Whats compatible from Disco 1 to Defender 90

africanpete

Hello

So I picked up a 1995 Discovery 3.9 V8 Automatic to drive around while I finish buggering around on my D2.

The old cogs in my head started clunking over, as they do, and I now want a 90 (well I've always wanted one) and I'm thinking of building one from scratch on a galvanised chassis etc. etc. and want to use the Disco as a doner vehicle.

I know the engine and box will go in ok but I'm not sure about the axles, anyone know if they will fit?

Also, is there anything else that will fit, steering, cooling, wiring etc. I will sell the body and chassis as they are in surprisingly good condition, it's a Jap import and was fully waxoyled even in the engine bay, it's a person I'm not that keen on to clean off.

Any help much appreciated.

Peter

disco rad can be made to fit, have a google on the site for disco into 90...

ahh, a thought before I hit the post button.....3.9 v8 rad..different to TDi rad.... have a google, if you type in your seach and then put site:lr4x4.com at the end it'll show anything on the site :)

I'm fairly certain every part of the suspension is the same. On the negative side the gearboxes are not as far.

If the body and chassis are good on the Disco would you not be better off selling it with a years ticket and buying a scrapper. Since decent Discos are fetching good money I would have thought you would benefit from doing so.

[Hijack mode on]

Sorry for the mini hijack here, but whilst we are on the subject- I have a B-reg 90 that needs a new front axle, if I pickup a Disco axle will I need the hockey sticks too? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they are a different width at the axle end on later models... can anyone confirm?

Cheers

[/Hijack mode off]

If the body and chassis are good on the Disco would you not be better off selling it with a years ticket and buying a scrapper. Since decent Discos are fetching good money I would have thought you would benefit from doing so.

thats a good idea! :i-m_so_happy: rotten disco's are 2 a penny. :)

to help with the list. the Land Rover badge is also transferable, maybe with some bluetack :P ;)

so now you can transferee:

axles

engine+box

suspension

steering box

oil leaks and dodge noises

so the only things really left is the props and rad, there isn't much else that i can think of? <_<

I don't actually know on an auto but on the manual boxes the Disco gear levers come up where the seat box is, presumably an auto would have the same problem. I would imagine you could work round it and have the gear change in place of a middle seat.

Autos fit no problem without a different bell housing, remember the main gear shift is cable operated anyway so you can mount it anywhere, within reason. Having said that, the most comfortable place for it IMV is immediately at the side of the driver's seat towards the front. The standard auto/LT230 mechanical difflock/ratio gearstick pops up through the hole in the Defender gearbox tunnel.

• 4 weeks later...