reversing camera kit

western

any of you guys/girls got one of these or similar on your 90/110/130. ?

just bought this kit via ebay 150899854961 intending to fit the camera above the rear door & mirror either clipped over existing or to replace the existing mirror, can't do anymore until the kit arrives.

I fancy a reversing camera in my Discovery II, but I'm holding out for a 'Metropolis' overhead console to mount the screen into.

So, I will be keen to see how you get on with this one.

Like a lot of these kits on eBay, the description is in 'Chinglish'.

I particularly like the fact that it's "free from scratching and alcoholic erosion" :lol:

Yep, Ive got a similar one the screen clips over the rear view mirror.

Ive got the camera mounted over the top of the door on an ali bracket I made up to increase the angle down.

I might move it though, as I cant see the nato jaw over the spare on the door.

Really easy to fit and wire up as mine was wireless so no wire to run the length of the vehicle.

Camera and radio takes power from the reverse light and a convenient good earth point.

Screen and radio receiver plugged into a lighter socket at the moment but I plan to plumb it in properly at some point.

Really worth fitting as they are so cheap now.

Im tempted to buy another camera and radio set as the screen takes two inputs.

Then I could have one to attach to the trailer as well.

Maybe on a magnetic mount or sucker so I can use it anywhere there is a convenient power source or battery.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, I'll finally decide where the camera fits once the kit is here, Yes Paul the chinglish is always a laugh to read :lol:

hopefully add some photo's to this story.

the kit I've bought was 20 quid less than the same kit I was watching but from a different seller.

Wireless set ups are fairly good, but do suffer from outside interferance from Baby monitors and wireless cctv. I used to pick up very clear pictures from my local VW dealers showroom.

I have fitted dozens of camera set ups in the course of my work including wireless, mirror mounted, twin screen/camera systems of all manufacture and nationality. My personal choice is a 7" monitor (stand mounted) with three switchable cameras 1. to rear view. 1 viewing the tow hitch and 1 viewing the winch. The system is a mix and match set up all sourced separately. The current screen is the clearest to date and made in China.

Everything is hard wired because there is too much interferance from a Landy cab. I find the same with Motorhomes and is probably due to little or no screening. Wireless seems to work ok in steel bodied camper vans.

I'd be interested in how much of a "mirror" the mirror is when not a monitor. I asked the seller and got this reply

"It really look like a mirror, but our some customer tell us that ,it is not really mirror. So we do not know the standard of you. The normally mirror is more clear than it."

So when it arrives, please let me know how good a "mirror" it is!

I'm thinking of using it on the wife's Volvo estate (saves using the bumpers as parking sensors!)

Cheers

Peter

I got a reversing carmea off ebay and wired up to a screen in my muddash. It's a good picture. I find the camera takes some getting used too. I think it has a slight fish bowl effect that makes judging things to the side more difficult. First time I used it I was much closer to a porche than I thought.

Very interesting thread so far, I hadn’t realised how affordable these had become…any chance of some pictures of your installs please ladies and gents, especially Rovernut and Mad_Pete (mud dash install, sounds very smart).

My interest comes from the fact I have a floor-to-roof bulkhead behind the rear passenger seats in my 110 build, so wouldn’t have an interior mirror anyway. Was going to fit larger (LDV) mirrors, but these kits raise the possibility of having an internal ‘3rd’ mirror again – the only problem I forsee is at night you’d need to dim the screen?

Will try to take some photos of the install this week.

If you opt for a mid price range kit, it will usually come with a control box (camera interface) that is pre wired with auto reverse switch wire and dimmer wire to connect to the vehicle lighting circuit.

If you start off with one camera and your screen is capable of taking more cameras, you can add at any time provided you know what cable terminations are fitted.

I have that monitor/mirror on mine, it works fine as a mirror and is more intuitive to use as a monitor than a dash mounted one.

The Defender mirror hangs too low to clip the monitor to so I made a bracket that's screwed to the original points which puts the monitor just below the top of the screen.

Didn't bother wiring the system to the reversing light as it only takes a tap on the screen to turn it on. Brother in law has the same on his 130 and leaves it on all the time when towing as a rear view mirror, has a top quality camera fitted though. The camera in that kit won't be the best, you want a CCD camera for a decent picture.

Got mine from here - http://shop.reversin...ts/"M705W5 120"