Valve cap / cup ?

Hi guys

Been stripping the Def 200tdi engine today and noticed when I removed the rockers with shaft there was no valve caps / cups between the valves and rockers, now when I stripped the Disco 200tdi engine a while back there was cups / caps between the valves and rockers.

Is there a reason for this or is my Def engine missing these

Edited by Cornish Rattler

I'm pretty sure that they should be there to protect the rocker arm contact area. Certainly a quick internet search for 200TDI valve caps throws up loads of references and suggests they are fitted.

They cost very little so I don't think there's anything to lose.

Edited by Peaklander
Typos

Valve caps are used on 2.5 N/A, TD, and TDi engines. They are there to prevent damage to the top of the valve stem and rocker. Typically the valve stem will be hammered over, and there will also be a hole in the rocker pad. For the sake of about £8, you could be looking at new rockers and valves. If the tappet gaps are correct, then whoever set them was a complete idiot. :)

Les

Do not, under any circumstances use the ones from Paddocks.  Do not even use genuine ones.  They are all too soft and fail very quickly.  Many people have spent way too many hours finding out that the current genuine Land Rover branded caps are carp.

Turner Engineering ones are fine and any hardened caps that you can buy from VW race shops.

http://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/ljc100270-valve-cap-pkt-10-c2x20634592

(NOT current Land Rover caps which are incorrect material specification)

Trust me.  It is true.  Had a friend spend a year after a rebuild trying to find out why the caps were wearing out quickly.  After the aftermarket ones wore out, he changed to genuine and they wore out.  He thought something was completely wrong with the rebuild as genuine ones could not be bad....  Finally got some proper hardened ones (very common and easy to source as they are the same size as aircooled VWs) and no more problem.  Just look for 8mm valve caps.

$11 in the States.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-PRO-COMP-HARDENED-VALVE-STEM-LASH-CAPS-FOR-8mm-VALVES-SET-OF-8-EMPI-/401205610253?hash=item5d69b7c70d:g:yT8AAOSwFqJWlCtw  I'm sure there must be VW race shops in the UK....

On 11/30/2016 at 4:13 PM, Red90 said:

Do not, under any circumstances use the ones from Paddocks.  Do not even use genuine ones.  They are all too soft and fail very quickly.  Many people have spent way too many hours finding out that the current genuine Land Rover branded caps are carp.

Turner Engineering ones are fine and any hardened caps that you can buy from VW race shops.

http://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/ljc100270-valve-cap-pkt-10-c2x20634592

don't use land rover ones? what do we use? should i go back to land rover ask for my money back? ralph any ideas???

Edited by roverv8

• 4 years later...

Does the advice in this thread remain valid? Took the rocker shaft off the cylinder head today (see separate 300 TDi head gasket thread) and to say that the valve caps were knackered is a bit of an understatement:

IMG_4300-r.JPG.78b74997ed1f7ef3fae15bd7259f14fb.JPG

These came from Paddocks when I rebuilt the engine and replaced the head 18 months or so ago - the head came from Turners with valves, valve springs, spring caps, cotters, stem seals and spring seals but not the valve caps.

Has anyone got a part number and UK source for the VW ones mentioned?

• Sad 1