Defender 200 tdi hybrid turbo

Hi all, on my rebuild project I'm planning on upgrading the turbo to either a hybrid or vnt unit, and while browsing ebay I came across these for sale from a firm called Turbo Rebuild LTD in lancs ( link below). There listed as a UPGRADED STAGE 1 HYBRID TURBO CHRA CARTRIDGE KIT FOR A DEFENDER OR DISCOVERY 200 TDI at £225 which is a lot cheaper than the full upgrade units. Is this a purchase that the more experienced members on here would recommend or would the advice be to leave this sort of job to the turbo experts ? Or has anyone on here done this upgrade on there own turbo and could offer any advise ?

cheers all Ian

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uprated-Hybrid-ST1-Turbo-CHRA-465171-465175-Land-Rover-Defender-Discovery-200tdi-/321875737193?hash=item4af149fa69:g:eKIAAOSw9r1WBTKZ

That is fine. Note that the upgraded parts are the bearing and seals, not the turbo itself. Standard bearings and seals should be fine for most people.

It is not too hard to install a cartridge.

What is your reason for changing? If you just have a bad bearing or seal, they are easy enough to change.

ive seen there pop on fb recently. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDROVER-DISCOVERY-200TDi-T28-HYBRID-TURBO/171994757596?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D1e5d1c0b7064413b821dff1e0ed2582a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D181681006599

i think if they havnt already have them for sale for defender, they will soon be, buy many options for turbo upgade, weather 360 bearings or ball bearings for quick spool, different turbines etc then vvt/vnt but there still £1100.... many other vnts fit but controling them reliably without it surging/over boosting is the issue.

My understanding is that a hybrid turbo consists of a different set of either compressor or turbine wheels, set up to alter the maximum flow and spool up characteristics from the standard "ok for everything not perfect for anything" turbo.

There are a few different ones out there so research is a must!

Cheers all, contacted them and think Red90 is right its not a hybrid its just got uprated bearings and seals . But contacted NKK via there web page and got a response they sell an uprated T28 core modified cold side housing and uprated actuator for a 200 tdi that you can bolt on yourself for £380 which is reasonable so gonna look into that

cheers Ian