Greasing Props.. Not!.

Hi Guys,

Tried to grease the rear prop UJ today, the gun was under a lots of pressure so the grease wasn't getting to the places it should, I removed the nipple, pushing in the ball bearing and placed it directly in the gun, grease flowed through. Reinstalled the nlpple, marginally better, pushing black discoloured grease out of one of the bearing cups, the other three no luck...  

What to do next...?

Cheers,

db.

Take the bugger off! 

I was advised last MOT to replace the props as they were pretty corroded (25 years old!) but had given sterling service with the UJ's lasting 15 years each, greased every month without fail.

Put on two new props. Greased them every month. But the rear uj on the rear prop would not take grease very easily. I rotated the shaft, tried again, swapped out the nipple and tried again and it *seemed* to accept enough to keep it greased.

I was wrong.

Driving around over the last few months I've heard a metallic hollow 'ping' coming from the rear end. I thought it was the new exhaust hitting the chassis (slightly different bends on it from normal) but could not see where it might be doing it.

Anyway, on Wednesday this week driving back from a funeral 60 miles from home in well sub-zero temps, with the hearse and cortege behind me it started to shudder and growl then squeal at the back. Rear uj gone! I managed to get home with a lot of squealing under load but otherwise fine. Two new uj's being fitted and in future I will be taking the prop off and ensuring the grease goes in as it should!

I think you should do the same! Rolling about on the road in below freezing temps whilst wearing funeral attire is not recommended!

Fluid under pressure will always leak out at the place of least resistance Bleed it as best you can, take it for a drive, then try again. Use something decent, such as JCB Blue. The amount of effort in stripping a U/J, cleaning it and applying a different grease is just not worth it. Re-locating all those needle rollers would be an absolute nightmare. It would be quicker and considerably more time saving just to change the damn thing. :), so if one is sticky, then the effort to make it the same as the rest is almost impossible.

Les

• Like 1

You can get a good bit of pressure from a decent grease gun so if the nipple is okay then the UJ is probably shot if you can't get grease in.I'd replace them.Remember that too much grease can also be a bad thing in certain situations e.g hydraulic lock.

Doing it after a run helps I find, then the grease is a bit warmer. I grease mine on every oil change (6,000 miles) - or after work in wet/muddy conditions - and so I do the same thing to warm the engine oil so I find it works okay.

If I had a lift then I'd probably take the props off each time but frankly I hate removing the things lying on my back.

I have you tried upgrading your grease gun with a G Coupler? Although this an expensive upgrade to your grease gun, I swear by it as instead of the grease leaking from around the nipple the coupler makes sure it does not. 

https://www.gurtech.co.za/locknlube-grease-coupler/

I came across this as I was searching the well known internet shop for an air grease gun and saw this. I googled it and the reviews on the tractor by net forum persuaded me to give it a go and I don't regret it. However one thing to look out for, is that for £4 extra you can get it with spares kit instead of having to pay for that separately.  I have had mine only a couple of months so can't vouch for how long the seals last.

It comes in both M10 and 1/8th BSP so check your grease gun before ordering.

I will take a photo and post it up here when I get time.

Please note I have nothing to do with the company and am just a happy customer.

3 hours ago, soutie said:

I have you tried upgrading your grease gun with a G Coupler? Although this an expensive upgrade to your grease gun, I swear by it as instead of the grease leaking from around the nipple the coupler makes sure it does not. 

I came across this as I was searching the well known internet shop for an air grease gun and saw this. I googled it and the reviews on the tractor by net forum persuaded me to give it a go and I don't regret it. However one thing to look out for, is that for £4 extra you can get it with spares kit instead of having to pay for that separately.  I have had mine only a couple of months so can't vouch for how long the seals last.

It comes in both M10 and 1/8th BSP so check your grease gun before ordering.

I will take a photo and post it up here when I get time.

Please note I have nothing to do with the company and am just a happy customer.

Is that this one?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coupler-Lock--Clip-off-machine-Shipping/dp/B0133NDH6E/r    and what size is the standard LR nipple - 1/8th BSP?

EDIT: Rimmer shows this   http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-234532    as genuine LR - 1/8th UNF.  Are UNF and BSP grease gun nipple fittings compatible?

Edited by Jocklandjohn

Yes that is the one. Here is a more expansive list.

My understanding was the thread size referred to the connection on the grease gun side and not on the nipple side rather on the grease gun size, but I shall wait for a grown up to confirm or correct me.

One thing I have learnt is the Americans call the grease nipple a "Zerk". Not sure if it has anything to do with the word nipple - however it appears it is to do with invented them them. " The term "Zerk" comes from the name of the inventor, Oscar U. Zerk, an employee of the Alemite Corporation in the 1920s.

25 minutes ago, soutie said:

Yes that is the one. Here is a more expansive list.

My understanding was the thread size referred to the connection on the grease gun side and not on the nipple side rather on the grease gun size, but I shall wait for a grown up to confirm or correct me.

One thing I have learnt is the Americans call the grease nipple a "Zerk". Not sure if it has anything to do with the word nipple - however it appears it is to do with invented them them. " The term "Zerk" comes from the name of the inventor, Oscar U. Zerk, an employee of the Alemite Corporation in the 1920s.

Duh! Of course, it would be attachment thread rather than the delivery side! Looks like a good idea - I mean you go to all the bother of ensuring that the UJ's are greased so its nice to know the stuff is actually going into the spaces it should rather than (in my case) all around the outside (and up the chassis, exhaust, underside of tub, the ground etc)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, sorry for the late reply. 

The grease gun I have locks on very well, the grease does get pumped in, although it isn't coming out of all of the uj spiders, only a couple of them.. I'm going to take the props off and have a good look to see what occurring..

watch this space... well! best not cos I'll be awhile... :)