feel like I have been kicked in the backside by a horse.

Are XS seats really more comfortable than standard, there are so many nice looking seats out there some must fit :( and be wonderfully.... well comfy. oh and will these seats fit with the bulkhead in place,. I know I want miracles wonderful off road performance and comfort too!

Cheers

Fruit

This is the important bit, it is uncomfortable, after an hour driving I feel like I have been kicked in the backside by a horse.

Are XS seats really more comfortable than standard, there are so many nice looking seats out there some must fit :( and be wonderfully.... well comfy. oh and will these seats fit with the bulkhead in place,. I know I want miracles wonderful off road performance and comfort too!

Cheers

Fruit

Have you taken a look at/tried other 90s? The 90 seats can feel cramped when you first get in but I and many other find them to actually be very comfortable but clearly you don't (my early 110 was like that).

Try swapping passenger and driver seat bases or maybe borrow one from someone else before you throw the lot out.

Well I think I may have sorted the problem, bought two seats from Makro fo £89 plus vat with a bit of engineering (drilling, plating and swearing) they fit and seem really quite comfortable. certainly better than the existing 90 seats and cheaper than new bases.

Now all that remains is to fit anderson plugs to my batteries so that i don't need to get at them too often which will require 4 bolts to be undone and the passenger seat removed.

Thanks for your advice

regards

Fruit

well our XS saets are no more comfortable than standard 90 ones and appear no different other than the coverings.

Maybe the change was implemented earlier than your 90 was built, as the new (1month old) XS seats that came direct from Land Rover are definately a diffrent shape - the base feels more sculpted like a bucket seat and the back has more lumbar support at the base of your back and also feels like it "hugs" you more. Sorry cant describe it any better than that, other than inviting you to sit in them, upon which you will certainly agree that they are in fact different to standard defender seats :)

Note: i assume they are XS seats - they are half-leather and heated, however they may be from an alternate even higher spec vehicle (although i'm not aware there is such a vehicle) ;)

Also, it may be that the seats for the XS have been changed since your vehicle was built - as i say the seats i make refence to are brand new - and your vehicle is an 05 plate IIRC

Lewis

I've fitted a pair of Cobra Daytonas to mine, the standard seats were horrible with the mileages I cover towing.

They were a bitch to fit, and the wings of the seat only *just* squeeze in between the cubby box and the A-piller (in fact they actually touch), and to top it all off you lose the battery box, so I need to fit terminals at some point.

However, they are damned comfortable and look fantastic

As I have just type this out on another thread, and is reverent here,

I use these

the Cobra Monaco S seats, are exactly the same as the Exmoor trim Trakkers Monaco Seat so to make life easy !! I used some of their sub frames along with the Runners

probably in hindsight the bitch's seat did not need the runners, but I have to look after the old git, as Victor is no spring chicken any more !! :P

I have found them very good, and would fit again, work well,

• 1 month later...

As promised to Tony many weeks ago, here are the pictures of the XS(?) seats in my mates 110 that I claim are a diffrent shape to standard defender seats

med_gallery_1739_203_141559.jpg

med_gallery_1739_203_261376.jpg

med_gallery_1739_203_36545.jpg

I didnt think to check the part number though, maybe next weekend if i remember

Sorry about the poor quality - their was rain on the lens and i had to resize the photos before i could upload them

Lewis :)

I have put Saab 900 front seats in my 90 pickup - there is an issue re getting to battery etc - currently seats are not bolted down.....but they are higher than 90 seats so if you ate too much at xmas - like me you may notice how near the wheel is to you but...they are fabulously comfortab;e - they raise up to give shorter legs a chance and are heated but not connected and they are leather too but do not fold to allow the stuff you want in - but the lumbar support is fantastic - look on ebay for saab 9000 interiors velour or hide

i am still trying to think how to fix them - someone siggeted chequer plate with rubber underneath to stop metal on metal abrasion/nosie but how do i get to battery oif they are bolted or rivetted?

ideas graefully accepted

regards chrisp

1987 90 truck cab

i am still trying to think how to fix them - someone siggeted chequer plate with rubber underneath to stop metal on metal abrasion/nosie but how do i get to battery oif they are bolted or rivetted?

ideas graefully accepted

regards chrisp

When I fitted some Cobra bucket seats to my old 90 I made an 8mm (i think) thick aluminium plate that was wide enough to pick up on the seat runner mountings on the seat box and then using counter sunk bolts from underneath the plate picked up the runner mountings in the bottom of the seat. This did require a bit of a fiddle to get to the back bolts holding the plate down but it was do-able and if you fit a charching socket to the front of the seatbox you don't need to get to the batteries all that often anyway.

Sorry no photo's was about 10 years ago when I had the 90.

Pete