roof rack attached to chassis to up the 75kgs limit?

As title suggests really, I've had an offer of a utility roof rack with rear rack to chassis bars and front rack to bulkhead bars. does this up the rated roof limit of 75kgs? I ask this because the rack weighs in at about 65kgs because its mega heavy duty and I've seen the utility company's with loads of equipment up there. Will I be looking for a weight rated plate on this thing? or is the 75kgs limit set regardless?

thanks wayne.

No idea if it legally ups the limit. But I had one on a Stage 1 V8 that came to the bulkhead and also extended over the bonnet and down to the front bumper. Before I had it it had done a couple of trips from UK to south of the Sahara, fully laden. The only sign of stress was that the windscreen frame had snapped in the corners.

Stage 1.jpg

Edited by Orgasmic Farmer

hey farmer that looks like a rack my dad made when I was 9 years old on an old landy we had GHA937L, it was built from scaffold tube and slowed the top speed to 55mph, it did have a perk 4203 as a power plant so I suppose the 55mph wasn't too bad really.

my biggest issue is being stopped and impounded as its my work vehicle, I just cant justify a trailer in the yard just for items that wont fit in the back of the 110.

The limit is not due only to the strength of the body but also the stability of the vehicle while driving.  Making mountings that connect to the chassis could reduce the load capacity as the rack itself will weigh more.  In theory, a roll cage equipped vehicle would have a very low roof load limit.

so I take it that the 75kgs limit is set in stone?

my insurance company have said if the rack is weight rated above the 75kgs and I supply written proof that it is rated by the manufacturer or supplier then all is ok.

the rack ive been offered is a brownchurch so I may give them a bell.

The limit may be variable based on the vehicle spec, especially its suspension and body type, and the exact spec of the rack, so it may be that you can increase the weight.  However, while your insurer may be happy for you to carry more if the rack is so marked, the authorities wouldn't be unless you can get similar approval from LR.  The 75kg dynamic and 150kg static limits are simplified by LR to avoid confusion, error and litigation.  You may find a rack that eliminates all the body stress issues but would then be restricted by suspension and handling issues.  With all the different suspension specs available (spring heigt and rate, damper stiffness, anti-roll bar spec, tyre size and type, etc), it is a minefield, so I doubt you'll get any exemption.

thanks snagger, very informative. ive sent a similar question to the technical enquiries at vosa/dvsa, they have answered trailer issues for me in the past. The word from brownchurch is that the utilities buy special vehicles that are type approved so have the suspension issues etc that you mentioned ironed out and so are allowed to exeed the 75kgs, ill post the reply after.

ps why didn't you take the 109 to Dubai?

are you staying there for good?

wayne

11 hours ago, wayne1978trucks said:

thanks snagger, very informative. ive sent a similar question to the technical enquiries at vosa/dvsa, they have answered trailer issues for me in the past. The word from brownchurch is that the utilities buy special vehicles that are type approved so have the suspension issues etc that you mentioned ironed out and so are allowed to exeed the 75kgs, ill post the reply after.

ps why didn't you take the 109 to Dubai?

are you staying there for good?

wayne

You're welcome.  My comments are logical supposition, so your enquiries may turn up some interesting results, like the Brownchurch response (I have one of their HD racks with the additional braces either side of the windscreen and rear door).

I can't bring the 109 to the UAE because it is RHD (six month entry limit on carnet here, and can't be registered), and because officially vehicle modifications are illegal (take a look at any Jeep, Toyota FJ or Patrol, or any muscle car down here and try to figure that one out).  But my stay here is not permamnent; I just have no idea when I'll choose to come home.

2 hours ago, honitonhobbit said:

Most utility vehicles were built by SVO at Land Rover and had, dare I say it, "IVA" approval so the vehicles weight limits are higher

Indeed and having driven examples of these in a work capacity with loaded roofracks back in the day I can liken the handling to the Mary Rose on her last voyage ;)

• Like 1

dvsa arnt bothered they say we don't answer questions of that nature and could not tell you if your spec of vehicle, suspension or rack is of an acceptable upgrade.

vosa are under the impression that if the rack and suspension modifications are acceptable on a special vehicle issue and match those recommended by special vehicles then there is no problem. eg heavy duty suspension and shocks plus rack to chassis mounts.

so back onto brownchurch to see what mods if any are carried out to their utilities vehicles in order to raise the limit. and of course try to buy the mods through them as a trace.........

ive seen the huge roofrack on their 130.... the rack alone must be more than 75kgs.

err might be a trailer after all......

shall I put a rack on the trailer? ha ha ha.

wayne  

Land rover special vehicles were the masters of ytility 110's but many moved away from them. My employer was replacing over 150 new defenders  year on year and they were all being kitted out by third partys, Bristor at Hixon  was one of them they were also doing western power and severn trents land rovers and I doubt many if any had iva. Our roof racks were stupidly HD and some lads used to then load them to the gunnels and some and as said earlier it does absolutely nothing for handling despite HD suspension some even had the 130 helper rear springs and they were still all over the hocky

I know everyone says it screws the centre of gravity and handling etc, but I have a brownchurch rack and had the roof tent mounted on it all of last summer and I can honestly say it made no difference at all to the road manners of my 110. It's very well mannered and stable and you can throw it about a fair bit if you really want to. It certainly didn't feel like it was going to roll over on every roundabout and I really don't know it's all up there. 

You will be lucky in this day of aversion to any liability that any one will stick their head above the parapet

It never used to be an issue , i had 109s with spare spring leaves, jerrycans and steel boxes full of spares on hd racks in the day . The most important brace was the one  to take the weight off the windscreen corners , and using a flat bar full length along the gutters to spread the load , other wise the door tops would scrape !!    It does really affect the stability , even with HD  1 ton suspension .  With a 110 and coils its worse , you dont want to be trying the moose test at 60mph .

My 109 was dreadful with a loaded rack until I installed a rear ARB from a Marshalls 109 ambulance - that made a world of difference.  I subsequently uprated the front parabolics to three leaf, too, which makes cornering far more stable.

A loaded rack should be matched to uprated springs and dampers, and unless driven very gingerly, I'd stongly recommend decent anti-roll bars. 

I have the stock ARB installed at the rear of my 110 - perhaps that helps with stability. I guess my point was that with moderate loading like mine, i dont think the handling is very severely affected.

I suspect i am near/on the 75kg limit with my roof tent up there. I am never sure how set in stone this is though as you read other sources and only 150kg is mentioned - including in threads talking about contact with LR themselves.

Tacr2man,

I have a full length roof rack on my 110 CSW and I find that when driving in heavy rain the water from the roof floods the gutters, due to the roof rack supports sitting in the gutters and preventing drainage to the rear, and then flows over the edge of the gutters and into the cabin above the poorly fitting doors/door seals.  Does your  "using a flat bar full length along the gutters to spread the load" also solve this problem since your gutters must be almost full for their entire length?  Of course, you may just have a "Friday" Land Rover where nothing is correctly done, and the doors seal just well!:wacko:

Mike