OT: Container shipping

v8bertha

Anyone who is a shipping agent, raise there hands!! ;)

As the title says, is there anybody on here who knows about container shipping? Or can recommend an agent that will arrange shipping from Southampton?

Some of you will know that Jen and I have been planning a trip around North America... those that didn't know, you do now! :lol:

We need to get the camel shipping booked so that we can confirm arrival and departure dates. We have already decided that it will be going by container despite the additional cost and have had a couple quotes so far. But everything is a bit too hazy for my liking, I want to know whats gonna happen when we go to pick it up from the port in New york. When we book it up, will the company over here sort out the delivery of the container to an unloading area over there? What about Customs? Do we get a "Contact" in New York?

TBH, I'm not even sure I know what questions to ask :blink:

So if anyone on here knows the process and is willing to spend 10 mins typing it up and then answering the questions that I'm sure will be raised by the explanation, so I know what to expect when we get to America, that'd be a great help!

And I'll love you forever and ever, ah men! And we'll bring you back a statue of Liberty ornament! :lol:

Cheers

Dan

The Ex Vice chairman of the SAD LRC was in charge of every car that left Southampton Docks for the rest of the world.

A very nice chap called Dave Clark

Come on Dan know your conterparts :lol:

OR get hold of Ali I think Robinsons did it for him

I can fully understand your frustrations regarding this issue as it was the same for us when we shipped our 110 out to Southern Africa the first time in 2004. We were constantly told that everything would fall into place at the right time but of course we didn't really believe what we were told but BELIEVE ME it did happen and also the following year and I have no reason to believe that this year's adventure will be any different - so here goes :o

First of all look around for your shipping company (that was my biggest problem finding someone who didn't think we were mad) then when you have sorted out the charges which for the actual shipping will be in $ and only confirmed on the actual day of loading but will also include various other costs for handling, port charges etc decide the date of your shipment making sure you allow for possible delays if you have specific bookings over the pond.

Then you need to find a shipping agent. We use John Good who have offices in all the main ports (we use the Immingham office and ship directly from there)Your agent will do all the work for you once you give them dates etc.

You will also need an agent on the other side to look after the clearance over there. Your agent here could possibly give you a contact (ours gave us a few and we stuck a pin in and it was a good choice but of course Africa is a world of its own)

On leaving this country the customs should not be a problem but on the other side they will inspect the vehicle to check numbers etc and certify that everything in it is for your own use then sign the Carnet (more later) but of course they may also decide to empty the whole thing out in the yard as we saw happening last visit to some poor person and then of course the repacking is up to you :o After that you are free to drive off into the wide blue yonder providing of course you have the required road tax (I'm sorry but don't know any details re that in North america)

Now to the carnet (or car passport as we call it) This is needed so you do not have to pay export/import fees for your vehicle and also to ensure that it returns from whence it came otherwise said taxes are payable. You apply for this from the RAC Travel office in Bristol (If you need further details PM me)There is a fee payable for the number of pages you require which equates to the number of countries you are visiting. You will also be asked for a bond which can be paid in different ways - again to ensure said vehicle returns home. The easiest and less painful way to do this is by a bank gaurantee (Lloyds are the best bet(again fuller details by PM) or you can take out an insurance which costs an arm and a leg or put up 150% of the vehicle's value in CASH.

I hope all this hasn't put you off. When it all comes together you are embarking on a wonderful experience taking your own vehicle to a different country. We are now preparing the 110 for its 3rd trip and apart from telling Steve (our shipping agent )we will be going haven't really started on the journey planning yet.

Please PM us if you want any further help and we will get in touch

Margaret (using Mike's log in( cos I do all the office stuff!!!!!!

Wow Margaret, you really want that ornament, dontcha!! :lol:

Some superb advice in there, and more importantly some reassuring words... thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I'm kinda glad that the agents do all the sorting. Feels a bit like buying a house, you don't really know whats going on until your solicitor phones you to say you can move in :huh:

We've looked into Carnet requirements and everywhere we have asked have said that its not required for the good ole' US of A, so thats a relief :)

Kev, cheers, I'll have a browse "over there"... just don't tell anyone on here! :ph34r:

Jules... I thought Robinsons was a removals company? Sure I've got Mr Clarks phone number hidden in amongst the mound of ShireLRC contcat numbers... I'll give him a call :)

The next question is... do I replace the gearbox before we go? hmmmm.... it was only a bit of baulk ring that fell out... oh eck! I feel a call to Mr Ashcroft coming on!! :D

D :D

Anyone who is a shipping agent, raise there hands!! ;)

As the title says, is there anybody on here who knows about container shipping? Or can recommend an agent that will arrange shipping from Southampton?

Some of you will know that Jen and I have been planning a trip around North America... those that didn't know, you do now! :lol:

We need to get the camel shipping booked so that we can confirm arrival and departure dates. We have already decided that it will be going by container despite the additional cost and have had a couple quotes so far. But everything is a bit too hazy for my liking, I want to know whats gonna happen when we go to pick it up from the port in New york. When we book it up, will the company over here sort out the delivery of the container to an unloading area over there? What about Customs? Do we get a "Contact" in New York?

TBH, I'm not even sure I know what questions to ask :blink:

So if anyone on here knows the process and is willing to spend 10 mins typing it up and then answering the questions that I'm sure will be raised by the explanation, so I know what to expect when we get to America, that'd be a great help!

And I'll love you forever and ever, ah men! And we'll bring you back a statue of Liberty ornament! :lol:

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan

I should have thought when I was talking to you and Steve in Brookies last friday.......

I'm related to the chairman of P and O containers and Soton Container Terminal......I have just made a call to someone who is going to try and find out a bit for you, recommend an agent, find out if it can be done direct etc etc.

I'll keep you posted when/if I find anything out :rolleyes:

James

as in green 110

Hi Dan

I should have thought when I was talking to you and Steve in Brookies last friday.......

I'm related to the chairman of P and O containers and Soton Container Terminal......I have just made a call to someone who is going to try and find out a bit for you, recommend an agent, find out if it can be done direct etc etc.

James

as in green 110

James.... I think I love you!! :blush: Anything you can find out would be fantastic, no matter how small.

Fridge... why do you always have to be so flippin sensible and right all the time... you're just like Jen, but without the boobs! :lol:

Margaret, thanks sooooooooo much for your reply... so many people have just given us funny looks or lauched into horror stories :o:( It's good to hear some good news!! :D We have found a couple of shipping agents who seem to offer what you recommend, but they're all based in Felixstowe, hense the search for some more advice or a company in Southampton. This does seem to be the last major step and once this is sorted I'll be able to start geting properly excited! :lol:

I have to ask - where's the next trip for your 110 then? Have the previous 2 been Africa? ...so much world so little time :rolleyes::D

...I just can't wait to get to Canada... B)

Oh, and James, I love you too! :D

[ being very grown up and ignoring the comment about my boobs ] ;):D

Margaret, thanks sooooooooo much for your reply... so many people have just given us funny looks or lauched into horror stories :o:( It's good to hear some good news!! :D We have found a couple of shipping agents who seem to offer what you recommend, but they're all based in Felixstowe, hense the search for some more advice or a company in Southampton. This does seem to be the last major step and once this is sorted I'll be able to start geting properly excited! :lol:

I have to ask - where's the next trip for your 110 then? Have the previous 2 been Africa? ...so much world so little time :rolleyes::D

As jules said speak to Dave Clark (he is a memeber of shires , in fact been a memeber for about 10 years , But was the ex vice chairman and founder of SAD's). He does all the roll on roll off Land Rover stuff from Southampton. Cheaper than container. The only reason i did not do it was beacuse they will stop at dogy contrys between the uk and Aus and some of the stuff on the car might go missing . But between the uk and USA will be no problem. As they will not be stopping every 5 mins. There are two differnat prices for roro and that is under 2m in height and over 2m in height. Over 2m is more expensive as they have to go ona differant deck.

Give him a shout really nice chap and will be really helpfull to you .

Guest WALFY

Jen

I was in Alberta last year for 6 mths. We had 10 days off in that time and took 6 days in 1 shot and drove from Medicine Hat to Vancouver. Apart from comfort breaks ( out the car do the business get in car) and fuel it was a straight 15 hr drive. We totaly under estimated the size of Canada.

When Jo (swmbo) came over for 2 weeks we did the same journey but a bit less rushed. Great 2 weeks saw a lot more. Spent 3-4 days in Vancouver. Saw all the touristy things. If you need any info for Vancouver give me a shout.

If you go to Vancouver Iron Goat the company who made the dash that Scrapiron sell are there. Very nice people, I got my dash there for less than 1/2 what Scrapiron are selling it for. But they do know of loads of laning in the Rockies, ( hundreds of km's)if you want their details then again drop me a line.

Hi Dan

James

as in green 110

That was the worst company we tried to deal with when we were planning our first trip.

They asked Margaret if she was serious. Were still waiting for a reply. The most unhelpful company of the year for us.

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

Hi Ali :) Yeah, we initally looked at Ro-ro... but the car needs to be empty for anyone to ship it apparently, this has been said by everyone we have spoken to. People tell stories about turning up with a fully loaded car and telling the shippers to 'take it or you won't get our money' but frankly with 4 1/2 months for our trip I'm not prepared to take that risk, I don't want to spend the first month reorganising shipping. It'll be obvious theres things in it as there'll be bikes on the back etc... and besides, with a week in New York planned in the post-thanksgiving sales I'll need a container ;):D (and the Camel measures 2m 40cm at its highest point) Thanks for the tip though, will pass that onto Dan.

Walfy... wow. That sounds superb B) Canada has been my dream since I was about 5! (as Bish will confirm as I go on and on at him about it everytime we see him! :blush: ) We're not sticking to ridgely to a timescale so I'm hoping to spend as much time there and in California doing route 101 as we like. The plan at the moment is to drive up through the rockies via Banff, Jasper etc. to Alaska (via head-smashed-in-bison-jump, which we just have to visit :lol: ) and then back down to Vancouver, so any info you have would be more than gratefully recieved, ( s2jen@yahoo.com, jen.rees@ntlworld.com or we'll be at Gaydon/Eastnor :) ) we have 1000's of guide books and things, but they're never as good as real experiences. I figured on that sort of driving time, we worked out milages and I think we're looking at 3,500 for that part of the trip alone.

...isn't it always the last thing to organise that's the most annoying?! :rolleyes:

Me? Talk about Canada? Never!! :lol:

If Canada is your goal, why not ship to Montreal? We shipped a 40' container back from there to Dublin and it was completely hassle free. RR and household stuff in the container.

I'll see if I can find the agent we used as they just took our money and sorted everything.......

Thanks Ali and Thanks Bish will check both of them out :)

If Canada is your goal, why not ship to Montreal?

....but then I'd miss the Ben and Jerry's factory... :ph34r::blush:Mmmm... Seriously, the route is flexible and we're open to options. Just got to bear in mind that the end of the trip will be December, so wherever we are we'll be camping up until then.

Thanks Ali and Thanks Bish will check both of them out :)

....but then I'd miss the Ben and Jerry's factory... :ph34r::blush:Mmmm... Seriously, the route is flexible and we're open to options. Just got to bear in mind that the end of the trip will be December, so wherever we are we'll be camping up until then.

Yes Jen so is our route.

We should be a bit warmer than you in December though although it could be wet as the rains should start in November. It'll still be 30+ Degrees though.

We hope to be away six months.

mike

Guest WALFY
Hi Ali :) Yeah, we initally looked at Ro-ro... but the car needs to be empty for anyone to ship it apparently, this has been said by everyone we have spoken to. People tell stories about turning up with a fully loaded car and telling the shippers to 'take it or you won't get our money' but frankly with 4 1/2 months for our trip I'm not prepared to take that risk, I don't want to spend the first month reorganising shipping. It'll be obvious theres things in it as there'll be bikes on the back etc... and besides, with a week in New York planned in the post-thanksgiving sales I'll need a container ;):D (and the Camel measures 2m 40cm at its highest point) Thanks for the tip though, will pass that onto Dan.

Walfy... wow. That sounds superb B) Canada has been my dream since I was about 5! (as Bish will confirm as I go on and on at him about it everytime we see him! :blush: ) We're not sticking to ridgely to a timescale so I'm hoping to spend as much time there and in California doing route 101 as we like. The plan at the moment is to drive up through the rockies via Banff, Jasper etc. to Alaska (via head-smashed-in-bison-jump, which we just have to visit :lol: ) and then back down to Vancouver, so any info you have would be more than gratefully recieved, ( s2jen@yahoo.com, jen.rees@ntlworld.com or we'll be at Gaydon/Eastnor :) ) we have 1000's of guide books and things, but they're never as good as real experiences. I figured on that sort of driving time, we worked out milages and I think we're looking at 3,500 for that part of the trip alone.

...isn't it always the last thing to organise that's the most annoying?! :rolleyes:

Jen

Will put a few thoughts down on paper and then e-mail you the relevant stuff. May take a couple of days.

I haven't shipped any cars from the UK to the US, but I've done loads the other way and always use Kingstown Shipping. They are very highly regarded in American car circles (my other hobby!) and I recommend that you at least have a word with them before choosing a shipper.

Between two of my friends and I, we've used Kingstown to ship 18 cars (16 from the US, one from Canada and one from Australia), all in containers, and have had no problems.

http://www.kingstown-shipping.co.uk/contact.htm

As others have said, don't bother with roll-on roll-off because they won't allow cars containing any items to be shipped. Then when you send your empty car for shipment it'll be stripped bare en-route in a 'Longleat monkeys' style operation. I've yet to speak to anyone who has shipped roll-on roll-off where there hasn't been theft or damage to the car.

:)

Jen

Have a look at www.REEDX.net. Our first trip report in on there in travels.

Look at http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=358612.0

To see what we're up to now.

I notice that you say the height is 2.4 metres. Just check that the contaner has that height in the doorway.

mike

I haven't shipped any cars from the UK to the US, but I've done loads the other way and always use Kingstown Shipping. They are very highly regarded in American car circles (my other hobby!) and I recommend that you at least have a word with them before choosing a shipper.

Between two of my friends and I, we've used Kingstown to ship 18 cars (16 from the US, one from Canada and one from Australia), all in containers, and have had no problems.

http://www.kingstown-shipping.co.uk/contact.htm

As others have said, don't bother with roll-on roll-off because they won't allow cars containing any items to be shipped. Then when you send your empty car for shipment it'll be stripped bare en-route in a 'Longleat monkeys' style operation. I've yet to speak to anyone who has shipped roll-on roll-off where there hasn't been theft or damage to the car.

:)

I'll add another vote for Kingstown, I've used them in the past and found the service very good. But I'm one of the apparently rare breed who have used RoRo and not sustained any damage or loss to the vehicle.

Walfy - thanks :) No hurry of course, we apprieciate you offering B)

Thanks for the contacts 92.9, we're putting together a good list of people to check out now (I love this website). Good job Dan's got a day off to sort it on tuesday! :D

Just check that the contaner has that height in the doorway.

Yup, the containers have a 2.2 (or something like that) height in the doorway. It's just our jerrycan holders that reach 2.4m, so we've been told if you reverse in it'll fit ok, after all, most the Camels were shipped by container so they must have fitted somehow! We'll have the spare wheels on with less air in the tyres and ratchet straps from Chassis to axle to aid the operation and prevent it moving around too much whilst in there anyway. Gonna be 'interesting'. :ph34r: