Drying out carpets

elbekko

Absolutely. The man's a (comedic) genius.

The sad news is the dehumidifier doesn't seem to be doing all that much. I've ran it for a few hours wednesday and yesterday, when I checked it wednesday evening it put maybe a few drops into the bucket...

I have some more time and daylight tomorrow, I'll see if I can get the carpets off the floor better and such.

27 minutes ago, GW8IZR said:

Hi

You may already have done this but have a read at the instructions, it might say something like leave it stood in its upright position switched off for 12 hours, then re start it.

The guy who rented it to me said that wasn't needed. Just put it upright and turn it on.

21 minutes ago, reb78 said:

I used a much smaller domestic dehumidifier in my 110 when it was wet in there and it got several litres out every 12 hours or so initially so I would have thought your industrial unit would have had some effect!

Yeah, I expected it to be doing a lot more. Didn't go out to the car to check yesterday when I turned it off though, it's sat on a floodplain that's currently wet, and that mud sticks something fierce...

Maybe it needs to be running for longer? So far it's been 3-4 hours each day.

The reservoir doesn't really matter I think, because the water needs to be in the air. The little bit that evaporates from the bucket shouldn't be an issue.

I just checked on it (busier day than planned), and it did seem to have pulled out a bit of moisture now. The driver's side carpet felt drier than before. I took some more things apart now so it can be lifted up further.
Also noticed the breaker on the extension cord had tripped, I guess from unplugging/plugging it in without turning off the loads. Will keep an eye on that too.

You do need to keep the thing running ;)  I stand by my comment as it is based on my own experience: In a small space such as a vehicle the unit will be frequently recirculating and warming the air and it is advantageous get the water drawn from the inside away to the outside. 

I have several dehumidifier units and they will all easily draw enough moisture to fill their integral tanks within 24 hours even at the standard setting.

• Like 1

It worked :D

I put the fan underneath the carpet so it was blowing air right at the wet spots. Then left it running for a day and a night on each side. It took out a few litres a side I think, the bottom of a 45L builder's bucket was nicely full of water.

Bringing it back tomorrow. I do wonder about my electric bill though :lol:

I leave mine (all be in a smaller one) in the caravan all winter and can't say I've noticed it on the electric bill. I set the %rh quite high though as I'm only trying to keep the edge off but the fan runs all the time.

Glad it worked anyway :)

I've had mine in the shed the last few days to dry some wood out that I want to make a gate out of. It's taken it a few days but it's done it. Great little machines :)

Certainly the first one I bought was very good at spinning the meter but I leant it to someone who had a burst pipe and they found it so handy I never saw it again, the new ones from Screwfix are much better. I think the autumn is here for good now so it they will be back in service shortly.