If you value this forum's future please support us
Sign in to follow this  
Cornish Rattler

Another 3k-4k and its done

Hi guys

Just had a rough recon up of how much I need to spend on the 2a before its finished and it doesn't inc tyres and lights comes to roughly between 3k-4k and I no we sold the 90 instead and we have already put £1.800 into it all ready, its amazing how much money we put into our landy's its a good job I do a savings plan at work ( what I put in they put in aswell ) so around the time son gets married I will be getting a 3k lump sum from work can't wait :P

Anyone else done this :)

They are serious money pits...

You've proven to be a wise man !

19 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Anyone else done this :)

What, spent piles of cash on an old Series? Noooo not me... :hysterical:

My Lady reads here, too, and that means if I'd write what we've spent on projects, I'll be lucky to sleep outside...

Posted (edited)

Hi Arjan, for a 200(t)di you can sleep in my shipping container :D

And yup. I've bought my 109 for 3000eur, put atleast a 500+500+700 in interiour, wheels (not tyres), discbrakes.

Easily another 1000 on random stuff: hinges, seals, cooling, clutch stuff, bushes etc.

And it still isn't driving :P
Hoping to get it driving soon tough (with original block and gearboxes)

Edited by xychix

Once the Series Hybrid is up & running again, I need to come your way....

For some reason, the people LTDS seem to be not too happy with my converisons...

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:58 PM, Arjan said:

My Lady reads here, too, and that means if I'd write what we've spent on projects, I'll be lucky to sleep outside...

That's the best thing about not having a wife and owning a landy my money is all mine :P

Reckon mine must be a keeper then as she has been an accomplice in the Ambulance camper conversion (not a Series but you know...)

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Reckon mine must be a keeper then as she has been an accomplice in the Ambulance camper conversion (not a Series but you know...)

Likewise, buying me a new chassis and Turner Eng rebuild as well as having her own Lightweight and 90.

The thing is, for all the money you pour into rebuilding a Series or Defender, if you are goinmg to keep it it's an investment; it's ultimately cheaper than buying a airly new car that rapidly depreciates and still costs money in repairs and servicing (both of which are more costly than on these vehicles anyway).

I content myself with the idea that the 109 has cost less than some of the challenge boys spend on winches, and the ambulance has cost about 1/3rd of an old VW camper (or a newer one for that matter) whilst being far more practical, robust, and (IMHO) more unique.

I hate to think how many times I've been at "only a few thousand more and it'll be done" stage :( And it still looks like this :/

Gx8XNSY.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Tim_NZ

Daaaaamn that's clean. That's cleaner and straighter than anything left the flippin' factory. The only thing keeping me from a fit of jealous rage is it's the wrong wheelbase :P

No matter how much I spend on the 109 it will never be clean or straight :( I guess that's the penalty for using it off-road. So many parts I've cleaned and fitted with great care and then one outing later they have a permanent matt brown patina that shall never be removed no matter how much you clean it :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it makes you feel any better, FF, the steering wheel is a bit of a disaster :P

0iIu9on.jpg

(Apologies for the hijack)

Cheers,

You see, when you have a build like this... how do you pluck up the courage to even allow it to leave a covered area? knowing full well it will start to rust in front of you... god a hate land rovers.... no I actually love them.... but god I hate them...:blink: