ByCamelToVietnam

Defender 200tdi - Wont Start!

20 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Having some very annoying starting issues at the moment.

Problem: - Turn the key to start = Click (Lights come on as they should on the dash) - No turn/noise from the starter motor

Recent changes:

- Replaced clutch master, slave and hose

- Have a history of 3 starters in about 3 years.

What i've done since:

- Taken starter motor out and cleaned and replaced solenoid (note top left SM thread onto engine has gone, so replaced with M6 until I remove the engine at some pint to rethread)

- Cleaned all earths and connections

- Tested SM bridging the live solenoid directly to the motor connection = starter spins but does not engage to start her up.

Has been going on for over a week now and cant find a solution. Now very frustrating!

Cheers Ben

Is the battery nice and strong? Doesn't take much for there to be not enough power to throw the gear into the ring gear.....

Been alternating between 2 battery's one v new and charging in between. Have just tested motor out of the truck and works as it should and kicks hard. Leaves me thinking it's the wiring from the battery to the solenoid...?

Someone has used it as a feed..... discard and sleeve/wrap the wire......

if the starter works not in the truck. Put a jump lead from battery negative to the bolt holding the starter on and try again. .....

Oh dear, a Bodgelok!

Mo

perhaps we should add 'Bodgelok' to the swear filter, wonder what it would be replaced with

May also be worth looking at the ignition switch in the steering column behind the key, we had a similar problem with a V8 that turned out to be the connections in the ignition pack (Part no PRC8230 for a 200 Tdi)

I'll second Jeff's comment I also had a starting problem turned out to be the ignition switch.

Mike

Well simply putting the unit in after testing it and its working yay.. very odd considering ive put it in several times and on this occasion it works?

However, there's still the same problem which i was hoping to eradicate which is the slow start. When i turn the key it just seems a bit sluggish, not as instant as it use to be.

Any tips on how to improve this? I have cleaned all the earths but maybe worth trying again!

Thanks in advance

Try the jump lead idea. ... possibly worth adding another earth direct to the starter bolt!

Ive cleaned the battery connections etc.. = didnt make it start any faster, now the dreaded grinding on startup has started again!

Also tried running a direct earth from starter to negative on the battery ( was fairly low amp wire?) = same again, still slow.

Am going to go for a drive to charge the battery up as 5 startups is starting to drain the battery. Will try the direct jump leads from starter to battery after!

thanks for the suggestions, hopefully ill find this nagging fault!

you should have 2 main earth cables

see photo's below

1 from battery -ve to transfer box/main gearbox joint

1 from alternator/PAS pump bracket to chassis part of left engine mount.

post-20-0-76336300-1437228471_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-90878500-1437228479_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-32425700-1437228482_thumb.jpg

I have found with two different 300tdi defenders now that the crimped / soldered terminals on the earth cable has come adrift and only partially makes contact causing poor starting. I would replace the cables with fresh cables and terminals.