ibex 300 build

I had the same with the photobucket folders. change the address for them ..

htp://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/miketomcat/IMAG0898.jpg

to

htp://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/miketomcat/***FOLDER***/IMAG0898.jpg

just cut and paste the /***FOLDER*** bit with the folder name in the right place for each. easier than re pasting all the links

• 2 weeks later...

I've done the disc conversion on the Salisbury now I thought I had all the right parts it turns out I did but not the parts I was planning to use. I had some early 110 front hubs and discs (discs were past there best) plus some spacers from western. So strip drums off loosely fit hubs check if spacers are right all good so far then I think great that all works but I have some new discs and another set of hubs I know I'll use them. At this point I fit the other discs/hubs only to realize I now don't need the spacer great I'd rather not have it anyway. All I need to do is nut up the wheel bearings but no that's way to easy now it appears the stub axle is to long so nut bottoms out bugger. Plan C use new discs, no spacer, early hubs (i now know are wider), original stub axles and yes it all works now I can paint the dam thing..

IMAG0998.thumb.jpg.4aa69187045594e5b36bba59802736a0.jpg

Now I can get the tank and guard fitted.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

Why on a PM? It's been well covered - I suspect people just get confused because there are so many threads on here asking different variations of the same question. Bottom line: The only fool-proof way to do it: Get the LR Parts catalogue and open it on the page where it shows the Salisbury Disc-braked variant, and source all the parts listed. The hubs are the same as 300 Tdi Disco rears, which are quite easy to source. Just don't do what I did: paint/re-furb the wrong hubs and wonder why they don't fit!

On the other hand...perhaps we're dragging Mike's build thread off-topic. I'll get back in my box... :rtfm:

Cracking build Mike. Your dash-moulding looks better than LR's effort! If you needed to top your finances up, bet you could sell a few of those!

Matt

Dave, on my '89 110's rear Salisbury drum to disc cpnversion, I retained the original stub axles, used 110 front hubs,110 rear calipers, 110 front disc FRC7329 I had to get 2 10mm thick spacers made to fit the caliper brackets/caliper so disc runs in the centre of caliper.

my conversion in http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=60726&hl= but you've probably read it already.

Mike -- New Ibex build is looking superb. looking forward to seeing it complete & on the road.

Dave happy to chat when I see you and here is a list of the parts I used they worked for me:-

The hubs I used were 200tdi 110 front, discs were Ftc1381(not sure of fitment), stubs are drum (existing), Salisbury bolt on caliper brackets (no spacer) and 110 rear calipers.

Nigel the towing/recovery points are a modified 110 tank guard with removable tow bar.

IMAG0878.jpg.57895ba88eda04a17e46eb2f62cb73c5.jpg

The removable part looks a bit like the one I made for the tomcat.

towbar007.JPG.cd5ce7fe6255ce2f70ba3a278c55d4d9.JPG

You get the idea.

P.S. Dave don't worry it's getting a 200tdi for now I may change later in it's life but that will be when I can't get 200tdi parts any more.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

Ralph - I did read it, thank you; and shall again

Mike, thank you - interesting about negating the need for a spacer... And thank you for the reassurance about the 200Tdi. When you are down, we can talk Merc 6 cylinder multivalve turbo with manual injector pump. We have a test one down here (project airboat); as well as a NA version. Worth a look at for the future. Also have the non electricary version of the 2.9 sprinter lump - very nice. It's a well known fact that electrics are evil and should be kept away from proper internal combustion engines

Also have the non electricary version of the 2.9 sprinter lump - very nice.

Is this a six cylinder?,... (sorry for perpetuating the 'off-topic Mike,... nice build)

It's a well known fact that electrics are evil and should be kept away from proper internal combustion engines

+1 :)

In the old days, we used to call Mike; "Mr Off Topic", so it will be fine

The sprinter 2.9 is a five cylinder, based on what was the old 300GD lump in the G. But in the Ssangyoung Musso and Korando in came as a non electricary lump. Also as used in some of the Sprinter 4x4's where nasty electricary was verboten...

The Ssangyoung vehicles rust so fast you can hear it but the lumps are all Merc, from a time before the counters of beans took over the management of a great company. The conversion is much loved by the older G movement as the 300GD (non turbo) is a mere 88bhp on a good day.

The in line 6 multivalve 3.0ltr is very much a beast of different spots - with 350bhp being achievable with few mods to the Turbo. Black Smoke Drifting have achieved over twice that with reliability. The NA version is a sweetie - from 90bhp to 124bhp and will run on rape seed oil all day

The dash has a box moulded into the back much like the standard dash so reuses standard vent bits and the grey plastic bit. The only bit I don't have is a flap inside to direct from screen to feet but you could do something if you felt the need never bothered on 45 the flow seems to be better anyway.

2009_02190085.JPG.9ee5535903b04b6085671c277a7282ac.JPG

2009_02190078.JPG.9c31212e710d270d35691a7f06093738.JPG

As fitted in 45 the ibex doesn't need the grey bit as it doesn't have flaps I'm also planning to use modified disco wipers so my ducting to the vents will be different.

Dave the merc lump sounds good but as with all the suggestions I've had my worry is sorting a gearbox that doesn't go terminal at anything over 120hp.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

Mike,

Drivers break gearboxes, not engines... I would still stick with the 200Tdi until bits are no longer available. The MB conversion is for later on - 10 years down the line maybe. This Ibex is going to be a family heirloom

I do like that dash by the way - very much indeed. I have pictures of the Tom Sheppard designed dash, in his old 90 if you are ever interested

Drivers break gearboxes, not engines... I would still stick with the 200Tdi until bits are no longer available. The MB conversion is for later on - 10 years down the line maybe.

Oh, and you were doing so well too, you hadn't posted complete nonsense for some time. Driving style can indeed influence the lifespan of a gearbox, however it is down to basic physics and engineering whether a specific gearbox will survive behind a given engine or not. There is a wealth of information out there, some basic research will reveal what other people are using and what has been tried and tested.

I will not for one second dispute that the 200tdi is a very good, reliable and simple lump - and that it will indeed do the job. However, it is a little antiquated now and IMHO somewhat lacking in power for this application. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that it will have to do the job because that's what's lying about, but I wouldn't be sticking with it long term. The merc conversion (in its various guises) is a good option, I've seen many comp trucks running it in Europe and its can be made into a very simple (entirely mechanical) and very powerful (250bhp) unit indeed. However, you need to move out of the Dark Ages Dave and finally admit that the Td5 is not the anti-christ. It too can be made into a very simple, reliable and more than adequately powerful lump. There are a significant number of these engines out there with 250k+ miles on them, and literally 1000's with 100k+ miles, surely this proves their worth? Add in the number being used successfully in top flight competition trucks and this only strengthens the argument. Please understand that I do not view them as the be all and end all of engines, but I do occasionally feel the need to stand up for them in the face of abuse from those stuck firmly in the past.

I had no intention to write as much as I have, maybe I'm just having a bad day, but I couldn't help myself. Awesome build Mike, we've spoken about it a lot anyway, as ever if there's anything I can help with just shout.

Ross

Hi Lewis - yup read that thread... To be honest I've been ignoring most of what Dan writes for years; sort of like a filter for Dirty Diesel. Get the good bits leave the rest - bless him

We are not using the 603 pump. If it all works then I will disclose which pump - if it doesn't no one misses out.

As Mike is aware the test engine is intended for an airboat; if that fails then we'll go for a very quick G

It's an early stages project with no budget

So we have the engine, some steel, some life jackets and a bunch of idiots, a prop and some marine ply

We are now looking for the roof off a Transit Hi Top - top quality glass fibre

When you are surrounded by water you start to get silly ideas and the man with the workshop spent time in the Everglades

I'm happy to put an outboard on the Argocat