Headlight fluid

I don't know if it's a common problem or not but every time I go for a splash my headlights fill up with water. This is a pain especially when it(eventually) drains out as it leaves the grime behind making the bowl dirty and my headlights worse

my first thought is the sealed LED lights but there a lot of money to just try. Anyone on hear have them and Offroad with them? Alternatively what are people's tricks to keep the water out?

Thoughts?

Not sure on keeping water out? But some drill a hole in the bowl at the bottom (obviously) to aid  drainage.

On my 300Tdi  only a 5min. Job to remove headlight bowl and shove tissue paper in from the back to dry and clean..... bit of a faff i know but hey it works.....

Maybe look at sealed unit? But pricey when buld blows? Again if yoy seal it yourself you still need to be able to change the bulb when needed???

Not much help i know sorry

I' m sure an adult will be along shortly and advise correctly ;)

Same as Mutley really, not a lot of help but, ...each year I have to wade through winter floodwater and the bowls fill with water, despite Vaseline and then silicone on the bulb housing.  I drilled a 3 mm hole in the bottom of each lens to let the water out.  When needed I clean the bowl with tissue. 

Last winter I was in the carp when having to drive the flood in the dark and both bulbs blew when the cold water hit them half way through the flood.  Had to use a hand torch out of the window to see my way home for half a mile.  For this winter I’ve now got a light bar on the roof so no headlights on until I’m through the water....

140213 flood water 1.jpg

Part of me would suggest fitting old-style "Sealed Beam" headlights since these don't fill up.

The downside being that they actually put out so little light that after doing this modification you won't ever be able to drive at more than 40MPH during the hours of darkness.

when I used my 90 properly and it used to get wet I just had a set of sealed beam lamps, they were rubbish but never failed and would always provide enough light to get home, they didn't attract the attention of the traffic boys and would always pass an MOT. I used auxiliary lamps to provide the bright light but considered them as consumable.

Most of us have halogen lights, and the bulb doesn't seal in the back of the reflector bowl.  You could make up thin neoprene gaskets that would compress enough for the bulb retaining spring to still fit.  I'd not use any sealant as it'd make bulb replacement a bit of a pig, especially by the roadside.

Thanks for all the replies, I've had the bulb blowing issue already which is why I dont really want to drill holes. In an attempt to get around this I fitted some cree led bulbs which work very well but there is no way of sealing them at the back so they still fill up and the inside get dirty. 

I've been offered some proper sealed beam LED lights but I heard these fogged up. But then again, I heard it from some one who heard it, so there is no real evedence 

I had an LED work lamp on the back of my 90. They are supposedly sealed, that is to say reasonably weather tight. After two or three years the inside of the lens is distinctly foggy.

Wherever there is a heating and cooling cycle, especially present in headlights, moisture is drawn in and it condenses, eventually causing degradation of the reflector and lens fogging. Moisture always manages to get in, but getting it out again is always a problem.

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

Most of us have halogen lights, and the bulb doesn't seal in the back of the reflector bowl.  You could make up thin neoprene gaskets that would compress enough for the bulb retaining spring to still fit.  I'd not use any sealant as it'd make bulb replacement a bit of a pig, especially by the roadside.

No but the rubber cover supplied with the light units stops quite a bit of water entering

I think that rubber cup is more of a dirt shield than a waterproofing attempt, Mike.  I use them on both my vehicles, neither of which has waded deep anyway, but I wouldn't expect those rubbers to keep any water out of the headlights.  Like I said, I'd make a gasket out of neoprene and bond it to the head light bowl, covering all the holes and with as small an internal diameter as possible.  2mm neoprene should work well.  The lights will likely fog up eventually, but you could just remove the bulbs on a warm, dry day and let them breathe for a few hours before refitting.

Gaffa tape around the rubber to plastic bowl gap - after I flooded them wading in flood water earlier this year, just pulled them out and drained and wiped clean. I've never seen water in them out with the submergence.

Whats your definition of "splash" ? If you're doing a lot of deep water then I'd go for LED units straight off the bat.

I put some flat dog angel eyes in the black 90 and I've got to say I was rather impressed with them, looked smart too - no reports of moisture from the owner.

http://www.flatdoguk.com/search.asp?types=LIGHTING+>+Headlights

Thanks maverik, I have just ordered a set from flat dog, seem to have the best ip rating but I'm not sure about the angel eye bit.

It's not so much the water getting in that bothers me, as others have said; a simple hole at the bottom of the bowl would sort that. It's what the water is mixed with. 

As as you can see, it's not the clearest water we have locally

IMG_4652.JPGIMG_4653.JPG