Defender heater matrix

I have a slight coolant leak from my 300Tdi. Can't find it, can't see it, but can smell it when the engine is hot - it's got the pink rotten fish coolant in it.

I have concluded it must be a weep inside the heater matrix to be creating a smell inside the vehicle without any obvious trace under the bonnet. It isn't losing any measureable amount of coolant yet but without tracking down the leak, there is always the chance it might get worse at an inconvenient moment.

The workshop manual suggests you have to take the whole heater out to look at the matrix which seems like a massive pain. Is this correct? I've never had one out, don't think I even know anybody who has had to replace one despite many years in the business.

You do need to take it out but it's only about 4 bolts and 2 cables. It takes about 10mins then you need to drill out the rivets open up the box change the matrix and put it all back together. I think it took me 2 hours all in and I've got a second one to do soon.

Mike

Yes to removing the heater unit to replace matrix, mine went while driving from Truro to home, I thought it was very foggy outside, dropped my window to see outside was clear, inside was all steamed up due to matrix leaking into cab, couldn't see a darn thing through the steam, new matrix cured it, the top cover had started to split & leak, coolant doesn't smell or taste very nice. 

3 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

Just a question to help my general education, you say it has the pink coolant. Isn’t a 300TDi supppsed to use the older blue stuff? 

That's what I thought. I used the blue stuff when I had a 300Tdi. I thought as a quick rule of thumb cars before 1998 use the blue stuff anything after that use the red/pink stuff.

I did this job a few weeks ago after mine started leaking. Yes heater box has to come out but doesn’t take long. Worth getting new bulkhead and duct seals etc. for when it goes back in. Plus some closed cell foam for padding the matrix inside the box.

I used a nice copper made unit which works very well, only issue was getting the pipes back on as they were a smidgen closer together than the plastic one. Got there in the end though, heater nice and toasty and demister working well.

7 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Just a question to help my general education, you say it has the pink coolant. Isn’t a 300TDi supppsed to use the older blue stuff? 

Not a 300Tdi built in 2006...

That'll make you think :D

Thanks for the other feedback. I have decided that I am now not sure where it is coming from, and I'm going to leave it and see if it gets any worse and check the levels regularly. It isn't losing any juice, just a faint smell of hot coolant.

Steve,

Sir Les showed be a trick on my 110.. We drilled the rivets out and bent the top up to get the matrix out... Snug but saved taking anything off the truck.

Packed the new matrix in well and then bent the top down again and held it all down while we added the rivets back in.

It worked a charm.

• Thanks 1

Leak test your system...

I found a big bung from a brewing website got an old bike innertube filler nozzle and pulled it through the centre hole in the bung, whip off the cap and put said bung in hole quite firmly, then using a mountain bike shock pump, pump her up, see what happens :)

No leaks - pressure is normal when hot, and the vehicle has been through several hot/cold cycles in the last few days plus a long trip this morning (2hrs, cool off, then another hour) with no drop in the header tank. The weird thing is that after an hour or so the smell disappears. I'm beginning to think that there is a point in the warming up cycle where something is expanding and lets a tiny drop of coolant out but then takes up when it gets to operating temp.

Have you disturbed the system recently?

I capped off the old EGR coolant pipes recently and let some coolant water escape in the process.

I still get a whiff of coolant occasionally after 3000 miles but the header tank level hasn’t moved.

I can only assume the remnants of the anti-freeze somewhere on the block is causing the smell somehow.

It is gradually reducing !

Weirdly, the problem has gone away. I have been away for a few days and took this vehicle on a kill-or-cure basis. The first couple of days it smelled every time it warmed up but after a while it subsided, and the smell gradually seems to have faded. No coolant loss at all. I think I'll just stop worrying about it!