Second Alt can't shut my bonnet.

Second Alternator Mount 300Tdi Engine. Standard Gwyn Lewis one but with a 24V alternator on it with the rear shielding can removed as it was certainly hitting the bonnet as it sticks up.

Why can't i close the bloody bonnet!

The Alt is the same fixings as a normal one and so therefor the same diameter as even a 12v.......Argh.

Sensible suggestions please and to why this "normal" thing is now abnormal. Vehicle is a Pulse Ambulance with a Military Bonnet of course. Did they use an older bonnet or something?

• Like 1

I've checked some photos of other bonnets and it looks pretty similar. I think the problem is the Alternator is a bigger diameter from looking at photos. I might be able to shorten the belt and "cant" the alt back but i'm still trying to figure it out.

I'm struggling to understand how it can hit the bonnet. My airbox is bolted on an angled bracket to the same mounting points as your alternator, and it clears the bonnet just fine, and surely must be a bigger diameter than the 24v alt?

2BEC468F-30DF-4B66-ADBA-E4795D0C7F25_zps

Perhaps my engine being further back makes all the difference

I'm struggling to understand how it can hit the bonnet. My airbox is bolted on an angled bracket to the same mounting points as your alternator, and it clears the bonnet just fine, and surely must be a bigger diameter than the 24v alt?

Perhaps my engine being further back makes all the difference

I dont think it can be that, whilst my engine is in the same position as yours I come over the top of the intake hose with my air duct and thats gotta be 75mm diameter, its close but doesn't touch the bonnet, then the bonnet curves up another 50mm so there should be at least a bit of clearance.

post-38886-0-50060700-1467758339_thumb.jpg

With things like this I stick blu-tac to the bonnet (or whatever) and then close the lid gently, you will then see a witness mark which is exactly where the collision is.

HTH

Its genuine as per my footer Ron although its military. The bonnet underside look same as a 300 although with a few additional screws in it and its hitting just to the outside edge of the strut under the second hole. All i can suggest at the momnet is the 24v Alt is a larger diameter but not got one to check it against. I'm toying with getting a 755 belt rather than the 803 thats there and seeing is that "cants" it back enough. I've also asked if anyone can get me a generic 24v alt from a merc or Iveco or something which might be a better diameter and also give me a get out of jail free card if my alt goes like it did on the last trip (also carrying a faulty spare,,, so DOH!!). We are planning on leaving again but only once the truck is ready. To do so i think i might need to shut the bonnet.

I will post some photos but I'm out for the next couple of days.

To cover off a few other points. The bonnet is squaddy'd and damaged but its a ding not bent.

The Airbox looks way lower than my Alt.

Thanks for all the pointers and help. More head scratching to do!

Have you got a picture? i'll try and get one tonight of mine 24v in a/c position. shouldn't be anywhere near bonnet...

The OE bracket is a flat plate with no tensioner, i.e four holes to bolt to timing cover then two at 90 degrees to take the A127 style 24v alternator.

The belt tensioning is done with an a/c idler and offset pulley in the injection pump timing hole. then uses a standard a/c belt

Take it you have downloaded a copy of http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=97407

Chapter 2-1-23 has the info you may find of interest

The bracket ERR5870 is the one i have, the glyn lewis one looks v.similar but uses an alt bracket strap for tensioning, which is lifting the alternator up.

I'd be tempted to lock it off at it's lowest adjustment and see if the bonnet will close, then if possible get the air con idler and bracket to do the tensioning. Which should mean you could use standard belts in the field.

Take it you have downloaded a copy of http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=97407

Chapter 2-1-23 has the info you may find of interest

The bracket ERR5870 is the one i have, the glyn lewis one looks v.similar but uses an alt bracket strap for tensioning, which is lifting the alternator up.

I'd be tempted to lock it off at it's lowest adjustment and see if the bonnet will close, then if possible get the air con idler and bracket to do the tensioning. Which should mean you could use standard belts in the field.

Thanks i google found that a bit ago.

The plan was to do just that, next. Maybe a shorter belt will sort it but as you say i need to see if even at the minimum it will close. Which i will do on Thursday when i'm back. I'll report back.