LPG reliability. The LEZ and future of diesel

smallfry

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

Can you bolt an LT77 to it ? ?

Something for a 2k budget would be good.

Mo

Might well be easier to adapt a type 9 or similar to an LT230...

They have made a showpiece formula ford with the 1.0l ecoboost, with sequential transmission, and 200bhp, imagine that :)

Just a point, these small turbo lumps are not incredibly reliable, they dont last the kind of milages tht I expect before going bang in a big way. When picking a second hand engine to consider for transplant some are pretty shot at just a few years old( I accept that opinions on how important that is may vary )

Petrol or Diesel?

I am beginning to come to the conclusion, that when you push engine design to get maximum power from small capacities, with forced induction, the technology just isn't there to hold it all together in one piece, quite yet.

Thanks Euro6(!)

We have also seen diesel starting to produce microscopic particulates that are far more damaging than 'old' diesels, which produce much larger versions -the smaller being much more damaging to lung health. My fear is now the modern high pressure turbo petrol engines will end up going the same way -looked at a small petrol engined turbocharged car exhaust recently? Yup... sooty, much more so than an old school NA car, or light pressure turbo.

Anyways, I digress...

I didn't want to be the prophet of doom but 50K from the small eco boost petrols seems to be 'good' and our rep hacks were seeing a couple of engines in that mileage.

As an aside the 2.0 litre 4cyl BMW 320d were doing 30mpg until the drivers gave up their fuel cards and now they see 70mpg. I anticipated seeing the maint expenditure for dpf and egr go up through the roof now but I've retired so I'll probably never know (or care)

Petrol... 

I've just ordered my new company car this morning. Benefit in kind goes up next year; and as the car is more of a work tool rather than a family necessity, I've opted to downgrade, take a payment back, reduce my tax and go for a petrol for the first time. I'm going Suzuki Swift 1.2 Dual jet. Thoughts are that if it break, then it's not my problem. Fuel consumption is good and seems almost true form the test drive. I claim back my business miles so I'm happy I can break even...  Only issue is I won't be able to carry so much carp in the car