Anderson connector uses

Depends on the size of the connector and the location

I have a set of jump leads with an Anderson connector on the end, saves lifting the seat base to get to the battery. Mine is located just inside the rear door on the left (200tdi 90) People do look at you funnily when you reverse up to them to give a jump start.

I also use it to power the electric motor on my tipping trailer, and the winch on the plant trailer. The substantial gap under the rear door (thanks Land Rover!) means that I can get the door closed with the cable connected

I confess that in the past I did not fully appreciate the 'complexities' or 'flexibility' of these connectors. Even now, due to lack of regular use, in the design / specification sense, I may not have a complete grasp.

It took me some studying to realise that the 175A grey connector (almost considered universal) could hold electrical pins of differing size (read current / cable capacity).

While it seems reasonable to use full fat cable for the socket on the vehicle (because you don't know what some twit is going to plug in, under the guise of being helpful), when you come to fitting a physically matching plug on a portable piece of kit you don't need 50mm^2 cable to run a 'big' tyre compressor, or a small lft motor, to give just two examples.

If you use pins intended for 50mm^2 cable, but only fit 6mm^2 cable, there is a lot of space to fill with solder, or you end up with a very imperfect crimp, however good you think your cheap crimper is. Note that the pin to pin contact area is the same, it's the end the cable attaches to that is different.

In my experience, you are unlikely to get this detailed choice buying directly off ebay (or any other auction site).

My starting point reference link is http://www.torberry.co.uk/index.php

The other catchment area is when advertisers (and perhaps forum posters) refer to 6mm cable. Do they mean 6 square mm (6mm^2), or 6 mm diameter?

There is a big difference in current carrying capacity.

Regards.

Make up a set of jump leads with an Anderson connector on, you'll be glad you did! Other than that, could be a useful connector the 'other way' as it were, I.e. a means to connect a removable solar panel up. As has been mentioned above, winches and tippers on trailers are the other useful application.

If you use pins intended for 50mm^2 cable, but only fit 6mm^2 cable, there is a lot of space to fill with solder, or you end up with a very imperfect crimp, however good you think your cheap crimper is. Note that the pin to pin contact area is the same, it's the end the cable attaches to that is different.
In my experience, you are unlikely to get this detailed choice buying directly off ebay (or any other auction site).

Yes you can 'pins' for smaller cable cross-sectional areas, down to about 14 mm2 cable according to the datasheet (pdf). but if you need to run a smaller device, just crimp to an off-chop of correctly sized cable to the pin and splice it to a smaller cable? Heatshrink over it, will look tidy if done properly.

I've always used AWG....

See me afterwards boy...

Can also be useful as a safety / security cut off with removeable key - Connect a loop of wire between two contacts of one connector and put the other connector inline with the negative wire to the battery.

I wouldn't want to cast doubt on all auction sellers but the one I just looked at said it was suitable for 35mm cables.

Now I am no electrician but I know enough that I am not about to plug anything into something as big as an overhead powerline......... especially not my car lol