Engine Hoist/ Clutch replacement

Hi Everyone

New to LR ownership but recently bought a 1987 90, with a 200 tdi and a few issues!

Most pressing of these is the clutch, was getting hard to get into gear and then would not go into gear at all with engine running. Goes through gears fine with engine off. Clutch pedal very slack with almost no bite at all but no signs of leaking. 

After reading a lot on here I replaced the slave cylinder and master cylinder and bled but that made no difference, so now decided that next step is probably to replace the clutch, or at least get in there to have a look.

im a pretty amateur mechanic but having read the walk throughs feel alright about doing it myself. The issue I have is that I don't have an engine hoist or funds to buy one at the moment. 

My question is, how possible is it to do without one, and if it's very hard does anyone anywhere near oxford have one that they might consider lending/renting out for a weekend (hopefully won't take me longer than that)? 

Thanks

Jake

Make sure you measure up the distance from the front bumper to the centre of the engine so you get a hoist with sufficient reach. I was lucky enough to be able to borrow one but the cylinder fouled the bumper. Took some creative rigging to get the engine back in.

Thanks for the help

i do have a friendly local mechanic so I'll measure up the distance as suggested and see if he can help with a hoist. 

next step is ordering what I need, so I'm thinking

valeo clutch assembly and as suggested a new release arm and bearing

Anything I've not thought of? All my previous experience has been on two stroke motorbike engines so this is all new to me

Thanks

jake 

use these clutch parts

friction plate UBQ000130

pressure cover URB100760

if you have a LT77 main gearbox release bearing is FTC5200, If it's a 'stumpy' R380 use bearing UTJ100210

Also have a look in the tech archive index for clutch change or release arm change with gearbox in the vehicle.

• 1 month later...

Been away and busy so landy has been on hold for a bit. Did manage to replace the clutch and release arm etc, everything mounted back in but really struggling to get the prop shafts back in. 

If the front ones in then the back won't go and vice versa, not really sure why this is or what exactly I should do.

only thing I can think of doing is sticking the back on axle stands and turning the wheels until it will line up?

any help great, appreciated as always

cheers

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

I might be being stupid, but can't you just stick the transfer box in neutral with the centre diff unlocked and it should do what you want without any jacking?

Yes. But getting to all the nuts is easier with a wheel off the ground.

Mike