Oh whoops!

FridgeFreezer

Web_IMG_1665.jpg

Web_IMG_1668.jpg

Web_IMG_1672.jpg

Web_IMG_1673.jpg

Web_IMG_1674.jpg

Credit to Jules in the last photo - phoning Vicky to bring the trailer down and checking out the video of the event on the camcorder!

Photos by my dear old dad, I wasn't there so only have photos to go on - hopefully everyone is OK and the truck isn't too far gone.

From the ShireLRC e-Group:

Hi all

A big thanks from Julian for the help from you all today. we do have it on video!

It took only 15 seconds for someone to get to the truck to check that he and alex were OK which is impressive!

If anyone has pics please can you send them to me at vic@... please. I have broadband so don't mind what

size.

It is looking fairly bad at the moment as the chassis is bent and possibly twisted which is a real bummer as we have just got it MOT'd (typical), still at least no-one was hurt - and we have film!

Best wishes

Victoria and Julian

and

It started with a hill.....

The fingers up the main hill at Bunny Lane where the pipers started

the new runs (the ones you can see from the main parking area)

Juls was pootling up and down the hills and had done all of them,

however in between someone had been up the steepest one and had dug a

hole with tyre spin.

Juls went up - the tyres started spinning at the top of the climb and

then the 90 slid back down the hill about 3 foot - couldn't get it out

of drive quick enough. Then the back wheels gripped and flipped it

straight over backwards.

We reckon it dropped about 12 foot minimum onto its roof, we counted 5

seconds from Juls being at the top of the hill - to being at the

bottom upsides down! (from the video footage which is great - we are

hoping for a YBF contribution of £250 to the rebuild :-)

It bounced on the drivers side of the cage really heavily.

We got it down to Petes at Stunning Services in Bournemouth this

afternoon, and although the engine hydraulic'ed we got going and it is

running fine.

We were really pleased with the cage because although it has moved a

little, it had the whole weight of the car bounce on it and it is not

too badly damaged at all. Also the back end is perfect - it obviously

balanced well on the sand ladders!

Damage -

Front drivers wing destroyed

Bonnet squashed

ARB bumper twisted but fixable

Truck cab - roof flat and kind of banana shaped (and a bit wonky)

PIA light broken

Radiator went through the fan

Side light (but it still works)

And... the chassis

Outrigger has crushed the drivers side chassis leg

So, anyone got any bright ideas? I fancy waiting a bit till we are

not broke and maybe tomcat it or re-chassis and bobtail it.

LOL Vic

yeah, been on the forum just as you posted it ;) bit of an ar$e moment!

Poor old Jules spent so long tiding it up and put a whole new set of strickers on the truck. :(

Thats the thrid time one of Stunning cages and saved his arse. mmm money well spent

Looks like a bad roll. Glad you are OK.

I notice the safari snorkel is one of the few bits that is still straight. Those things are bloody tuff. I have seen a couple of other defenders that were almost completely destroyed - except for the snorkel.

The snorkel is fine.

I'm at a mates house with sore neck playing with the video.

The cage had taken the full force of the fall but to all those that criticized my cage it had two small bends of about 12-13mm and the car didn't loss any glass but the chassis has kinked as the out rigger meats it by the gearbox.

but when you see the video you will see the impact it took.

We had her up and running yesterday afternoon and gave he a clean to see the extent of the damage the engine is fine and she needs a few new panels.

looking at

Tomcat.

or

New chassis maybe bobtailing it.

looks bad, makes me remind of my own, similar roll. I vagely remember looking into the sky for about a minute, thinking: she will come back in a second. But she didnt.... :blink:

Seems your cage is stronger than the chassis, which makes me think again as to how strong a cage really needs to be. Would be good to show us a picture of the chassis damage for everyone to learn.

All the best,

Daan

Video is now online (thanks to Jules for e-mailing it):

www.shirelrc.co.uk/video/Julian_rolls_90.mov

You'll need Quicktime 7 to play it (well, I did) which can be had for free here:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html

You might need the optional anglo-saxon filter (just tick the "Marshallsay" option on install) :lol:

looks bad, makes me remind of my own, similar roll. I vagely remember looking into the sky for about a minute, thinking: she will come back in a second. But she didnt.... :blink:

Seems your cage is stronger than the chassis, which makes me think again as to how strong a cage really needs to be. Would be good to show us a picture of the chassis damage for everyone to learn.

All the best,

Daan

The truck is down at Stunning services being looked over while I try to workout how to sort it.

I will get some pics of her cleaned and the chasis damage the front right leg is out completlu if you look and the pices the bumper is out of line by about 50mm in the right hand side so the bumper didn't help but it saved the engine bay from being crushed.

but I don't know which would have been better.

Thanks for posting the video John I didn't know where to start putting it on a web site.

send it to safari to see if they will send me a new gorze for the snorkel as the car landed on it.

Julian

Ouch :o that looks nasty :blink:

Glad everyone was ok

JU, I only get the first 9 seconds of the vid no matter what I do :(

Jules, I know a guy who has a 90 he bobtailed but since then he's gone trayback with the same sort of overhangs. It looks a little funny the first time you see it but it really grows on you. Oh, and it's seriously effective.

Grrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't work with me!!!!!!!!!!!! If I try and run it by clicking on the link it only downloads the first 5 seconds or so and then stops and refuses to download more, If I save the target it plays for about 9 seconds then I get a warning coming up saying a buffer overrun has been detected. Any ideas?