Jate Rings

Glue

Morning all,

Hopefully I'll be picking up my new beasty this weekend, and then the fun of sorting it out starts. One of the jobs I've got to sort out are the front end recovery points. At present there's nothing, so I'm intending to fit a pair of jate rings. Looking round there seem to be a lot of people making them, at wildly differing prices (£15 a pair to £35 each!), so who's good and who's not? Should I avoid anybody, or who's doing reasonable prices for them at the moment.

Answers on a postcard...

Glue

Fridge use the genuine LR cast ones, IIRC RRC3237, But they won't fit a Series vehicle, only 90/110 & Defenders have them, Series trucks were heli lifted with chains around the spring hangers.

Edited by western

Fridge use the genuine LR cast ones, IIRC RRC3237, But they won't fit a Series vehicle, only 90/110 & Defenders have them, Series trucks were heli lifted with chains around the spring hangers.

So what are the cast eyes that military nerds have bolted to the bumper bolts of series? The ones that are much abused as recovery eyes?

Chris

So what are the cast eyes that military nerds have bolted to the bumper bolts of series? The ones that are much abused as recovery eyes?

Chris

there not JATE rings, the bumper mounted eyes/rings are for lifting onto trucks/ships not for underslinging below helicopters. & are also standard LR genuine parts.

no idea about forged cast or anything else i'm afraid.

but whaever you do stay away from cheapo welded ones- when i first started off roading a few years ago, i bought a set, and the very first time i took the vehicle out (and got stuck of course) one let go with a hell of a bang (and we weren't using a blanket!). I almost gave up off roading there and then.

thought you had given up offroading Jim!

value for money are JATE rings, bling one David Bowyer i guess, his are machined so that the rod you pull off (!) is stepped down into the arms and then welded.

i have seen other that are jsut rods with arms welded to the ends, i would stay clear of these.

Genuine JATE rings, secondhand military ones were about £6 each at Billing, boxes full of them bought 4 myself, maybe wait a week a week till the LRO show, bound to be there aswell, genuine ones are very expensive new.

Guest diesel_jim

In case anyone wondered, the JATE stands for Joint Air Transport Establishment.

they are the department in charge of "how to airlift heavy green stuff with wheels/tracks" B)

I'm with Ralph on this, only use the genuine Land Rover ones.

After seeing military 90's and 110's recovered and lifted on them, you wouldn't want to take a chance on fabricated ones.

Ralph is correct, the Land Rover part number is RRC3237

JATE%20Rings.jpg

Genuine ones have RRC3237 in raised letters/numbers on the ring -

Britpart copies are identical, except for this (and we all know how 'good' some Britparts are, don't we :lol: )

DSC09362.jpg

There is also a genuine parts widened version, part number ZXC9435

This is 97mm across the throat, compared to 85mm on RRC3237 -

DSC09343.jpg

If you want lifting/towing rings on your bumper mounts, again I would only use the genuine ones and limit their use to towing on the road as they're not really up to recovery or lifting forces, even though Land Rover describe them as 'lifting/towing rings'.

There are two types - one for Series and one for Defender. But there's no reason why you couldn't use either type on either vehicle.

The Defender type is part number NRC9011 and looks like this -

Img_0685.jpg

The Series type is part number 242139 singly, or 267950 as a pair -

SIII_Tow_Adaptor.jpg

There's a lot of very nasty looking copies of the Series type around and I personally would avoid them.

Paul.

I wouldn't touch some of the garbage welded up ones. As it happens I don't use them at all, but that is only because the winch mount/steering guard doesn't allow it on my 90.

You might well ask though, if you are putting a lot of load through them, is it sensible even using 2 and a bridle - bearing in mind that even using both sides you only have 2 x M10 bolts taking all the load... :huh: